The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

As much as VAR needs to be revamped, so do the rules. Offside and handball need a huge overhaul.

The Schalke one last night was farcical, defender had no time to move his hand and a penalty was given via VAR

44 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

What gets me about the still image they show to decipher if a player is offside, you never see the player playing the pass or cross. 

How do we know that the image displayed with the calibration lines is actually the exact moment the ball was played? And not a split second difference to get the desired outcome?

This is true, and the player passing has the ball on his foot for several frames. Depending on which one it is frozen on will show onside or offside

You could just give the linesman a screen to look at and double check his call. Have him carry a tablet or something and if it's a particularly contentious call (or even after every goal) have him review it like VAR would but without the ridiculous lines. 

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

I am surprised it has been mentioned as much but it wouldnt be a shock if the Premier League are manipulating results

I doubt that's actually happening.  If you take us for example, we probably have had the worst luck with VAR out of anyone but why on earth would the PL want us to get relegated when we add a club with a big fan base that sells out every game, Sky wanted to show several of our early matches in the season, we have wealthy owners that will spend lots of money in the transfer windows etc.  

7 hours ago, villan-scott said:

What gets me about the still image they show to decipher if a player is offside, you never see the player playing the pass or cross. 

How do we know that the image displayed with the calibration lines is actually the exact moment the ball was played? And not a split second difference to get the desired outcome?

We don't...one of the many grey areas of this whole thing. Within the next 10 years I'm sure technology will exist to detect offside with the accuracy and speed of goal line technology. Until then, get rid

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

We don't...one of the many grey areas of this whole thing. Within the next 10 years I'm sure technology will exist to detect offside with the accuracy and speed of goal line technology. Until then, get rid

I'm sure it can do so now. It can't be more complicated than a simple tracking device. The players already wear one anyway.

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I'm sure it can do so now. It can't be more complicated than a simple tracking device. The players already wear one anyway.

But where on the body do you put it?

Since it's different parts of the body for defenders vs attacking players just having one on the chest doesn't really help.

And then on set pieces the attacker might be defending and the defender attacking, so it's the other way round.

Same with the hand ball thing.

Wonder how much the tickets and tv-subscriptions will cost when everyone has to wear one of these suits.

Bildresultat för motion capture suit football

37 minutes ago, sne said:

But where on the body do you put it?

Since it's different parts of the body for defenders vs attacking players just having one on the chest doesn't really help.

And then on set pieces the attacker might be defending and the defender attacking, so it's the other way round.

Same with the hand ball thing.

Wonder how much the tickets and tv-subscriptions will cost when everyone has to wear one of these suits.

Bildresultat för motion capture suit football

that's my point. in 10 years a hawkeye-style technology will exist complete with ability to detect the exact moment the ball is struck. but we're a long way off that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Son's red card has been rescinded. Another great call by VAR.

but martin atkinson and the VAR that was present that day (not sure who that was) will be at a game this saturday, ruining someone elses day. no accountability, despite being conclusively proven to have made an error

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Didnt Martin Atkinson do VAR in one of our games, maybe was the Brighton game. He is shocking

Isn't he the Premier League senior ref as he seems get big games

i believe be was indeed the VAR for the brighton game, yes.

i actually used to really rate him. i seem to think he was ref for the 5-1 vs blues and ref'd the game well. he's getting worse every year though

10 hours ago, tomav84 said:

but martin atkinson and the VAR that was present that day (not sure who that was) will be at a game this saturday, ruining someone elses day. no accountability, despite being conclusively proven to have made an error

I used to think this, then we spent a few years watching refs in the Championship.

The Premier League refs are a joke. But somehow, they're the best we have. 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I used to think this, then we spent a few years watching refs in the Championship.

The Premier League refs are a joke. But somehow, they're the best we have. 

I don't see much different to be honest apart from being quicker to give out yellow cards (which helps players like Jack who used to get clattered unopposed)...but this is out of VAR's scope anyway.

Â