The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Seems like they want to give Klippity Klopp a parting gift of a PL title before he leaves.

I've said, it would awkward for the PL for Man City to win it yet again, knowingly the PL are being ***** over trying to get this court case done and closed.

23 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Most commentators said he was on, Mike Dean in the Sky Studio said he was just on. You'll find the linesman flagged for Bailey not Moreno, Bailey  would have been in his eyeline  no way is he seeing Moreno offside, as In reality he was at worst inline.

Though like I've said before, you would have to time the cross (ball being kicked/touched) by a millisecond to know Moreno was offside there, an at the moment it cannot be done. There is no way you can call inline or millimetres offside for me, it's  physics (something Howard Webb and his crew would have no idea about, or take into account), an due to the issue ive explained above, not a chance, we are being taken for mugs really

With offside this close, im not sure why they dont stop f**** about for 5+ minutes and call it onside, make the rule.

Would be interesting to see what semi-automated offside would say for the goal.

I have a feeling clubs will vote against it again though, I think they like the dubious nature of lines having to be drawn, and delays during the game.

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It's clear as day that the system isn't working and can't work.

Agree with the first bit but despite hating it at the start I lean towards disagreeing with the second

Fifa can work it work - which is even more embarrassing for PGMOL and the PL, during the world cup VAR teams from footballing hotbeds like Honduras and Zimbabwe were perfectly fine 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Seems like they want to give Klippity Klopp a parting gift of a PL title before he leaves.

I think they were 3-0 up at the time😂

14 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

That Newcastle pen is nuts. The player being "fouled" is offside and not in the penalty area..... WTF!!!

He gets his shirt pulled continuously whilst going into the box - it’s a penalty.

The debate is around whether offside or not/when a foul starts etc. 

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

It's clear as day that the system isn't working and can't work.

The system is not the problem, it's the flesh and bone running it.

94% of car crashes are human error, not the car. Although the Refs are the driving instructors, so go figure.

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

He looks like he was on side  to me. The commentators also thought he was on side

Yeah but he wasn’t 

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

With offside this close, im not sure why they dont stop f**** about for 5+ minutes and call it onside, make the rule.

This.

Just put a time limit on every decision - you've got 1 minute to look at it, and if you can't get a definitive answer then the original decision stands as there is evidently no "clear and obvious error".

• Like 1

Think the offsides are fine, just the time they take need fixing. Red card decisions seem okay but could be slightly improved.

The penalty calls are an absolute mess and need fixing ASAP.  Just come to a collective decision as to what should and should not be a penalty, thats the ref on the pitch and the VAR. How you can have a system where if a ref doesn't give a foul the VAR team can go "Yep, no foul" and for the exact same incident if they gave a foul they'd go "Yep, foul". Hows anyone suppose to know what is and isn't a foul? Just make it consistent overall. 

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

The way it should be looked at but isn't because referees don't use common sense, is, would it be a foul outfield. On the Watkins penalty call, definately yes.

There was a very similar, but lesser foul by one of our players a bit late in the game.  The ref gave a free kick to Fulham for it.  So even in the very same game the inconsistency is baffling. 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

He gets his shirt pulled continuously whilst going into the box - it’s a penalty.

The debate is around whether offside or not/when a foul starts etc. 

But by the time he gets into the penalty he is offside. At that point the ball has been played to him. The correct decision would then have been a free kick as the foul prior to him being offside happened outside the box, but VAR wouldn't give one of those. 

6 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

But by the time he gets into the penalty he is offside. At that point the ball has been played to him. The correct decision would then have been a free kick as the foul prior to him being offside happened outside the box, but VAR wouldn't give one of those. 

It can’t be a free kick. It’s either a penalty or offside.

They need to change the language of the implementation urgently 

the ref not giving us, or forest a pen yesterday was not a error. For neither decision the ref had a clear view. But they’re saying that VAR is here to correct only the errors. Why not send him to the screen, and say ‘hey mate I don’t think you’ve made an error here but your view wasn’t the best so I think it’s worth taking another look’

no, the screen always has to come with the doubt that he’s made an error already 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It can’t be a free kick. It’s either a penalty or offside.

Why not? If their argument is that he's not offside until the ball is played, then the point that he becomes offside the foul stops being a foul. He became offside the second the ball was kicked towards him. If that happens before he's in the penalty area it can't be a penalty?

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Why not? If their argument is that he's not offside until the ball is played, then the point that he becomes offside the foul stops being a foul. He became offside the second the ball was kicked towards him. If that happens before he's in the penalty area it can't be a penalty?

A foul is given from the last point of the offence.  So in the instance of a trip, it's when the player is tripped.  For a shirt pull, it's when the shirt is let go of (which is in the penalty area).  So if it's a foul, it's a penalty.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

A foul is given from the last point of the offence.  So in the instance of a trip, it's when the player is tripped.  For a shirt pull, it's when the shirt is let go of (which is in the penalty area).  So if it's a foul, it's a penalty.

I know that rule, but if the last point of the offence is when a player is offside, I'm questioning why that is considered the last point. Surely it can't be an offence once the player is offside. I'm not questioning your explanation by the way, just proclaiming how ridiculous the rule seems.

Â