The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

Just now, Keyblade said:

Maybe I misunderstood how this works. I thought you could stand up until the edge of the penalty area? Or are you not allowed inside the half circle?

Yeah, you're not allowed in that half circle.

• Like 1

The penalty arc (colloquially "the D") is marked from the outside edge of the penalty area, 9.15 metres (10 yd) from the penalty mark; this, along with the penalty area, marks an exclusion zone for all players other than the penalty kicker and defending goalkeeper during a penalty kick.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Starting to get really fed up with football now, never thought I’d say it but the game is being killed.

How was that not a penalty for City - I can only assume it’s because he didn’t claim it at the time (we should be rewarding integrity not penalising it) and tried to play on. The first replay sky showed was the only one you need to see, keeper clearly went into his foot and knocked him off balance.

What in the effing hell are these clowns looking at when judging these matters? 

Literally a 12 year old could see its a foul. Why can these highly qualified refs not? I think refs need taking out of stockley park. Put fans or former players in there instead.  They'd get more decisions correct 

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Literally a 12 year old could see its a foul. Why can these highly qualified refs not? I think refs need taking out of stockley park. Put fans or former players in there instead.  They'd get more decisions correct 

There should be some independent body that oversees VAR. Maybe one from FIFA or something. No way it should be the same incompetents the VAR was brought in to help in the first place.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Recently I remember watching SSN in the morning and they were doing their ref watch piece with Dermot Gallagher, it must have been just after the Chelsea - United game and they were looking at the possible handball in that game (which I thought was nailed on btw, Hudson-Odoi I think, it was soft but it was handball).

Anyway, from one angle you could clearly see that Hudson-Odoi handled it, it was then handled by the United player but that’s irrelevant. Gallagher tried to justify VAR’s decision making by saying that it didn’t look as clear from other camera angles. Now that’s true, but you’re not looking to make a decision based on multiple angles, you’re looking for the one angle that gives you the clearest view.

It scares me to think of the mindset of referees, said it before but I’m convinced that they see the game differently to those who enjoy playing and watching it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Get a better ratio of correct calls from this guy

The Simpsons Computer GIF

6 hours ago, penguin said:

VAR useless once again but allow me to play a tune on the worlds smallest violin that Barca were on the wrong side of it for once

It was just so ridiculous, to look and not give it, why? 
Even if they were wanting to generate drama they had a reason to give it. The guy who cleared it was a yard inside the area.

Is it corruption? With a Qatar WC round the corner, pressure from the top to get PSG a European trophy?

3 hours ago, Genie said:

It was just so ridiculous, to look and not give it, why? 
Even if they were wanting to generate drama they had a reason to give it. The guy who cleared it was a yard inside the area.

Is it corruption? With a Qatar WC round the corner, pressure from the top to get PSG a European trophy?

was the utd handball a VAR decision?

that was a shocker and would suggest no, its not corrupt if everyone is getting shit decisions...

56 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

was the utd handball a VAR decision?

that was a shocker and would suggest no, its not corrupt if everyone is getting shit decisions...

In fairness, with handball rules there is still a large subjective element to the officiating. These will always divide opinion with regards to “intent” the closeness of the defender to the ball when it was struck, the “natural” position of the arm etc.

The penalty one there was no excuse. Clear as black white, the defender was inside the 10 yard zone when the penalty was taken, he was then first to the ball to clear it. 100 times out of 100 it should be retaken. 

16 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The whole concept of "grazed the ball -> no penalty" that pervades English football has got to go. We saw the same thing on Trezeguet against Brighton.

Yep, the illiteracy from pundits and ex-pros and ex-refs justifies it, they don't want to, for the most part, point out the diabolical levels of officiating in the 'Best LEagUe in the WoRlD'.

• Like 1

grazed the ball no penalty

grazed the player..."well at that speed"

its a lack of understanding as to what they are seeing, touching the ball doesnt mean its not a foul, especially when the contact on the ball moves half an inch but the contact on the man prevents him from still playing it

if he doesnt kick trez across the shins then the ball is still trez's, its right there next to him, theres a huge difference between touching the ball and winning it

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The whole concept of "grazed the ball -> no penalty" that pervades English football has got to go. We saw the same thing on Trezeguet against Brighton.

I remember a game on Sky years ago though I forget the teams and a literal legbreaker was ruled ok for winning the ball

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I remember a game on Sky years ago though I forget the teams and a literal legbreaker was ruled ok for winning the ball

Just this season, Pickford ends Van Dijk's season, but it's okay because he was offside :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Just this season, Pickford ends Van Dijk's season, but it's okay because he was offside :lol:

It’s crazy. I bet if he’d have punched him in the face whilst offside it would have been different. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Traditional British game innit. Loves a good tackle.

Â