The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

Just now, a-k said:

He has to be in the air before contact. If he does not go to air then he crashes straight into Diop's leg. That's why I said it's a foul even without any contact.

Mental. 

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Not dived? It’s pretty simple. 

And if he doesn't "dive", what happens? Full speed into Diop's leg

Edited by a-k

2 minutes ago, a-k said:

And if he doesn't "dive", what happens? Full speed into Diop's leg

Blind. but apparently penalties for no contact is the game you want so all power to you mate. You’d be livid if villa conceded this pen. 

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Blind. but apparently penalties for no contact is the game you want so all power to you mate. You’d be livid if villa conceded this pen. 

Mate, you're missing the point. Forget the pen decision for a second. You keep saying shouldn't have "dived", but what does that actually entail---i.e., what were his other options at that moment, in a split second running at full speed? 

There is no "dive" there. He has moved his leg out of the way to avoid going shin to shin with Diop, that's very clear from the first angle of the clip you posted in the Miwdeek Footnall thread. I'm sure 99.99% would have done the same. From the third angle you can see he hasn't stuck his leg out to the left into Diop, just trying to go over him. It's an unfortunate situation, but again I ask what else should he have done?

4 minutes ago, a-k said:

Mate, you're missing the point. Forget the pen decision for a second. You keep saying shouldn't have "dived", but what does that actually entail---i.e., what were his other options at that moment, in a split second running at full speed? 

There is no "dive" there. He has moved his leg out of the way to avoid going shin to shin with Diop, that's very clear from the first angle of the clip you posted in the Miwdeek Footnall thread. I'm sure 99.99% would have done the same. From the third angle you can see he hasn't stuck his leg out to the left into Diop, just trying to go over him. It's an unfortunate situation, but again I ask what else should he have done?

Does avoiding his leg mean jumping into the air, clipping his standing leg as he goes down? I don’t think so. 

it’s not a pen, we wouldn’t get that pen and neither would 85% of the league. 

1 minute ago, a-k said:

"Nah, I won't try and hurdle his leg. Let me continue at full speed right through and break this dude's shin"

MfDjWA1.png

Great guy Nunez, only trying to avoid injury of his fellow professional and the penalty he was awarded was a side product

completely and utterly deluded 🤣

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Does avoiding his leg mean jumping into the air, clipping his standing leg as he goes down? I don’t think so. 

He literally hurdles him with the leg that would otherwise crash into Diop's and you can see from the last angle that his body is in a straight path but Diop's has forward momentum. He's not left his leg there dangling, there's contact as he's trying to complete the circle motion.

He has not done anything that anyone would not have done  running at full speed and someone kicks out less than a meter in front.

Forget whether or not it is a pen, it's not a "dive".

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

it’s not a pen, we wouldn’t get that pen and neither would 85% of the league. 

Hurdling his leg, kicking the player and then landing in a fashion that if he wanted to stay on his feet he probably could...

That's not in my top 50 contentious decisions this season. I think it's probably a penalty tbh

Nunez nicks the ball, the Fulham player swings, completely missing it, but impedes Nunez and stops him continuing to play the ball. I don't think the jump is particularly egregious considering there's a swinging boot coming at him, he's getting clattered if he doesn't jump, and even though the swinging boot doesn't hit him, he gets bodychecked. If you're going to swing and get your body in the way of your opponent, you better win the ball.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, a-k said:

He literally hurdles him with the leg that would otherwise crash into Diop's and you can see from the last angle that his body is in a straight path but Diop's has forward momentum. He's not left his leg there dangling, there's contact as he's trying to complete the circle motion.

He has not done anything that anyone would not have done  running at full speed and someone kicks out less than a meter in front.

Forget whether or not it is a pen, it's not a "dive".

Do you think that's given 100/100 around every ground for every team in the PL?

Or do you think that's given for 6 teams in the league predominantly when they're at home? Maybe even 2 home teams in particular

That's where the PL is at

Liverpool at anfield and man utd at OT win that penalty, probably Harry Kane too, other than that I'm not convinced, Ollie Watkins got sent off for less

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Hurdling his leg, kicking the player and then landing in a fashion that if he wanted to stay on his feet he probably could...

not a dive though 

If you watch the last angle first you see that the only contact occurs here:

Screenshot-2023-05-03-at-23-10-14.png

If you then rewind to the better angle at the same frame you can see this is how Divin Nunez looks at the moment of contact:

Screenshot-2023-05-03-at-23-10-32.png

What is he doing here? Looks like a **** man bun of a ballet dancer.

His back leg is extended in a completely unnatural position to engineer contact. That means dive. It's staggering this even needs to be explained when you could just watch the clip and see how ridiculous it looks.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

That's not in my top 50 contentious decisions this season. I think it's probably a penalty tbh

Nunez nicks the ball, the Fulham player swings, completely missing it, but impedes Nunez and stops him continuing to play the ball. I don't think the jump is particularly egregious considering there's a swinging boot coming at him, he's getting clattered if he doesn't jump, and even though the swinging boot doesn't hit him, he gets bodychecked. If you're going to swing and get your body in the way of your opponent, you better win the ball.

He isn’t body checked though. 

the only contact is on Diop’s standing leg by an already airborne Nunez 

Just now, villa4europe said:

Do you think that's given 100/100 around every ground for every team in the PL?

Or do you think that's given for 6 teams in the league predominantly when they're at home? Maybe even 2 home teams in particular

That's where the PL is at

Liverpool at anfield and man utd at OT win that penalty, probably Harry Kane too, other than that I'm not convinced, Ollie Watkins got sent off for less

I have said in multiple messages that I am not talking about whether it is a pen or not, I am saying it is not a "dive", it is a natural reaction to having someone kick right in front of you.

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

If you watch the last angle first you see that the only contact occurs here:

Screenshot-2023-05-03-at-23-10-14.png

If you think rewind to the better angle at the same frame you can see this is how Divin Nunez looks at the moment of contact:

Screenshot-2023-05-03-at-23-10-32.png

What is he doing here? Looks like a **** man bun of a ballet dancer.

His back leg is extended in a completely unnatural position to engineer contact. That means dive. It's staggering this even needs to be explained when you could just watch the clip and see how ridiculous it looks.

Yes I can’t believe the opinions to the contrary here. Diop has entirely pulled out of the challenge by the time of the contact; so much so that the only contact is on his standing leg ffs 🤣

and even if you accept the logic that he’s hurdling him to avoid the contact, his back leg is entirely unnatural; therefore obvious dive. 

Edited by StefanAVFC

Â