The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

I know that rule, but if the last point of the offence is when a player is offside, I'm questioning why that is considered the last point. Surely it can't be an offence once the player is offside. I'm not questioning your explanation by the way, just proclaiming how ridiculous the rule seems.

The grey area for me is whether a foul can happen whilst the ball isn’t in play. They’ve decided that it can.

Therefore, he is being fouled before the ball is kicked (foul occurs first) and the foul ends up being in the box so it’s a penalty.

It’s a nonsense IMO, but that does make some sort of sense and also highlights why these incidents never really happen. 

On 18/02/2024 at 13:30, StefanAVFC said:

Why not send him to the screen, and say ‘hey mate I don’t think you’ve made an error here but your view wasn’t the best so I think it’s worth taking another look’

This this this this

This is the only way VAR will ever work. As I said earlier it needs to be seen as a collaborative effort between officials. They're a team.

While it's being viewed as correcting officials or getting stuff wrong or errors etc it'll never work because there will always be a reluctance to use it 

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This this this this

This is the only way VAR will ever work. As I said earlier it needs to be seen as a collaborative effort between officials. They're a team.

While it's being viewed as correcting officials or getting stuff wrong or errors etc it'll never work because there will always be a reluctance to use it 

And again I would go one better and why not give the referee themself the remit to say "I'm not sure about that, I'm going to have another look before I make a decision" so that no "error" has been made, no bias introduced, just a referee given all of the available tools to make an informed decision.

Yes, the referee could watch a replay and still make an error, but that isn't any different to what we have with VAR apart from there are more people involved.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

And again I would go one better and why not give the referee themself the remit to say "I'm not sure about that, I'm going to have another look before I make a decision" so that no "error" has been made, no bias introduced, just a referee given all of the available tools to make an informed decision.

Yes, the referee could watch a replay and still make an error, but that isn't any different to what we have with VAR apart from there are more people involved.

Exactly

"guys I've given a yellow but I want to check if that's a red"

"I don't think that's a penalty but let's have another look"

It shouldn't be the ref vs VAR. It should be a conversation

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly

"guys I've given a yellow but I want to check if that's a red"

"I don't think that's a penalty but let's have another look"

It shouldn't be the ref vs VAR. It should be a conversation

Yeah that could work either with the ref asking the VAR to take a look (and then the VAR really shouldn't need to get involved unless there's really a serious mistake that can just be overturned immediately, such as mistaken identity) or the ref having a device to quickly watch replays on without wasting time going to and from a monitor (and the same applies to VAR here too - then I would like their remit to adapt to making very quick corner/goal kick decision, etc.)

16 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The technology probably exists for refs to see decisions they've just made, almost live on a watch or enhanced glasses or the like - they could be their own VAR.

That's what I've been saying for months!

Not sure I see the point in this, other than confirming that the standard of decision making has always been poor.

Now we have the means to correct those poor decisions, we just need to work out how we can get bias/ corruption/ incompetence out of the process. 

I am all for amazing goals being scored, but if they're done so by breaking the laws of the game, then they shouldn't be goals. 

Now, if you want to change the laws of the game so that they can only be disallowed in the run up to being scored, by automating offside flags, then I'm all for it. 

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i thought he was offside for all 3?

The guy scored a hattrick of offside goals and won them the league

I just watched the video highlights and I’d agree that he’s off for all three. The most egregious offside for me is his first goal - it’s just so blatant. 

Just put the whole damned thing in Room 101 and move on with the game we used to know. I hate what football has become after the introduction of VAR. It’s never going to work like its proponents want it to, and the game has become an absurd mess of milimeters, lines on a screen and rules nobody understands anymore. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Probably worth acknowledging that VAR overturned the incorrect offside flag for Ollie’s second goal.

You can still hate VAR and want it to be burned in the bin and then thrown in the sea. That’s all fine.

But if you’re playing fair, it’s only right to note when it’s stopped a **** up.

This is true, but it's also true that since VAR has come in the linesmen have relied on VAR much much more, so without it they may not have flagged as they're more trained to judging offsides manually. Who knows.

Edited by Mantis

On 21/02/2024 at 11:09, The_Steve said:

spacer.png

he was also offside for the first goal too. 

Back then, was that actually offside?  I thought there had to be 'daylight' between the players to be offside.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2024 at 01:20, Mark Albrighton said:

Probably worth acknowledging that VAR overturned the incorrect offside flag for Ollie’s second goal.

You can still hate VAR and want it to be burned in the bin and then thrown in the sea. That’s all fine.

But if you’re playing fair, it’s only right to note when it’s stopped a **** up.

Nope. I’m firmly against it, and even when it’s right, it’s still a grotesque infringement on what I love most about football. 

On 03/03/2024 at 04:46, sharkyvilla said:

Back then, was that actually offside?  I thought there had to be 'daylight' between the players to be offside.

I don’t think that’s right. It was technically offside. 

Edited by El Zen

Â