The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

I celebrated to goal for a few seconds, but then I realised that it would go for a VAR check. Totally took away the good feeling and instead I got nervous. In the end they got it right, but you could see the players stop the celebrations standing togehter to wait for the decision to be made. And it was quite clear that he wasn't offside. Shouldn't take that long. It's a farce and is killing much of the joy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pelle said:

I celebrated to goal for a few seconds, but then I realised that it would go for a VAR check. Totally took away the good feeling and instead I got nervous. In the end they got it right, but you could see the players stop the celebrations standing togehter to wait for the decision to be made. And it was quite clear that he wasn't offside. Shouldn't take that long. It's a farce and is killing much of the joy.

Well I was saying this before the season started and people dismissed it .

Exactly how i predicted it would go.

VAR sucks and is killing me love for the game.

6 hours ago, Pelle said:

why did you not continue celebrating out of interest? what's the worst that could have happened? does looking a bit silly for celebrating a goal that's disallowed bother you that much?

i hate how VAR has been implemented like everyone else...you cannot defend it...but i wont let it stop me going nuts when we score

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

why did you not continue celebrating out of interest? what's the worst that could have happened? does looking a bit silly for celebrating a goal that's disallowed bother you that much?

i hate how VAR has been implemented like everyone else...you cannot defend it...but i wont let it stop me going nuts when we score

It just doesn't feel natural celebrating so long after the goal. I was the same I couldn't even celebrate the goal as I knew was a chance it would be chalked off

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It just doesn't feel natural celebrating so long after the goal. I was the same I couldn't even celebrate the goal as I knew was a chance it would be chalked off

i get it if a goal is initially chalked off, and then to be given, it would feel weird. but those are very rare. personally i just celebrate...**** VAR, i'm going to enjoy the moment

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

On the Firmino goal, isnt the linesman only supposed put his flag up after the play stops. Its a bit like the Lansbury

VAR is shit but refs are as bad

The refs are VAR so shit refs will be shit VAR

And yes, the linesman is not supposed to put his flag up.

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

On the Firmino goal, isnt the linesman only supposed put his flag up after the play stops. Its a bit like the Lansbury

VAR is shit but refs are as bad

Refs = poor use of VAR

Can we please stop having a go at technology that is clearly good for the game and should be implemented to fix bad decisions and major mistakes?

It's the refs that are bad, taking 5 minutes to make a decision, drawing stupid lines where everybody saw that was or was not an offside.

Let's use the bundesliga as an example of how it should work, but for that we need the PL and the FA to stop pleasuring themselves for how good their standard is. 

It is not good - go back to the meeting room, get some coffees in and don't come out until you fix it. It's their fault, not the technology.

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

Is there not an emergency meeting or anything yet to discuss VAR? Can't be far off. I imagine the Premier League chiefs can't be happy with it ruining their "product".

is it though?

they stopped caring about the fans in the ground a long long time ago so them being a bit reserved during celebrations wont be a major concern, social media traits, news coverage blah blah blah I wonder how much that firmino offside got? I would guess a lot, job done then and I had to follow a chunk of the game on twitter, 78th minute people are still retweeting the picture of his armpit, it was really weird, almost made me think it was bots, it was a talking point during the game for a long time after it happened, never seen it like that before

it does seem strange that the main impact of VAR seems to be chalking goals off, that's something id be surprised if they didn't want to change

Edited by villa4europe

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

is it though?

I think they want talk to be about players / goals / saves / action / managers.

Talking points after every game day are VAR decisions. I don't think that's good for the PL brand from their perspective or of the football fans. Its not like a music group where all news is good news.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Talking points after every game day are VAR decisions.

It should be the port of very infrequent call,  its used far to much. 

There should be games where it is not used at all IMO.

There are I suspect a large amount of people who like it in an X factor kind of way also though.

7 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

There are I suspect a large amount of people who like it in an X factor kind of way also though.

I guess it fills slots for discussion on places like Talk Sport, but I think even they are bored of it and could easily talk about something else.

Even the horror broken leg yesterday gets spun as a VAR error for agreeing with the red card decision.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think they want talk to be about players / goals / saves / action / managers.

Talking points after every game day are VAR decisions. I don't think that's good for the PL brand from their perspective or of the football fans. Its not like a music group where all news is good news.

they want the talk to be about the premier league

"the premier league are royally **** up VAR, they're getting something wrong in every game, its crazy to watch"

What gets me about the still image they show to decipher if a player is offside, you never see the player playing the pass or cross. 

How do we know that the image displayed with the calibration lines is actually the exact moment the ball was played? And not a split second difference to get the desired outcome?

• Like 1

Â