The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

Whole system needs a re-think

My wife likes tennis, and I think they should look at having a similar ' challenge ' system.

Ref referees the game as normal.  Manager / Captain has 2 or 3 challenges available per game. If they think a decision is wrong they use up a challenge to get it looked at again.

Referee / 4th offical review the screen at pitch side. Ref & 4th official are mic'd up so we can hear the discussion and footage they are reviewing is shown on big screen in stadium.

Ref either stands by original decision or overturns it. Game continues with one less challenge left. 

disagree with the challenge system, football moves too quickly for it in too many instances, sports with challenges, tennis, cricket, NFL all have natural pauses that say a handball in the area that plays on doesn't have

the mic'd up thing is an absolute must though, that's what made TMO so good in the rugby WC, the thing with it being that you also get a bit of respect for the ref for being clued up too when they explain themselves meaning that some of the decisions that don't go to TMO I found myself not criticising as much, one of footballs problems is the expectation that a ref will be inept or biased so when he gives a throw in the wrong way (which I think happens every game) you are on him straight away, I think hearing them a few times a game explain themselves to sow a "he does know what he's doing" seed in your head would be helpful

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, CosmicVillan said:

My wife likes tennis, and I think they should look at having a similar ' challenge ' system.

Ref referees the game as normal.  Manager / Captain has 2 or 3 challenges available per game. If they think a decision is wrong they use up a challenge to get it looked at again.

Referee / 4th offical review the screen at pitch side. Ref & 4th official are mic'd up so we can hear the discussion and footage they are reviewing is shown on big screen in stadium.

Ref either stands by original decision or overturns it. Game continues with one less challenge left. 

It's a possibility but right now the ref also gives 2/3 VAR calls per team on average so it won't change the time taking factor.

Also, the ref still makes a decision so it won't improve the quality.

10 hours ago, CosmicVillan said:

challenges wont work in footy cause managers will challenge everything they can in stoppage time if they're 1-0 up. it works in tennis as matches don't have a time limit. similar in NFL the clock stops in breaks in play.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomav84 said:

challenges wont work in footy cause managers will challenge everything they can in stoppage time if they're 1-0 up. it works in tennis as matches don't have a time limit. similar in NFL the clock stops in breaks in play.

This is it. The powers that be have to also consider that teams will try and get an advantage from everything and a challenge system would certainly become a tactical option.

• Like 1

Oh wow. They should introduce a new law or something that if there's no daylight between the two lines they draw, just go with the ref/linesman's decision. It's getting ridiculous. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Sheff Utd goal disallowed. Millimeters offside after what felt like 5 minutes wait. This is a joke.

Another armpit offside.  Gobby Cabbage actually made a decent point that you can't really score a goal with your armpit without the ball touching your arm so shouldnt count as offside.  I'd rather that you are onside as long as any part of your body is in line, surely it's better to have the advantage go towards scoring goals than disallowing them.

On 07/11/2019 at 13:50, Genie said:

This is it. The powers that be have to also consider that teams will try and get an advantage from everything and a challenge system would certainly become a tactical option.

If you only give teams one per match then it would be pretty risky to waste it on wasting time or other skulduggery.  You could also stop the clock for reviews.

51 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

This thing is awful. Fans need to start putting on pressure for it to be removed from the game. 

It's the current crop of referees that needs replacing, not the technology. As a technology, VAR has the potential to be very good, and it's not VAR's fault that we happen to have morons and troglodytes running (or deliberately sabotaging) it. They were the reason why it was needed in the first place.

Edited by His Name Is Death

10 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

It's the current crop of referees that needs replacing, not the technology. As a technology, VAR has the potential to be very good, and it's not VAR's fault that we happen to have morons and troglodytes running (or deliberately sabotaging) it. They were the reason why it was needed in the first place.

Replace the refs with who?

better refs....

maybe at the start of this thread not sure, my idea would be to increase the number of refs, increase the amount they are paid, definitely increase the support around them and try and make the whole thing more professional, move them all to St George's Park, make it a full time job, Monday morning 1st thing review sessions from the weekend with them all sat in the same room, that should increase consistency, then lunch from proper dieticians and nutritionists, afternoon fitness training sessions with proper coaches, give them a gym, give them sports scientists and masseuses, its takes a team of how many qualified people to put man city and liverpools 22 players tomorrow? how many do that for the ref? don't just shrug shoulders and say the players are athletes, make the refs athletes too! if they have games they obviously dip out but its basically a well paid week long full time job of reviewing footage of decisions and fitness training

instead we get middle aged men sometimes working part time who meet up once a month and are responsible for their own fitness and are paid based on appearances meaning that injuries and poor performances directly impact their pay meaning both are covered up

someone might know this but I've never seen it talked about, who scouts the lower leagues / non professional leagues for refs?

• Like 1

Â