Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

Pinned to the bbc COVID feed for 24 hours - Israel donates Pfizer jabs so that Palestinians can get them early. Mentioned briefly once today - Palestinians reject jabs cos about to expire use by date FFS

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

New government, same shit

Israel moves ahead with plans for some 3,000 settler homes

JERUSALEM, Oct 27 (Reuters) - Israel moved forward on Wednesday with plans to build some 3,000 homes for Jewish settlers in the occupied West Bank, projects that have drawn strong criticism from its U.S. ally.

An Israeli defence official said a planning forum of Israel's liaison office with the Palestinians gave preliminary approval for plans to build 1,344 housing units and its final go-ahead for projects to construct 1,800 homes.

The United States had already voiced strong opposition to the plans to advance the settlement units in the West Bank, saying such moves would damage prospects of a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Ahead of the planning committee's meeting, Israel on Sunday published tenders for about 1,300 new settlement homes in the West Bank, where some 440,000 settlers live among 3 million Palestinians.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-moves-forward-with-plans-some-3000-settler-homes-monitoring-group-says-2021-10-27/

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Same as it ever was

Israel consulted with US before covert strikes on Iran missile, nuke sites — report

New York Times says alleged hits on missile base, centrifuge facility earlier in year were discussed with US; Israel worried Washington will stop it taking action if new deal made

Israel consulted with the United States before carrying out covert strikes on an Iranian nuclear facility and a missile base earlier this year, the New York Times reported Saturday, as tensions rise between the two allies over Washington’s desire to make a deal with Tehran.

Israel spoke with the US ahead of a strike in September against a missile base, and one in June on a facility which made components for machines used to enrich uranium, sources told the newspaper.

Israeli allegedly hit a secret missile base belonging to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps in September and in June was said to have targeted a facility in Karaj used in the construction of centrifuges needed to enrich uranium.

Israel has not publicly accepted responsibility for either of the strikes.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-consulted-with-us-before-covert-strikes-on-iran-military-nuke-sites-report/

Trump: I thought Israelis would do anything for peace, but found that not to be true

In further quotes from new book, ex-president says Netanyahu ‘never’ wanted peace deal, calls Abbas a ‘father’ figure, claims he prevented annexation: ‘I got angry and stopped it’

In newly released interview excerpts Saturday, former United States president Donald Trump offered more startlingly frank views on Israel’s leadership during his time in office, a day after he was quoted in an astounding assault on ex-premier Benjamin Netanyahu.

In the latest taped comments broadcast by Channel 12, Trump said he believed Netanyahu “did not want to make peace. Never did”; claimed he prevented the Israeli leader from annexing West Bank land (“I got angry and I stopped it”); offered his favorable opinion on Defense Minister Benny Gantz (“I think [he] wanted to make a deal… if he won, I think it would be a lot easier”); and his evolving view on the Israel-Palestinian conflict (“I [had] thought the Palestinians were impossible, and the Israelis would do anything to make peace and a deal. I found that not to be true”).

Speaking to journalist Barak Ravid earlier this year for an upcoming book, the ex-president commented on his efforts to mediate between Jerusalem and Ramallah, and his feeling as time went on that Netanyahu wasn’t truly interested in reaching a settlement.

Trump said that when he came into office, he’d asked Netanyahu for overtures toward the Palestinians, raising the possibility of a construction freeze in the West Bank, but the Israeli leader often demurred.

“Bibi did not want to make a deal,” he said, using Netanyahu’s nickname. “Even most recently, when we came up with the maps” as part of his administration’s peace plan, Netanyahu’s reaction was “‘Oh this is good, good,’ everything was always great, but he was never… he did not want to make a deal.

Trump said he believed that Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas “wanted to make a deal more than Netanyahu. And I will be honest, I had a great meeting with him, Abbas, right. I had a great meeting with him. And we spent a lot of time together, talking about many things. And it was almost like a father. I mean, he was so nice, couldn’t have been nicer.”

Trump recalled he then told Netanyahu that “I had a very good meeting with Abbas. We can definitely do a deal.” The Israeli leader’s response? “‘Well, let’s think about it. Let’s not move too fast, you know.’ After he started talking, I said, wait a minute, you don’t want to make a deal.

“And he said, ‘Well, uh, uh, uh.’ And the fact is I don’t think Bibi ever wanted to make a deal.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/trump-i-thought-israelis-would-do-anything-for-peace-but-found-that-not-to-be-true/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We hear a lot about 'the two state solution', but in reality when Israeli politicians talk to Israeli audiences, they really could not be any clearer that there is no such thing. Lest anyone think that was purely a Netanyahu position:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think we might need to rename this thread "The War of 2022" or (hopefully not) "WWIII", since Iran just launched a missile attack on the US consulate in Erbil, Iraq (capital of Kurdistan).

Putting it in here, because surely coordinated with Putin.

Eurgh. For ****'s **** sake.

Absolutely not a racist state. 

Israeli politicians say the law is both an essential security measure to prevent Palestinian terror attacks and a means of preserving a Jewish majority in Israel.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Israel killed a journalist the other day. Shot in the head by a sniper as she reported in the IDF raiding a house in the West Bank.

This is her funeral procession.

**** Israel.

They also ransacked her house after denying killing her.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Israel killed a journalist the other day. Shot in the head by a sniper as she reported in the IDF raiding a house in the West Bank.

This is her funeral procession.

**** Israel.

And for some reason the Palestinians don't want to cooperate in a joint investigaton into the murder. I wonder why. F***ing scum.

Edited by sparrow1988

Â