The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think the main thing from this story is that Lee Mason shouldnt ref again 

As Nuno succinctly put it, this man is not fit to whistle.

PL officiating about due a huge review and overhaul. Consult with the actual football clubs, develop interpretations based on agreed spirit of the game, work in layer of transparency.

6 hours ago, ChrisVillan said:

This is my view. All these years later it's still frustrating that the idea was created to our cost because Mark Halsey wanted to tickle Thierry Henry's pommes de terre.

At least Lee Mason didn't shield the ball for Dunk and actually did blow his whistle, mind.

Was about to post the same thing. I'm still mad about that goal and the abysmal bit of refereeing.

Halsey v Arsenal, Friend v Palace, Axcel v West Ham and Elleray multiple times, including v Sunderland and v Newcastle. Black book of refereeing shame. Oh and some whopper whose names escapes me, momentarily v Boro away - Paul someone - Alcott? - maybe that bloke DiCanio pushed over? Shockingly biased.

28 minutes ago, blandy said:

Was about to post the same thing. I'm still mad about that goal and the abysmal bit of refereeing.

Halsey v Arsenal, Friend v Palace, Axcel v West Ham and Elleray multiple times, including v Sunderland and v Newcastle. Black book of refereeing shame. Oh and some whopper whose names escapes me, momentarily v Boro away - Paul someone - Alcott? - maybe that bloke DiCanio pushed over? Shockingly biased.

Can't immediately recall the Boro incident but I think Paul Alcock was Di Canio's mate.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Howard Webb, the man that ruined a World Cup Final

Webb says de Jong would have been sent off with video review

To be fair to Webb I think he didn't want to ruin the showcase occasion in world football and started off trying to let things go, not realising that the Dutch were sent out in such a disgraceful manner and it got out of control.  He probably was the best ref in the world at that time but this is what he will be remembered for.

1 hour ago, ChrisVillan said:

Can't immediately recall the Boro incident but I think Paul Alcock was Di Canio's mate.

The Boro’ one was away, maybe late 90s. They needed a win to stay up, we were upper half and in European places. Anyway the ref gave them absolutely everything. In the end I think Staunton got sent off for calling him a cheat. Several match reports the next day referenced how it wasn’t just the 50:50 decisions that went Boro’s way, it was the 20:80s as well. Which is being generous in the extreme. It looked crooked as **** from my seat in the away end. They went 2-0 up, we scored, they went to bits, we scored again. Then the ref gave them a last minute pen. They won 3-2. The only ref performance worse was the incompetent clown who reffed that game we played at the Albion, in Europe. Sent off loads, blew up 10 minutes early. Utterly hapless.  Imagine VAR in that game! 

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

The Boro’ one was away, maybe late 90s. They needed a win to stay up, we were upper half and in European places. Anyway the ref gave them absolutely everything. In the end I think Staunton got sent off for calling him a cheat. Several match reports the next day referenced how it wasn’t just the 50:50 decisions that went Boro’s way, it was the 20:80s as well. Which is being generous in the extreme. It looked crooked as **** from my seat in the away end. They went 2-0 up, we scored, they went to bits, we scored again. Then the ref gave them a last minute pen. They won 3-2. The only ref performance worse was the incompetent clown who reffed that game we played at the Albion, in Europe. Sent off loads, blew up 10 minutes early. Utterly hapless.  Imagine VAR in that game! 

If it was Jon Moss I am sure they would announce that games should be really 80 minutes 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Halsey was dreadful. When he was bored in games and had nothing he was supposed to fix, he had this habit of giving five or six bad but small decisions in the middle of the park in a sort of hectic way as if there was an absolute bar fight going on, then once he'd got the players all wound up he'd book two of them for nothing. He's still top of my list.

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

To be fair to Webb I think he didn't want to ruin the showcase occasion in world football and started off trying to let things go, not realising that the Dutch were sent out in such a disgraceful manner and it got out of control.  He probably was the best ref in the world at that time but this is what he will be remembered for.

Got to be honest... I don’t remember it. 

On 28/02/2021 at 10:13, bobzy said:

It’s not really a dick move. He asked the ref if he could take the free kick, then ref said yes and blew his whistle. Quick free kicks have been a thing for ages now - if you’re not ready to defend them, that’s your fault. It’s why people stand on the ball and ask the ref to allow them to set up before he blows his whistle etc.

The ref **** up, end of. The quick free kick was off the table. The spot had been marked, the ref walked the wall back 10 yards. At that point the ref waits for everyone to be reasonably ready.

In the old days you'd have a defender stand a yard from the ball to stop the quick kick.

As we did years ago with the Arsenal, Henry goal. Hendrie stood on the ball to stop the kick. The ref showed him the whistle and gestured for 10 yards. As he was walking away he allowed the kick. It was bullshit then as it was bullshit in the Brighton Baggies game.

Why can't the refs just own their mistakes???

• Like 2

On 28/02/2021 at 16:35, sharkyvilla said:

On 28/02/2021 at 17:01, Davkaus said:

It's fair enough that it's what he's remembered for IMO, he's looking right at a kung-fu kick to the chest. It's one of the all-time bad decisions.

To be fair I think Webb has spoken quite openly about this. Admitted he just didn't see it (I know he's looking right at it but the angle or the timing or he was looking at the ball or whatever).

He said he knew from the reaction of the players that he had **** up, and that it was probably a red card challenge. But he hadn't seen it properly and neither had his assistants so he just can't give it on a hunch or a guess.

Seemed pretty honest that he knew it was a mistake, and a big one.

• Like 2

Another arbitrary offside decision that should never have been, decided by a point on a sleeve.

Gobby Savage: "if it's offside, it's offside." Yeah, well this wasn't.

I can't believe anyone would look at that and think it's offside, or that perfectly good goals should be ruled out by a stray pube.

It's already been said a million times, but something's got to give.

• Like 2

Yep that was a perfectly good goal disallowed. Just how the feck a sleeve makes you offside. It has to be in my opinion where both players feet are at the point of the ball being played? That is the logical way of....

Oh never mind, we're dealing with the football authorities. Logic and common sense have no place in their world.

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Another shocking var call. Watkins smashed by 2 Sheffield United players, never mind the red card for Jagielka

How VAR didnt get involved is a joke. 

As for halsey, I'm certain I read somewhere that riffing the villa small heath game was the worst game he ever reffed (when Dion on gudjohnssen got sent off) and imo he never reffed us impartially after that night

The henry quick free kick still pisses me off as he tells henry to take it quick if you watch it close up. And who can forget the pen he gave young when he dived over Clark at old trafford

Â