Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

15 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

As also stated in another thread, when your chief complaint is it's too sweet, when it's objectively less sweet than dairy milk with about 2/3 of the sugar, maybe it's just down to the guy that keeps cocking up your drinks putting too much sugar in? 

I quite like it, but different strokes and all that. Fortunately there's about a dozen alternatives, and there's not a vegan council forcing everyone to drink it. ?

I don't take sugar, nor did he put any in. So that theory is bunk

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Ok. 

It obviously depends what you're comparing it to, and even what brand it was, but yeah you could just not drink it and everyone will be happy. 

I'm comparing to milk obviously. Clearly, I'm never going to knowingly drink it again. You could obviously just have said, "yes it's sweet" or "hmm yes, its an acquired taste" instead of defending something that didn't need defending, you might even have admitted it was sweet in the first place instead of quoting the relative sugar content of Milk vs Oat Juice.

It's never seemed sweet to me, and the relative sugar contents (1/3 less in oat milk than in dairy milk) seemed relevant. I've literally tried 3 or 4 brands and I usually add maple syrup to it in my porridge, because it has less natural sweetness than dairy milk.

I've literally never heard anyone complaining it was too sweet before. But I'll bow to your knowledge, having have had it in one beverage, by someone who you admitted having a record for making shit drinks.

Honestly, from your misleading posts about booze, to your concerns about vegans not having any shoes, the chip on your shoulder in this thread makes me laugh. I wouldn't eat chips by the way, they're usually vegan. ;) 

You could obviously just have said, "yes it's sweet" or "hmm yes, its an acquired taste"

My first reply to this:

Might not be to your tastes, which is fair enough, but it's certainly not particularly sweet

Edited by Davkaus

One of the issues with ‘dairy alternatives’ (soy, almond, cashew etc milks) is that they don’t steam well (in coffee shops) - they tend to break down.

Oat milk is one that steams well and has a creamy texture - at least a far more creamy texture than any of the other alternatives.

I think it goes really well in coffee where you want the coffee to be the overwhelming flavor and (at least for me) the milk/alternative takes the tart edge off the intensity of the coffee and adds a creamy texture.

If you have been drinking tea with regular milk your whole life (as I had) then I doubt oat or any other alternative will work. I am yet to find a dairy alternative that tastes right. So my 1st choice is always oat milk with coffee - especially if it’s steamed by a barista.

Edited by TheAuthority
Bick’s being a pedant when he knew what I meant :-p

I’ll just add that if you think coffee is that freeze dried rat shit such as Nescafé and other instant jar crap then I couldn’t care less if you mix goat piss in with it. You are a no taste philistine and your views have zero validity on this matter.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

One of the issues with ‘dairy alternatives’ (soy, almond, cashew etc milks) is that they don’t steam well (in coffee shops) - they tend to break down.

Definite pain in the arse. You even have to be careful with oat milk. I find Alpro's one is fine in coffee, and Oatly's Barista version is exceptional (but expensive), the cheaper ones go a bit gross though.

I can't have anything except oat milk in tea, I find the others (especially soy and almond) to dominate the flavour of the drink, but oat milk is fairly subtle for me. Cashew milk isn't too bad either, actually, but again, it's pretty expensive.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Oat milk is one that steams well and has a creamy texture - at least a far more creamy texture than any of the other alternatives.

I think it goes really well in coffee where you want the coffee to be the overwhelming flavor and (at least for me) the milk/alternative takes the tart edge off the intensity of the coffee and adds a creamy texture.

If you have been drinking tea with regular milk your whole life (as I had) then I doubt oat or any other alternative will work. I am yet to find a dairy alternative that tastes right. So my 1st choice is always oat milk with coffee - especially if it’s steamed by a barrister.

Is the bar exam that worthless these days? :mrgreen:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I’ll just add that if you think coffee is that freeze dried rat shit such as Nescafé and other instant jar crap then I couldn’t care less if you mix goat piss in with it. You are a no taste philistine and your views have zero validity on this matter.

I don't. Im currently sat 2 foot away from my espresso machine. French press for work though

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I wouldn't eat chips by the way, they're usually vegan. ;) 

Not round here, they're not. Any Yorkshire chippy worthy of the name fries them in beef dripping. ?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

2e3alg.jpg

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Yes, Yes, Yes. Stupid term, its just a black coffee 

I guess it's stupid to use that term here, but it's an Italian term, where black coffee is an espresso.

It's a bit like "American Football" in that respect. It woudl be stupid to use "American Football" in America, because that's just football. But you have to use it here to distinguish it from our football. Just like the Italians have to distinguish it from their coffee.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I guess it's stupid to use that term here, but it's an Italian term, where black coffee is an espresso.

It's a bit like "American Football" in that respect. It woudl be stupid to use "American Football" in America, because that's just football. But you have to use it here to distinguish it from our football. Just like the Italians have to distinguish it from their coffee.

Americans should be forced to call it American Football, just so they know it isn't proper ? But I get your point

• Like 1

Off topic, but I was at a dinner in Italy with some of our Italian staff and one of my english colleagues tried to order a cappuccino after his dinner. Their reactions was hilarious. It was like he'd ordered a baby's head :D 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Americans should be forced to call it American Football, just so they know it isn't proper. 

My Dad always called it "American rugby". 

Â