The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

All the decisions correct that I saw in our game (don’t know what the Mane red was mentioned above so no comment), but I didn’t celebrate our first because of VAR so yeh, get in the sea.

Personally I wouldn’t like to see Firminho’s goal given offside but with the rule as it is and how it’s been implemented all season, that was the correct and consistent decision.

Mane pulled a midfielder back which is an automatic yellow. Ref bottled it and played on. Was about 70 minutes in

The annoying thing was at the ground we had absolutely no idea why it was being checked. Al so why did it take so long, they hadn’t started checking when we were celebrating. 

MOTD still didn’t show it, so I still have no idea whether It was off or not 

What if Trez was offside though? Should it not be checking? If Liverpool scored from an offside goal that wasn't checked we'd be fuming.

If we get rid of VAR, can't really see how we can moan about individual calls from officials. They're only human after all.

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

What if Trez was offside though? Should it not be checking? If Liverpool scored from an offside goal that wasn't checked we'd be fuming.

If we get rid of VAR, can't really see how we can moan about individual calls from officials. They're only human after all.

I don't think anyone really moans about linesmen getting an offside call wrong if there's a gnat's pube in it. It's the clear daylight ones people moan about. That could be checked, very quickly, by somebody watching from a decent angle, once, in slow motion. If there's an obvious mistake then overrule the linesman. If it comes to the point you have to start drawing lines and it takes three minutes just go with the on field decision. Three minutes again yesterday for the goal to be given. I celebrated Trez's goal a bit, but it was half arsed because you just don't know if it's a goal. It's shit. And I'll be singing **** VAR even if and when an opposition goal is finally ruled out by VAR. I think that's important that we get the message across that we hate the system, not just hate it when it goes against us. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, blunther said:

I don't think anyone really moans about linesmen getting an offside call wrong if there's a gnat's pube in it. It's the clear daylight ones people moan about. That could be checked, very quickly, by somebody watching from a decent angle, once, in slow motion. If there's an obvious mistake then overrule the linesman. If it comes to the point you have to start drawing lines and it takes three minutes just go with the on field decision. Three minutes again yesterday for the goal to be given. I celebrated Trez's goal a bit, but it was half arsed because you just don't know if it's a goal. It's shit. And I'll be singing **** VAR even if and when an opposition goal is finally ruled out by VAR. I think that's important that we get the message across that we hate the system, not just hate it when it goes against us. 

Pretty much, Trezeguet was clearly onside, the footage didn't need to be turned into a **** CAD model in order to figure that one out.

• Like 1

I really don't get the clear and obvious thing. 

If the replays show something did or did not happen when the ref called something else, then it's clear and obvious because it was on the replay. 

You can't say e.g the video shows he clipped someone's leg in the box but because the ref didn't give it he didn't clip him hard enough. 

Need to change to The Catchphrase rule instead.  Say what you see. 

3 minute plus check in the Everton vs Tottenham match for a subjective handball decision not to be overturned. This is where the clear and obvious catchphrase does apply, but there should be a time limit. If you can’t make a call within 30 seconds then just stick with the on field decision.

Followed by another incident. Seems to be a horrific injury, though they’re not showing replays, Son got a red card for what is a yellow all day but never more, and unfortunately Gomes has fell into Aurier and broken his leg it seems. But VAR didn’t even look at it, because there was a nasty injury? That’s an accident it shouldn’t affect the decision.

Edited by fightoffyour

Pretty sure ref showed Son a yellow initially, so assume VAR said change to red.

Its the type of tackle i think should be red - no intention of playing the ball, and a dangerous lunge that can lead to incidents like has just happened. 

But they never are given as red, so are they just making it up as they go along again?

• Like 1

VAR in the Premier League is ridiculous. How on Earth anyone has deemed Son’s challenge to be a red card (potentially overturned by the VAR?!) is baffling. It’s ruining things and it really shouldn’t. 

1 hour ago, andym said:

Pretty sure ref showed Son a yellow initially, so assume VAR said change to red.

Its the type of tackle i think should be red - no intention of playing the ball, and a dangerous lunge that can lead to incidents like has just happened. 

But they never are given as red, so are they just making it up as they go along again?

Have to agree, it's a pathetic, cynical challenge, absolutely no intent to play the ball and done because Gomes had the drop on him and Son was both frustrated and didn't want him to get away. With other players, like Aurier in close proximity, the tackle becomes even more dangerous with the risk of a collision. Red was justified for dangerous play.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Have to agree, it's a pathetic, cynical challenge, absolutely no intent to play the ball and done because Gomes had the drop on him and Son was both frustrated and didn't want him to get away. With other players, like Aurier in close proximity, the tackle becomes even more dangerous with the risk of a collision. Red was justified for dangerous play.

I agree and have made the case for cynical challenged like this, often occurring near the half-way line and stopping a break, to be worthy of a red card. However, that is not the rule currently. I see the Premier League statement says:

"The red card for Son was for endangering the safety of a player, which happened as a consequence of his initial challenge."

I'm not buying that, this is just protection of the ref and VAR. The injury happened because the player's foot got caught on the pitch in an unfortunate position, which could happen as a result of any physical contact, or even just running. Are we going to deem those things illegal too?

11 hours ago, blunther said:

I agree, if it doesn't pass the eye test then no need to bring out the rulers. If you're going to be absolutely precise (which the little lines actually aren't), I like the suggestion from someone in here of using the GPS tracker to determine if someone is behind the last defender or not. I guess that doesn't take into account an arm or a knee being offside but surely there are better ways that what we have right now.

But my overall point is that if there's a VAR check, no matter how brief (checking slow motion replays still take time) still happen after all the celebrating is done and so if the argument is that "I can't celebrate a goal because I don't know if it's going to be chalked off by VAR", then we might as well scrap VAR altogether because that's the whole point of VAR. If it sees something the referee or linesman missed, it will call it. If that's ruining the game for us, then we can't really feel too aggrieved when a ref misses a call in the heat of the moment.

• Like 1

Â