New Manager Speculation

maqroll

1 minute ago, peterms said:

This is where the idea of Henry and Wenger is attractive.  It's not an impossible prospect - while Wenger wouldn't move from Arsenal to us as manager, the idea of being elder statesman to his protege would possibly make it a respectable and almost altruistic move, instead of a big step down as a mark of failure.  And having Wenger around would definitely offer a lot of reassurance against an untested young manager otherwise without recourse to a trusted, massively experienced mentor.

Definitely. I’d say the idea of revolutionising the club is more than attractive, it’s essential, both for fans and owners. How and who to employ to do that is the challenging first step. I’d be concerned if we got in people who’d want to live in London, take the money and not be wholeheartedly committed. Not saying that would the case with your combo, but it might be...who knows

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, blandy said:

The negative side isn't base on nothing. Which isn't to say that there couldn't be a positive outcome...but most people I think would accept that he's untried, untested and unfamiliar with this division? The positives, as I said above is this type of gamble has worked in the past, at for example Chelsea. There are a long list of great players who haven't hacked it at all as managers.

It's fine to be excited about such a possibility. But equally, I can remember being, er, chastised for my concerns about and "not getting behind" SB before he was appointed. For once in my life I was exactly right that time. Other times I've been wrong (more often). But go back and read any thread speculating on a new manager and you'll see a mix of views about different possibilities. Some people end up right, and some wrong. I get the desire to be positive and hope for better results and football and future - I share it. Equally, it's not exactly unique to have concerns about an untested candidate. Any appointment is a risk, and most end up as failures to one degree or another. I hope whoever it is does really well. I just can't think of any comparable situations where a big name untried manager has stormed it in the way you hope and revolutionises a club. Even going abroad, and looking at the top managers now, most were unknowns, or never World class players, when they started managing. Klopp, Mourinho, Guardiola (good player)...most are not world cup winners. But to end on a positive, willingness to start lower down is a good sign, and he would attract players and assistants through reputation. So here's hoping for the best, Jas.

Hi. Not sure if I’ve been misunderstood or failed to convey my thoughts correctly.

I’m not saying that Henry would definitely be a success here. The point I was trying to make is that when his name is brought up, it tends to be greeted with fear and pessimism rather than excitement. 

Whereas if Terry or even Mellberg are brought up, there seems to be more enthusiasm there.

There is certainly an element of the unknown, and I really don’t want to repeat myself, but I see a lot of positives and feel he would be a better appointment than some of the other names that have been mentioned. I’m just a bit surprised at the reaction to the link and expected more excitement I suppose.

Gerrard and Lampard don’t seem to have done badly so far and would/should have been seen as risks but they are inferior players imo and have played under lesser managers and do not have the wider variety of experiences as compared to Henry. He’s won so much in his career aswell and not just in one place/team/league.

Again, I’m not saying it would work out but it doesn’t seem a bad shout to me. There are other options that are obviously more experienced and deemed less risky but no one can guarantee that Henry would or would not do a better job. It seems like a “risk” worth taking imo but I don’t expect others to see it the same way. Just, we don’t have to expect it to turn out badly when it could actually turn out well.

Hope that makes some sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Surprised seeing some of the (unrealiatic?)  names being put out there Rui Vitoria hasn’t been linked from Benfica .... not gunna happen I know but fits the attacking Portuguese high winning % vibe ..... i can’t  see past Henry .... Belgium play 12th & 16th .... so I reckon Sunday or Monday ... 

2 hours ago, USA_Villa said:

My thoughts on a number of the names discussed so far:

Smith - Would jump at the chance of managing Villa. The 'I'm happy at Brentford' talk is just that.

Rodgers - Won't come to the Villa. Wants a Premier League job next, and why wouldn't he get one?

Henry - Just don't know if he has the coaching background to succeed. Does he have his UEFA-Pro License? Does he see himself starting in the Championship?

Foreigners - No idea. Don't know enough on any of them to offer a constructive comment

I would give it to Dean Smith.

This sounds like the Wyness report when he came up with Bruce!

• Haha 3

Anyway, as long as we make a fairly exciting/encouraging appointment (preferably young or not too old & foreign) who encourages attacking football, I will be happy and get behind him.

I don’t really have a first choice but I want us to take advantage of this opportunity and really move on as a club. We really need refreshing and modernising, we’ve been stagnant for far too long. I just want to get excited and feel enthusiastic about supporting Villa for a change!!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

WHy the hell would people put bets on Moyes??

Probably because the odds drop and Sky Sports say he's one of the favourites, even if they know jack shit, it makes people feel like they're missing out on winning cash so bet on him, then they'll throw another name about and shorten the odds on them. Simple, effective, disgraceful abuse of power. 

• Like 3

I'm a pragmatist, so I'm looking at our next manager from that point of view.

We are currently 7 points behind the automatic promotion places. This is a bridgeable gap with the right type of manager in charge, and the prime promotion rivals (apart from Sheffield Utd and Brentford) still to play twice during this season.

Smith and Wilder would both hit the ground running playing against opposition that they know really well.

They are both attacking managers who share a philosophy in as much as their teams always set up to win matches and never set up not to lose.

We have the right players to adjust very quickly to the attacking and competitive way both Smith and Wilder play and train.

Henry could come in and be brilliant, or as others have said he may well find that his lack of intimate knowledge of the Championship and it's lower level of skill but higher level of physical intensity, may well cause him initial adjustment problems.

In my opinion we can't afford to risk a possible adjustment period for a Championship newcomer, no matter how much potential he has.

I don't include Rodgers in this as the Scottish Premier and the Championship share common characteristics, and he's already managed three clubs in the Championship although that was some time ago.

That's where the pragmatism comes in. Ignore the possibly brilliant, don't take the risk on a bigger name with a sexy history (at this moment in time). Appoint Smith, Wilder or Rodgers in good time for the next match, and concentrate on one hell of a promotion push!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'm a pragmatist, so I'm looking at our next manager from that point of view.

We are currently 7 points behind the automatic promotion places. This is a bridgeable gap with the right type of manager in charge, and the prime promotion rivals (apart from Sheffield Utd and Brentford) still to play twice during this season.

Smith and Wilder would both hit the ground running playing against opposition that they know really well.

They are both attacking managers who share a philosophy in as much as their teams always set up to win matches and never set up not to lose.

We have the right players to adjust very quickly to the attacking and competitive way both Smith and Wilder play and train.

Henry could come in and be brilliant, or as others have said he may well find that his lack of intimate knowledge of the Championship and it's lower level of skill but higher level of physical intensity, may well cause him initial adjustment problems.

In my opinion we can't afford to risk a possible adjustment period for a Championship newcomer, no matter how much potential he has.

I don't include Rodgers in this as the Scottish Premier and the Championship share common characteristics, and he's already managed three clubs in the Championship although that was some time ago.

That's where the pragmatism comes in. Ignore the possibly brilliant, don't take the risk on a bigger name with a sexy history (at this moment in time). Appoint Smith, Wilder or Rodgers in good time for the next match, and concentrate on one hell of a promotion push!

Rodgers is unlikley to come - Wilder is managing his boyhood club and doesn't look likley to move - and the way Smith spoke sounds like he isn't expecting the call.

Unless they're managing in the top 6 of the top division, competing in the latter stages of the Champions League, or have a deep, long standing connection with their current club, I honestly believe we can tempt most. 

Our squad in the Championship, the money our owners have to back us, the ambition.. We are prime for a manager to succeed. Couple that with the fact we're Aston Villa, and if we come knocking I think your Rodgers', your Fonseca's or your Spanish waiters would raise an eyebrow and consider it. Certainly. 

Maybe I'm dilluded, but Dean Saunders echoed it on the radio this morning. "It doesn't matter who you are, or where you are in your coaching career, if Aston Villa corm knocking, you're gonna have something to think about" 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Probably because the odds drop and Sky Sports say he's one of the favourites, even if they know jack shit, it makes people feel like they're missing out on winning cash so bet on him, then they'll throw another name about and shorten the odds on them. Simple, effective, disgraceful abuse of power. 

Surely anyone with half a brain would do a minutes search on the web before betting and realise there is not one single link to Moyes.

Hope some ITK hasn’t leaked something. 

30 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Hi. Not sure if I’ve been misunderstood or failed to convey my thoughts correctly.

I’m not saying that Henry would definitely be a success here. The point I was trying to make is that when his name is brought up, it tends to be greeted with fear and pessimism rather than excitement. 

Whereas if Terry or even Mellberg are brought up, there seems to be more enthusiasm there.

There is certainly an element of the unknown, and I really don’t want to repeat myself, but I see a lot of positives and feel he would be a better appointment than some of the other names that have been mentioned. I’m just a bit surprised at the reaction to the link and expected more excitement I suppose.

Gerrard and Lampard don’t seem to have done badly so far and would/should have been seen as risks but they are inferior players imo and have played under lesser managers and do not have the wider variety of experiences as compared to Henry. He’s won so much in his career aswell and not just in one place/team/league.

Again, I’m not saying it would work out but it doesn’t seem a bad shout to me. There are other options that are obviously more experienced and deemed less risky but no one can guarantee that Henry would or would not do a better job. It seems like a “risk” worth taking imo but I don’t expect others to see it the same way. Just, we don’t have to expect it to turn out badly when it could actually turn out well.

Hope that makes some sense.

Where does this Lampard is doing well come from ? - We are 10 games and Derby have 2 more points than us - thats whelans penalty kick and we are level pegging. 

2 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

So just to summarise the believability of the various sources in order and positioned relative to each other on the believability scale, with the top ones being the most trustworthy.

The OS

The Telegraph

VillaReport on Twitter

Matt Kendrick

Facebook

Other people on Twitter

Daily Mail

Next door's cat

The Star

Total Guesswork

Birmingham Live

Reading the Tea Leaves

Sky Sports News

Birmingham Mail

James Nursery

#stevoitk keeping his cards close to his chest.

For now.

• Haha 1