New Manager Speculation

maqroll

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Dean Smith 100% no for me. Remember Lambert, the up and coming manager, the one most of us wanted, we destroyed his soul down here at VP, Dean Smith will go the same way.The pressure here is immense, an is why we need a big name manager. Its difficult for us because even though we aren't the Chelsea's or Man United's of the game, we are a huge club. or if you don't agree with that anymore, a huge business, unlike many others in the Championship, Brentford for instance.

So yeah let's turn our nose up at any up and coming manager because we had a bad experience with one manager in lambert.

Lambert fell out with his back room team lets not forget.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Godders said:

He also doesn't set or control their transfer activity. Again, he has a role to play, but stats and data analysts play a massive role in who they decide to look at and how those players will fit into the club's philosophy, and transfers are done by committee.

You mean  'Moneyball' approach?? If only we'd tried that! Oh wait! :)

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

When lambert was appointed we were in the Premier League and he was expected to cope with a clueless owner, a struggling team, a totally inexperienced CEO, and no DOF. It was a lonely and destructive situation to bring any manager into.

We are now a mid table Championship club, with a storied history but absolutely no idea where we're going. All  the likes of Smith or Wilder would have to do is to come in and do what they're already doing. That would be one hell of a step in the right direction in my opinion.

Two questions, what exactly is a big name manager these days, and why is one essential?

To add to that if either one brought exciting football and were successful with it the fans woukd support them.

Bruce desire his flops had the fans for a majority of his time here. Cabbage gate was the first bit of  real unrest

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So yeah let's turn our nose up at any up and coming manager because we had a bad experience with one manager in lambert.

Lambert fell out with his back room team lets not forget.

See above, he is not the architect! I'm being fair to him, he is not ready to manage a big club like ours. Goodness he was Walsall's first team coach just 3 years ago, an you think now he has had a few average seasons with Brentford he is ready for AVFC???

Would he even be considered by us if we were in the Premierhship?

Also not getting the rush to disarm DS of any credit for Brentford's success. There is a clear system in place there, across the club, but we're also going for a technical director and probably a few others in order that when we next swap manager, the club doesn't go down the toilet. The days of managers having so much control are numbered, especially in a club with very rich owners who as business people desire predictability and stability. As others have said, DS comes in and is told  to  make a good footballing side out of our squad - that was his role at Brentford - he is on the touchline, he chooses the team, he decides tactics, not some shadowy 'team' above him. It's poppycock cautiousness, IMHO. 

• Like 4

I don't know why but I don't think Smith will work. So many managers become flavour of the month and the reality is far from the initial excitement. 

The whole situation reminds me of Lambert. If he comes I will back him to the hilt, but I don't think it will work. We need a manager who will instantly gain respect and give the whole place a lift, it that Smith?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

See above, he is not the architect! I'm being fair to him, he is not ready to manage a big club like ours. Goodness he was Walsall's first team coach just 3 years ago, an you think now he has had a few average seasons with Brentford he is ready for AVFC???

But one point- we are not in the premiership. Big difference. We won't attract the high level management you seem to be anticipating. 

We have been a failing club for the last 5 years. My concern with Smith is he can control the egos in the dressing room. I think terry could but  smith I have my doubts 

• Like 2

In the past i have posted my opinion of DS and it hasn't been complimentary.

The only way I could 100% feel comfortable behind his appointment is IF he and Purslow have a real footballing discussion on how he works best and what he needs to help him fulfil that. 

We spend so much money on players but very little on infrastructure.

DS knows the process Brentford if he can somehow try to replicate that structure I will back him.

However I am not convinced that the board care about setting up an intelligent football structure at this club.

I think they want to go up the Wolves way this season and have not thought about us not being promoted next season and struggling.

Thats just my opinion and I don't expect anyone to share the same view as mine.

• Like 1

I'm seeing parallels to Southgate for England - the least sexy appointment, but possibly the most necessary. We'll have to see, but there is serious potential here, and far more evidence for success than the likes of Henry, as much as I love his French face.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

When lambert was appointed we were in the Premier League and he was expected to cope with a clueless owner, a struggling team, a totally inexperienced CEO, and no DOF. It was a lonely and destructive situation to bring any manager into.

We are now a mid table Championship club, with a storied history but absolutely no idea where we're going. All  the likes of Smith or Wilder would have to do is to come in and do what they're already doing. That would be one hell of a step in the right direction in my opinion.

Two questions, what exactly is a big name manager these days, and why is one essential?

If this was really the case, we may as well go get Lambert again give him a second chance now we are getting a structure together.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Exactly. Randy Lerner failed Lambert and utterly undermined then wrecked him and also our great club.

12 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Also not getting the rush to disarm DS of any credit for Brentford's success. There is a clear system in place there, across the club, but we're also going for a technical director and probably a few others in order that when we next swap manager, the club doesn't go down the toilet. The days of managers having so much control are numbered, especially in a club with very rich owners who as business people desire predictability and stability. As others have said, DS comes in and is told  to  make a good footballing side out of our squad - that was his role at Brentford - he is on the touchline, he chooses the team, he decides tactics, not some shadowy 'team' above him. It's poppycock cautiousness, IMHO. 

Brentford have two DOFS a technical director and two assistant managers. 

Brentford have influences from a football perspective

We have a Spaniard Sporting director that looks for deals..

For me at the moment our set up looks short term.

DS would need to have a word with Purslow and tell him how the set up should be.

Edited by Reivax_Villa

5 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

DS knows the process Brentford if he can somehow try to replicate that structure I will back him.

I agree. I suspect he'll be NDA'd to the hilt though, as I expect any new manager leaving a club would be. 

I think I hope villa hire dean smith just so I can maybe get his current job.  I hear he gets paid very well to do practically nothing.  ?

makes you wonder if that whole Brentford system is stupid paying people to do nothing like that.  

Truthfull, I don’t know how to tell who I want without hearing their plans to address where we are until January and then beyond... (which will only happen after they are hired, if ever). Then I want to see the first signs of early changes to see if they have a way to accomplish those plans.  Also, not till after they are here.  So, unless the board is willing to let me listen in on interviews, I don’t really care much who we appoint.  Pep would fail with the wrong plan or a good plan executed poorly.  Almost anyone COULD succeed.   

I hope we name our man soon.  

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

What was JG’s experience when the club decided to give him the job? We were a top 5 team and the club massively backed him financially. 

Yet you all seem to love him. 

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If this was really the case, we may as well go get Lambert again give him a second chance now we are getting a structure together.

To answer your question why we need a big name manager. It's because these days we have players with big ego's that are best managed by experienced managers or players who have been there done that. Not someone like DS who was managing Walsall 3 years ago.

Faria would have been ideal, he is the typical "do you know who I am" manager!

11 minutes ago, avfcwills10 said:

I don't know why but I don't think Smith will work. So many managers become flavour of the month and the reality is far from the initial excitement. 

The whole situation reminds me of Lambert. If he comes I will back him to the hilt, but I don't think it will work. We need a manager who will instantly gain respect and give the whole place a lift, it that Smith?

I'll tell ya what gains respect. Highly skilled coaching. Innovative training. Player development. The whole place a lift as in the big character coming through the door with a presence and aura about him. Grand. Try that. The effect won't last pissing time. Players see through buffers. We need what i listed above.  And Smith brings that imho

• Like 2

I see the attraction in smith but I’m wary of any suggestion that he would have to take JT as part of a management team ,  would it work or would he be better off choosing his own staff ? 

That said the media seem to have a new favourite each day and we don’t know what is really going on behind the scenes ,  maybe it will be someone not currently on the radar .

• Thanks 1

Just now, Reivax_Villa said:

Brentford have two DOFS a technical director and two assistant coaches. 

Brentford have influences from a football perspective

We have a Spaniard Sporting director that looks for deals..

For me at the moment our set up looks short term.

DS would need to have a word with Purslow and tell him how the set up should be.

Yep - but in most cases that would be too many cooks - maybe Brentford have had their best years and do not realise it. DS can appoint 2 assistant coaches if he wants, that's not odd, he will have a Spanish overlord presenting him with cheap foreign talent, he can work with that - he may even have John Terry on his side. It won't be the same but Brentford will miss him, because as much as folks want to belittle his role there, he was in charge of the team and that is the figure head role of the entire footballing side - it's worthy. 

• Like 1