Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I do find it fascinating looking reddit, facebook, tabloids etc. It seems very clear Israel got a 'Russian' propeganda factory going on.

They were doing it long before the Russians. They are the bloody propaganda experts - online and beyond.

• Like 1

Netanyahu makes my blood boil. He doesn’t even hold a majority. I’m confident that his biggest wish since losing the election was that either hezbollah or hamas would give him an excuse to boost his ratings by bombing something with his new British made missiles.

USA and Britain has blood on their hands. They pushed for this ‘solution’, fed the country with weapons and enable this sort of behaviour by being deafeningly silent.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

The bombing tonight has stepped up a level. There is going to be a serious humanitarian crisis in Gaza after this.

Business as usual then?

Israel are not gonna let up i feel. They are really keeping the foot on their throat and trying to wipe Hamas out for good but these aren't targeted attacks. Innocent Palestinians been killed. Has to stop. UN are so useless. They do nothing.

It’s so hard to know what the truth is in these situations any more, both sides no doubt using propaganda and there’s little to no verification these days.

The only why you’d get a real grip on what’s actually happening is if you were there to see it for yourself, unedited and unfiltered.

But this conflict has been raging for as long as history can recall essentially, okay today it’s depicted as Jews vs Arabs but is it really any different to the Crusades? Still opposing religious groups fighting over a piece of land they deem to be holy to their faith. 

All it really confirms for me is that if religion was to be eradicated (somehow) I’m sure we’d all get along a whole bunch better.

51 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s so hard to know what the truth is in these situations any more, both sides no doubt using propaganda and there’s little to no verification these days.

The only why you’d get a real grip on what’s actually happening is if you were there to see it for yourself, unedited and unfiltered.

But this conflict has been raging for as long as history can recall essentially, okay today it’s depicted as Jews vs Arabs but is it really any different to the Crusades? Still opposing religious groups fighting over a piece of land they deem to be holy to their faith. 

All it really confirms for me is that if religion was to be eradicated (somehow) I’m sure we’d all get along a whole bunch better.

They’re fighting over land rights. If you got rid of all religions it would just switch to some other banner people would fight under. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

They’re fighting over land rights. If you got rid of all religions it would just switch to some other banner people would fight under. 

But that particular piece of land is only deemed important based on mystical religious beliefs, at least amongst the general public anyway (I understand the region itself offered a solid strategic foothold in the region for the US/UK etc but given the advancements in warfare is it really strategically necessary any longer?).

I linked recently to an article about new legislation in Florida, that allows people to drive cars into protesters with the aim of injuring or killing them:

Seems the tactic has made its way to the UK:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

They're fighting over land rights

Due to their religious beliefs Palestinians don't have any, due to their religious beliefs the Israelis do... 

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s an interesting theory. That if we removed religion, then the Arabic speaking people currently being displaced and kept in perpetual stateless poverty by the Hebrew speaking people, they’d all get on a lot better.

I guess another spin off would be an atheist UK scrapping any immigration policy for any atheist economic migrants.

This is not a defence of religion, more a suspicion peoples would find something else to war over. Language, fuel sources, water, skin colour, pineapple on pizza. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sne said:

I was watching the news on Friday, I think it was. And it kind of struck me that the first problem to overcome is the completely lop-sided, imbalanced nature of the abilities of the different sides.

On the one hand, there is Hamas, with its inaccurate Iranian rockets which it fires into Israel indiscriminately, killing a few completely uninvolved kids or other people. Most are able to shelter in purpose built bunkers. It's pure terrorism from Hamas.

On the other hand is the Israeli Military and government, with a huge and powerful array of jets and artillery and first world capability. Unfortunately it needs that capability, because a significant par of the rest of the middle east wants to (or says it wants to) eliminate Israel from the face of the earth. But Israel has a legal and moral responsibility not to be disproportionate in reacting to terrorism. It is not. Not remotely. It quite deliberately over-reacts every single time, because it can, because it suits them and because of the imbalance of capability. There are no consequences for the  collective punishment, for the abuse of journalists, for the war crimes. They get away with it every single time. It benefits them (their Gov't) to rouse up support against the terrorists, in the same way it benefits Hamas to do their terrorism against Israelis to gain support following retribution.

So every time either side's politicians find themselves in need of a bit of a popularity boost, off they go with their terrorism/collective punishment. It takes some doing for Israel's Gov't to look like the really bad guys when compared against a terrorist organisation, but they do. The monumentally disproportionate use of force against civilians, against infrastructure like hospitals, media places, roads, water plants and so on is beyond appalling and abhorrent. But it will stay like that until or unless the imbalance in capability and consequence is addressed, and that's why I think that tweet is spot on. Israel as a nation, or Gov't is not going to lose and knows it can't lose militarily. So there has to be other consequences for their current over-use of military might to be reigned in, for the equation to be one not of "an easy win" but of a balance - they have a right to defend themselves against indiscriminate rocket attacks should that arise. But they do not have a right to commit war crimes, to collectively punish a population. That has to be laid out starkly in absolute clarity. While the US in particular vetoes any condemnation, any sanction, any action at all that won't happen. So that has to change.

None of the above is a comment on "who started it", or who has what property or land rights or any of that long terms stuff - it's just about the imbalance of capability and thus the over-application of the stronger "might" having no adverse consequences for Israel's government. It's easy to batter the weak kid, but until the wider world acts against you for bullying, you'll keep battering the weak kid for doing stuff, whenever it suits you. 

Â