The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

The Watkins penalty that wasn't given today. 

Actually unbelievable. VAR is useless 

To me it looked like one of those fouls where everyone in football would think it's a foul. So I'm curious if anyone on here thinks it wasn't

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

To me it looked like one of those fouls where everyone in football would think it's a foul. So I'm curious if anyone on here thinks it wasn't

‘High bar’ for intervention 

Ref doesn’t give it so VAR won’t get involved 

in the review panel they’ll say it should have been given on field but VAR right to not intervene 

shambles 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

‘High bar’ for intervention 

Ref doesn’t give it so VAR won’t get involved 

in the review panel they’ll say it should have been given on field but VAR right to not intervene 

shambles 

Think what grates on a lot of people is that sometimes they'll apply the "high bar" for intervention, but other times they won't and will seemingly look for any reasons to get involved.

• Like 4

What "high bar" for intervention? VAR was brought in to intervene for those exact moments. Clear pen, ref makes a major mistake, that's what VAR is there for. VAR is not there for zooming in on pixelated freeze frames.

42 minutes ago, a-k said:

What "high bar" for intervention? VAR was brought in to intervene for those exact moments. Clear pen, ref makes a major mistake, that's what VAR is there for. VAR is not there for zooming in on pixelated freeze frames.

That's the problem right there l, the belief that VAR is there to fix mistakes, that VAR gives something in direct contrast to the ref, that they're disagreeing with each other 

Ref doesn't give the penalty because he can't clearly see it from his position... VAR is there to help him because they can see it clearly, they're a team... Instead we seemingly have this battle between them 

Today is bollocks that they didn't want to over rule him, or that they don't want to undermine the pitch ref, that's not what they're there for or what it's about, it's about the 5 man PGMOL ref team getting the right decision, they're incapable of it, add it to the list of their incompetencies  and why they're not fit for purpose 

54 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's the problem right there l, the belief that VAR is there to fix mistakes, that VAR gives something in direct contrast to the ref, that they're disagreeing with each other 

Ref doesn't give the penalty because he can't clearly see it from his position... VAR is there to help him because they can see it clearly, they're a team... Instead we seemingly have this battle between them 

Today is bollocks that they didn't want to over rule him, or that they don't want to undermine the pitch ref, that's not what they're there for or what it's about, it's about the 5 man PGMOL ref team getting the right decision, they're incapable of it, add it to the list of their incompetencies  and why they're not fit for purpose 

Honest opinion, if that happens to Man City, Liverpool or Arsenal they over rule the referee (or at least tell him to go and have a look on the monitor. )and give a penalty or am I missing something

• Like 1

Just watched the highlights from the games today on Sky Sports YouTube.

Arsenal get given what is a very soft pen, closer to a play for contact/dive for me. While us, Brentford & Forest get denied blatant pens. Sounds about right.

4 hours ago, Mantis said:

Newcastle getting a lot of VAR decisions seemed to start as soon as they got bought by the Saudis. Interesting.

In fairness its easier to get VAR decisions when you attack and are not managed by a clearing in the woods like Bruce

What the hell is that Newcastle penalty? 🤣 

Why are they doing these things???

Referees and Linesman being shit and VAR not correcting them is one thing. But VAR giving penalties to players in an offside position is going too far!  

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

6 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I can actually see why the ref might not have been given it because could look like a shoulder barge. But can’t for the life of me understand why he wouldn’t be told he’d made a mistake. 

The Moreno offside was even more bizarre. 

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What the hell is that Newcastle penalty? 🤣 

Why are they doing these things???

Referees and Linesman being shit and VAR not correcting them is one thing. But VAR giving penalties to players in an offside position is going too far!  

It’s really dodgy 

Newcastle avoid a pen last week despite it being an obvious foul then this gets overturned despite it being a clear offside? 

I also get the impression that PGMOL don’t care that there’s impression that they’re getting nearly everything wrong as they turn around and say they actually get most things right 

Â