The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

3 minute VAR check to decide that the ref should go and watch the video himself and decide if it is a penalty. Ref looks at the video and decides in 5 sec that it isn't a penalty.

Why not just have the ref look at the video straight away and save 3 minutes?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sne said:

3 minute VAR check to decide that the ref should go and watch the video himself and decide if it is a penalty. Ref looks at the video and decides in 5 sec that it isn't a penalty.

Or how about VAR don't intervene when it's not a clear and obvious error?

10 minutes ago, sne said:

It's to save time apparently because it must take all of 20 seconds for a ref to run to the monitor.  The thing is the ref himself knows why he did or didn't give a certain decision, he can just have a look to see if what he thought he saw is clearly wrong and if he needs to change it.  That's always going to be quicker than someone else doing it.  I wonder how often a ref who watched the incident again would have come to a different decision the VAR man had made.

• Like 1

I don't think that was a pen.. but we've seen those given this year. I'd just like some consistency from the refs, and looking at that with one ref (the var) thinking it's a foul and the on the field ref saying no, we might be waiting for that 

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not sure how a yellow card was given for a foul in the box but no penalty? I can only imagine it's because the ball wasn't in play yet?

Yep dead ball so no pen

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not sure how a yellow card was given for a foul in the box but no penalty? I can only imagine it's because the ball wasn't in play yet?

its one of the issues with the Pickford/Van Dijk incident, it could never have been a penalty even if the red card was given

How did Liverpool get a penalty for that as hand ball, it hit the Fulham players elbow that was Infront of his body. It was in a more natural position than the Wolves players arm which was away from his body .

The fact that these decisions are changing from game to game are the problem, it's poor leadership from the FA who appear to be completely incompetent. Why isn't anyone there to explain wtf is going on.   

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

VAR making the type of offside decision we've been calling out for. Didn't bring out the silly lines. Looked level. Onside.

That was weird, they did draw the lines but didn't zoom. It looked level enough that I agree with the decision, but I was sure the lines would've given Son offside by a few cm.

006eb3a0-7bf6-464d-8a94-98cd69211eec.jpg

PGMOL statement: "In the 33rd minute of Liverpool vs. Spurs, Son Heung-min scored for Spurs, the goal was checked for a possible offside by VAR.

"The calibrated line was drawn from Liverpool defender Rhys William’s furthest point forward, his left foot, which showed that Son was behind him when the ball was played.

"As both players' feet were the furthest point forward and planted on the ground, the 3D crosshair lines were not required."

Funny that...They suddenly do it in a major game.

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

Contact initiated outside the box when not the last man. If there is any contact in the box then it's the slightest of touches from toe to Wilson's heel, which never in a million years sends both of a striker's legs sprawling like that. It is becoming more and more apparent that VAR is just a euphemism for corruption.

1 hour ago, a-k said:

Contact initiated outside the box when not the last man. If there is any contact in the box then it's the slightest of touches from toe to Wilson's heel, which never in a million years sends both of a striker's legs sprawling like that. It is becoming more and more apparent that VAR is just a euphemism for corruption.

100% a dive. What a disgrace to give that as a penalty. 

I really wish a journalist had the balls to call players out in these situations...

“Callum, did you think it was a penalty?”

”Yes”

“Why?”

“He’s tugged me back and then kicked through the bottom of my foot”

“Are you sure about that? On replay it didn't look like there was anywhere near enough contact to result in both of your legs flailing in the air in the manner they did”

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, a-k said:

I really wish a journalist had the balls to call players out in these situations...

“Callum, did you think it was a penalty?”

”Yes”

“Why?”

“He’s tugged me back and then kicked through the bottom of my foot”

“Are you sure about that? On replay it didn't look like there was anywhere near enough contact to result in both of your legs flailing in the air in the manner they did”

If only, ‘journalists’ - and it really is a very loose term these days, at least in the traditional sense - are desperate to be liked, desperate to be ‘in’ with these people, our collective obsession with celebrity is killing us as a functioning and purposeful entity.

Won’t see many more blatant dives than that. It’s beyond incompetent how that’s been given as a penalty and I’d be beyond furious if that was given against us. The equivalent level of failure in another profession, say teaching for example, would be a teacher punching a kid in the face. It’s the exact opposite of what’s right.

Â