Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

Has this conflict always been like this, or is it because of social media and camera phones that i am a lot more aware of both sides of the story?

Or maybe i'm just a bit older now and when i was younger i didn't give really care if it didn't affect me personally.

Watch the documentary 5 broken cameras 

Its nothing new and gives you a good idea as to what they do and how they do it 

From memory the most shocking thing about that was the land grabbing and settlement rights, imagine waking up one morning to find a guy had built a shed in your back garden... Now imagine if the laws of your country meant that that shed means that your back garden now belongs to him... 

Edited by villa4europe

Unfortunately it's very recently been removed from 4OD but if you can find it anywhere, the 2011 Channel 4 drama series The Promise is a brilliant back story to the conflict.

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Watch the documentary 5 broken cameras 

Its nothing new and gives you a good idea as to what they do and how they do it 

Have a friend who's lived down there and made 2 documentaries called Welcome to Hebron and Israel vs Israel, they are both worth the watch if you can find them.

• Like 1

I'd love to know how this is being discussed at leadership levels in Israel. Previous gems include "cutting the grass", which has been used to describe these type of assaults on the Gaza concentration camp.

58 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Has this conflict always been like this, or is it because of social media and camera phones that i am a lot more aware of both sides of the story?

Or maybe i'm just a bit older now and when i was younger i didn't give really care if it didn't affect me personally.

It's been like this particularly for the past 25 years or so. The Intifada era - intifida means 'rebellion, uprising' in Arabic, and has been used to describe the major moments of unrest in the conflict since the 90s, most notably the al-Aqsa Intifada which started in 2001 and ran on and off for 5 years.

Looking into this whole conflict the actions of Israel will open your eyes. Randomly sniping people at checkpoints, collective punishments such as bulldozing the houses of relatives of Palestinians they have convicted (including times where they did so with buildings still occupied), stealing land by building settlements on it against international law and then making them legal, the long running tactic of assassinating opposition leaders with missiles regardless of the collateral damage.

They have literally made non-Jews who are lucky enough to live in Israel and not what's left of Palestine second class citizens. Literally.

It's disgusting. And it's just waived through.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

I skip read this one book (well, two there was an old and a new testament) and it appears it’s been going on for quite some time. Pre dates their even being Muslims, which puts a bit of a different spin on it all being because of religion.

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Unfortunately it's very recently been removed from 4OD but if you can find it anywhere, the 2011 Channel 4 drama series The Promise is a brilliant back story to the conflict.

And another is this documentary by Louis Theroux. It used to be on the BBC and Netflix but has disappeared off both. Now I can only find it on Vimeo

https://vimeo.com/102569427

Edit just to be clear, this documentary is about 'ultra Zionists' who are not representative of all Israelis.

Edited by darrenm

Years of persecution and discrimination with no answers leads to groups like Hamas. Freedom fighters to some, terrorist organisations to others. Israel will feel like they have no choice but to wipe them out and feel they are able to justify this as an attack on terror.  In the meantime thousands of innocent people lose their lives. Similar happened in Punjab during the 80s and 90s although never to this extent. 

Unfortunately the world will just watch on. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Years of persecution and discrimination with no answers leads to groups like Hamas. Freedom fighters to some, terrorist organisations to others. Israel will feel like they have no choice but to wipe them out and feel they are able to justify this as an attack on terror.  In the meantime thousands of innocent people lose their lives. Similar happened in Punjab during the 90s although never to this extent. 

Now i have to ask - what happened in Punjab in the 90's?

17 hours ago, ender4 said:

Now i have to ask - what happened in Punjab in the 90's?

Years of discrimination and lack of funding to Punjab from Indian government led to separatist groups which wanted an independent state for Sikhs. These groups were eventually labelled as terrorists and an attack was conducted on the Golden Temple (Sikhs holiest temple) by the Indian Army as this where the so called terrorists were hiding. Inexplicably a holy day was chosen so the crowds were larger than ever. Many innocent died. Throughout the 80s to 90s there was a crackdown on any suspected separatism which led to many young Sikh men being murdered and buried in mass graves. It was like a purge. 

Amongst this the Indian Prime minister at the time was murdered by her Sikh bodyguards in a revenge attack. This led to riots in Delhi and an attempted genocide of Sikhs in the city. Thousands murdered whilst police looked on.

The world just watched.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Israel have bombed and destroyed the building housing the Associated Press and Al Jazeera today. 

I think that tells its own story.

Här träffas Jala Tower efter det israeliska luftangreppet i Gaza.

Â