Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

11 hours ago, Mazrim said:

RHM will emerge this year as a player I reckon but we'll definitely loan a striker too. I still think Hogan, if used right in a front two and not on his own with the ball lumped up to him will be useful. Kodjia needs to get his shit together. Unplayable when he wants to be. Knock the sulking and the greediness out and get fit and he could be lethal again. We'll have more drive from midfield with Grealish and McGinn and  the odd Doyle Hayes cameo. When O'Hare is fit again he'll be great.

Left back, we'll probably still be after but DeLaet and Hutton can play there as well as Taylor even though he's not great. Centre half is weaker. Chester and Tuanzebe obvious starters but Elphick is poor and Jedinak is no centre half long term. One of the youngsters will have to step up but we may get another one on loan. Right back is fine obviously as we have 36 players who can play there. We're light on wide players. I'm very keen to see Green play as a starter. Adomah, Elmo and Thor cover this area as well but another quick loan player would ace.

100% Nylan, Moreira and Steer means we're good for keepers. Nylan looks better than Johnstone from what I've seen.

A few more loans and we're looking strong.

Hogan on his own with Grealish linking from midfield would work too, the trick is not to use Hogan like a big target man, or a player to hold it up with his back to goal. They knew that when they signed him so making him do it is daft. When we had our anomolous spell of decent footy he scored a few games on the bounce. no coincidence.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Hogan on his own with Grealish linking from midfield would work too, the trick is not to use Hogan like a big target man, or a player to hold it up with his back to goal. They knew that when they signed him so making him do it is daft. 

You know that. I know that. 

Steve Bruce doesn't seem to. 

• Like 1

For me if we are going to sign 3 players we need a left back, a right winger and a striker.

Left Back - No idea but I'm sure there are a few around, Bruce hopefully has his eye on one currently for a loan deal.

Right Wing - For me Snodgrass coming back would be immense for us, he's the type of player we need and was by far the best loan signing last season. If Wet Spam don't let us have him I would see if Albrighton could be tempted into a loan deal back to Villa.

Striker - I think Bruce is playing the waiting game on Abraham which I don't think will pay off, I imagine he is going to be tempted into a season trying to break into the first team. It also looks as though Success is not coming with Watford not signing a striker, can't say I'm dissapointed with this as he hardly has a goalscoring prowess. I think we need a target man up top; we all know that we need to be knocking the ball around on the deck with Grealish feeding a striker through balls or our wingers cutting inside, but Bruce just isn't going to get us playing that type of football. If he did we all ready have Hogan in place who would be perfect. If we can get a target man in, someone in the ilk of Benteke (not Benteke, just let it go guys) from his time at Villa, can bring a ball down, good with his feet and strong in the air, then we are all set. Unfortunately that's the type of striker that teams won't be letting go.

All in all its been a decent transfer window, and going from losing Chester & Grealish with no incomings, to signing 4 players and keeping our squad together is immense.

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Those talking about Hogan with Grealish just behind him seem to be forgetting that Hogan isn’t very good.

As others have said. Just lumping balls forward is not playing to his strength. Play diagonal balls behind the defenders for him to run on to, and you are looking at a different player. That would though, require Bruce to show some tactical coaching nous, so I’m not holding my breath.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, meregreen said:

As others have said. Just lumping balls forward is not playing to his strength. Play diagonal balls behind the defenders for him to run on to, and you are looking at a different player. That would though, require Bruce to show some tactical coaching nous, so I’m not holding my breath.

I’m not buying that. He is slow, weak and his touch is poor. It’s a convenient excuse to say we lump balls up to him. I remember on more than one occasion he was running clear through on goal and some how let’s defender catch him up. He has no acceleration.

He had a half decent spell at Brentford and got a lucky move. Yes he will score the odd goal but overall he is just not that good. 

We need a new striker.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

So the loan window slams shut at the end of the month. There will be a few players at Everton, Chelsea and West Ham to name but three that will not get much of a look in this season and we need to get in there as soon as we can to beat other clubs to the punch. I think we need a left back, a central defender (JT might save us a loan), a forward and Snodders.     

6 minutes ago, meregreen said:

As others have said. Just lumping balls forward is not playing to his strength. Play diagonal balls behind the defenders for him to run on to, and you are looking at a different player. 

Agreed :thumb:. I still think that if we play the sort of balls to him that he got on the end of at Brentford he can get goals for us this season.     

• Like 1

Nice comment about Levy from a friend of mine: 

"An old friend and a fellow Villan who shall remain nameless here was at the same Cambridge college as Levy and has always said that he's far from being the sharpest knife in the drawer... Extraordinary how dull accountants can get so far".  

So based on a quick scan of how the PL clubs have been left this morning it seems like the following maybe possible targets for loan deals to help address our concerns at LB, RW, Striker. 

Patrick Roberts

Charley Musonda, Hudson-Odoi, Tammy Abraham

Lazar Markovic, Sheyi Ojo, Dom Solanke, 

Maitland Niles

Bolasie, Lookman

Albrighton, 

Snodgrass, 

Matt Targett, Charlie Austin?

Nahki Wells, Sam Vokes, 

Ruben Vinagre, Helder Costa? Cavaleiro?

Other than that will be looking abroad I guess. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Bruce confirmed what we all expect, that we’re still very active in the loan market with a few things on the go. Good news. 

The squad is looking strong again. 

The video cut off abruptly for me when Bruce was talking about Snodgrass. Sounded like, while being respectful of his efforts to get into the WHU team, he was still interested. Getting him back would be a huge morale boost to the squad. 

Â