The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

The 3rd Arsenal goal was overkill (what happened to clear and obvious? 🤔) by VAR but it handled the rest of the game pretty great. 

Ironically the ref gave Zaha a yellow for diving in the box which was overturned by VAR and a penalty correctly given. We could've done with that against Palace.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The 3rd Arsenal goal was overkill (what happened to clear and obvious? 🤔) by VAR but it handled the rest of the game pretty great. 

Ironically the ref gave Zaha a yellow for diving in the box which was overturned by VAR and a penalty correctly given. We could've done with that against Palace.

So now it can check for diving? Whereas before they said it couldn't with Grealish? Or is it just when it's a penalty decision? The whole thing is dumb. 

27 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

So now it can check for diving? Whereas before they said it couldn't with Grealish? Or is it just when it's a penalty decision? The whole thing is dumb. 

No it was checking for a penalty. They couldn't with Jack because the stupid referee blew his whistle instead of letting the phase of play continue before booking him.

• Like 1

the worst thing about the arsenal 3rd goal is after 5 times of watching it I still cant see what they think chambers has done

if you were in the crowd it would be utterly baffling, saw a response from an arsenal fan on twitter which I liked, the fans inside the stadium are purely there to make it a better experience for the paying customers sat watching it on TV, you're part of their show, nothing else

I think it’s pretty obvious that a few weeks ago the FA amended the ‘protocol’ and lowered this ‘high bar’. The referees on the pitch and in the studio now seem unsure what to do and we now have games going back to August that we’re officiated differently.

Edited by a m ole

25 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I think it’s pretty obvious that a few weeks ago the FA amended the ‘protocol’ and lowered this ‘high bar’. The referees on the pitch and in the studio now seem unsure what to do and we now have games going back to August that we’re officiated differently.

Premier League might as well put an asterisk next to this season as it has zero credibility 

On 14/09/2019 at 12:26, sne said:

Will be very interesting to see how VAR is used this weekend after it having been a bit of a mess in recent weeks.

They've had their "emergency" meeting, they've admitted that's it's not worked as it should and now we will see where they take it.

Wouldn't be surprised to see in implemented much more again and a return to how it was during round 1

So turns out this wasn't that far off and is pretty much what has happened.

Sky is blue, water is wet and the FA & refs are utterly predictable.

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

Smith said he'd missed the memo saying just that. it's clear the process has been amended. it's as if they've said to the refs "look, people are complaining that we don't overturn enough decisions, so make sure you overturn a couple today"

i am baffled by both the daniel james pen and the arsenal winner. they are incorrect, not question about it. the worrying thing is that pundits and fans with no refereeing qualifications can see this clear as day but referees in the best league in the world cannot

19 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

A starting point for you:

not all of those should be included to be fair - VAR errors in bold with one added too at bottom:

❌ Penalty against McGinn vs Spurs - subjective, not clear and obvious - on field decision should remain
❌ Billing vs Bournemouth - not applicable as yellow cards not in scope
❌ Lansbury goal vs Palace - not applicable as ref blew whistle (word removed)
❌ Auba freekick - goal should not have stood due to Arsenal players in wall
❌ Socretes handball vs afc - clear and obvious error - pen should have been given
❌ Hourihane foul for Brighton goal - not applicable as non penalty fouls not in scope
❌ Hourihane goal vs Brighton - not clear and obvious foul, goal should have stood
❌ KDB goal vs mcfc - offside from both initial cross and when silva touched ball - goal should not have stood

Pepe pen vs arsenal as arsenal players in box

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

❌ Penalty against McGinn vs Spurs - subjective, not clear and obvious - on field decision should remain

As this one was checked by VAR you mean that as it wasn't an obvious error but still an error (I'm on the fence on this one, btw) it should be as the ref said? Even if it was wrong? Sincere question. Which if I get you right begs the question about all those very close offside calls.

So that's 8 VAR decisions against us (many of them blatantly wrong) and 0 VAR decisions for us.

Heaton said he's a firm believer it will even itself out over the course of a season. I think he's wrong, i don't think it will.

Edited by villalad21

On 26/10/2019 at 15:29, LakotaDakota said:

Sterling onside when de bruyne struck the ball. De bruyne given the goal so nobody else touched it = goal is fine

e8mN4OP.jpg

You know that this picture actually shows that he is offside, don't you? His head is over the line and that's enough. There's been calls for offside for less, like a kneecap being millimetres over the line. And yes, players have been caught with only their heads offside before too. And then, Silva touched it making it even clearer.

I've always wondered about the Silva pointing to his foot-thing. Why did he do that to the ref? The ref doesn't devide who scored in the history books. If I believed in fair play among players these daysI'd almost believe that he tried to tell the ref that it was offside as he touched it. Obviously not, but I can't see the point in him pointing at his foot.

Was it in the german league that a player warming up tapped the ball back in play before it went over the line which gave the attacking team a penalty? The thing was that the ball were on its' way over the line, there were no players heading for it to stop it and the player was a bit too quick to kick it back to the keeper for a goal kick. There's no doubt that it would go to a goal kick. VAR made it a penalty. A penalty. Ok, it's not VAR's fault that the rules says it should be a penalty, but still. Where's the game going?  Where are the proportions? A split second too quick, yep, that's a penalty.

20 minutes ago, Pelle said:

You know that this picture actually shows that he is offside, don't you? His head is over the line and that's enough. There's been calls for offside for less, like a kneecap being millimetres over the line. And yes, players have been caught with only their heads offside before too. And then, Silva touched it making it even clearer.

the blue line is mings shoulder or maybe I think McGinn behind him, the red line is sterling

I still think the interfering with play rule is the biggest problem, you never see them given

• Like 1

Â