The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

Thus far, the voting members of 6 out of 32 clubs in the top two divisions in Norway have voted to scrap VAR. 3 have voted to keep it, leaving 23 yet to vote on it at their AGMs coming up over the next couple of weeks. 

We might not get it done this year, and the FA is lobbying pretty hard to influence the vote in favour of VAR and they seem to control the smaller clubs with small fan scenes, but sooner or later we will get rid of it. 

Edited by El Zen

7 hours ago, El Zen said:

Thus far, the voting members of 6 out of 32 clubs in the top two divisions in Norway have voted to scrap VAR. 3 have voted to keep it, leaving 23 yet to vote on it at their AGMs coming up over the next couple of weeks. 

We might not get it done this year, and the FA is lobbying pretty hard to influence the vote in favour of VAR and they seem to control the smaller clubs with small fan scenes, but sooner or later we will get rid of it. 

I dont like that though personally, taking English football as the example VAR doesn't work because of PGMOL not because of the technology, if we scrap VAR we're still left with the same problem of them being shit and probably also the accusation that they never wanted VAR in the first place so purposefully operated it in a way that negatively impacted the game until it was scrapped 

That's where my opinion of PGMOL is, in the gutter 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

On 03/03/2024 at 00:20, Mark Albrighton said:

Probably worth acknowledging that VAR overturned the incorrect offside flag for Ollie’s second goal.

You can still hate VAR and want it to be burned in the bin and then thrown in the sea. That’s all fine.

But if you’re playing fair, it’s only right to note when it’s stopped a **** up.

Also the delayed flag that everyone seems to hate was the reason that goal stood. If the linesman had flagged early then the goal doesn’t get scored and there’s nothing to overturn 

• Like 1

Getting rid of it would be ridiculous but it will probably happen, its another chapter of culture wars, it needs to be improved, yes, time taken and some consistency on decisions but to scrap it is a step backwards.

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I dont like that though personally, taking English football as the example VAR doesn't work because of PGMOL not because of the technology, if we scrap VAR we're still left with the same problem of them being shit and probably also the accusation that they never wanted VAR in the first place so purposefully operated it in a way that negatively impacted the game until it was scrapped 

That's where my opinion of PGMOL is, in the gutter 

Refereeing mistakes will always happen as the rules are (intentionally) open to interpratation. Even then, I’d still rather have mistakes and keep the game I love, than no mistakes and a version of the game I don’t recognise. 

7 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Refereeing mistakes will always happen as the rules are (intentionally) open to interpratation. Even then, I’d still rather have mistakes and keep the game I love, than no mistakes and a version of the game I don’t recognise. 

Honest question; do you not feel that an exaggeration such as 'a version of the game I don't recognise' is not helping the anti-VAR sentiment?

I get the faults of the current system, I watch a lot of football. But it's a game we still recognise - it's a game we experienced for the last 3-4 years. 

It's not tragic, the end of the world, taking the spirit of the game away. 

Just ask a QPR fan if they wished there was VAR yesterday - even if it meant they waited 3 minutes for a decision. 

The problems with VAR are ALL down to referees. That is the problem, the referees. 

• Like 3

I dont disagree, from the start of this thread I was against VAR and just wanted better refs, my position on the latter hasn't changed 

I wouldn't say that I want the current state of PGMOL without VAR, they're just not good enough, human errors and grey areas leading to difference in opinion is one thing but 3 or 4 times a season villa alone will get some utterly mind boggling decisions that simply can't happen 

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Honest question; do you not feel that an exaggeration such as 'a version of the game I don't recognise' is not helping the anti-VAR sentiment?

I get the faults of the current system, I watch a lot of football. But it's a game we still recognise - it's a game we experienced for the last 3-4 years. 

It's not tragic, the end of the world, taking the spirit of the game away. 

Just ask a QPR fan if they wished there was VAR yesterday - even if it meant they waited 3 minutes for a decision. 

The problems with VAR are ALL down to referees. That is the problem, the referees. 

I don’t feel it’s that big of an exaggeration, to be honest. Celebrating the moment of a goal scored is the pinnacle of the football experience, it’s what the game at its core is all about. VAR takes that away from me. 

Before, we might discuss a refereeing decision at length if it was particularly scandalous. Now, refereeing decisions seem to be all we ever talked about. VAR has reduced the way we talk about and discuss the game to endlessly looking at lines on a screen and still-frame photos of arms in various angles. 

I hate it. I hate what it’s doing to my game.

• Like 1

Just now, El Zen said:

I don’t feel it’s that big of an exaggeration, to be honest. Celebrating the moment of a goal scored is the pinnacle of the football experience, it’s what the game at its core is all about. VAR takes that away from me. 

Before, we might discuss a refereeing decision at length if it was particularly scandalous. Now, refereeing decisions seem to be all we ever talked about. VAR has reduced the way we talk about and discuss the game to endlessly looking at lines on a screen and still-frame photos of arms in various angles. 

I hate it. I hate what it’s doing to my game.

We Villa fans are still bitter about the Young dive or the Van Persie goals. 

As far as I can tell people have always talked about these things. 

48 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Not even close to the way we’re talking about it today. Every f***ing half-contentious decision is analyzed to death. 

41 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Not even close to the way we’re talking about it today. Every f***ing half-contentious decision is analyzed to death. 

The point is that we are still bitter about the calls that would have been corrected and that stood in the way of us achieving success.

Do you think it might be a media problem to a certain extent? If a bad call is trending on YouTube and Sky play on it, it's there for them to make money. Then you have people calling TalkSport saying how much they dislike it, it's a media driven circus.

Personally, I don't think it affects my enjoyment of the game much. I know for a fact that with the way we play now and all the close offside traps we must be the net beneficiary of the VAR system. 

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

But us being bitter over old decisions is a prime example as to the problem we have and why VAR isn't that problem 

VAR would not have sent vidic off....

Dowd saw it and chose to ignore the rules

The refs are the problem 

• 2 weeks later...

Granted I have Reguilon in my FPL and haven't even seen the incident, but if it takes 5.5 mins to overturn an onfield decision, is it really the right decision in the end?

41 minutes ago, a-k said:

Granted I have Reguilon in my FPL and haven't even seen the incident, but if it takes 5.5 mins to overturn an onfield decision, is it really the right decision in the end?

I’m guessing it took some time due to the varying factors (was it a penalty? Was it a red card if penalty?). Given that the result was a red card and a pen, I’d say 5 and a half mins to overturn “no pen” would be deemed as fine for the home fans. 

17 hours ago, a-k said:

I think it says more about the incompetence of the officials. It took me 3 seconds to realise it was a foul, and then maybe another minute to think he didn't make any attempt to play the ball and stopped the player from having a shot in the penalty area that could have been a goal, so by the rules it's a red card.

There's some subjectivity to the decision so instantaneous isn't expected,  but I'v not a clue why it took then 5.5 minutes.

• Like 1

Yeah I actually don't mind that not being a penalty, what is the defender to do? His arm is there because he's pointing to a team mate not because he's trying to block the ball, hard to tell if it's clever by Bailey but from that distance there's not a lot the defender can do

But at the same time that is 100% being given at anfield and OT, no doubt about it

• Like 2

23 hours ago, a-k said:

YARN | I withdraw my question. | The Simpsons (1989) - S08E14 Comedy |  Video clips by quotes | a43eaa4b | 紗

Can't believe how bad the angles were for the two disallowed West Ham goals. I think that's a big problem for the delay to VAR decisions. Premier league boosts about having 30-40 cameras at pretty much all the games now and yet none can clearly show a player handling the ball? Even when the ref went over to have a look it took them nearly a minute to switch the screen on.🤦‍♂️

These events are happening near the goalline so there's really no excuse to have multiple angles so that players going in don't obscure the image from one angle.

Â