The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

9 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If only, ‘journalists’ - and it really is a very loose term these days, at least in the traditional sense - are desperate to be liked, desperate to be ‘in’ with these people, our collective obsession with celebrity is killing us as a functioning and purposeful entity.

I don’t think it’s a journos obsession with a celebrity that’s stopping them from asking the difficult questions, it’s just that they want to stay on their good side so that they will willingly talk to them openly (or as ‘openly’ as they do) the next time that journo wants an interview.

Came in here to have a look at opinions on the Newcastle decision last night. Watching the game (no sound as I cannot stand most of the commentary), when it went to VAR, I presumed it was to see if there was a foul. Clearly there wasn't and I presumed the ref was being sent over to reverse his decision. Imagine my surprise when he brandishes a red card and it's a penalty.

Absolutely shocking. Absolutely shocking. How they can justify it is absolutely embarrassing.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Worst thing to ever happen to the game.

It sounds melodramatic but it really is killing it. That fans haven’t been in stadiums has softened the backlash had they been the reactions in stadiums would have been palpable.

I watch less football now than ever because it’s just ruining it, I always said this would happen. 

They are destroying everything good about the game, they have to act and admit the error. It should just be scrapped.

• Like 2

Parker is right about VAR:

"The contact is initially made outside the box. He [Wilson] then goes into the box and dives. The ref decides to give the penalty.

"We have VAR, which is obviously then calling him to say, 'Can you go and check it because I'm not sure it is'.

"He then goes over to the screen. Unless he's seen something totally different to me...I've slowed it down numerous times.

"I don't know whether he's looking at the same angles I'm looking at but, yeah, I just don't understand.

"Like I said, the game's changing drastically. It hasn't changed for the better in my opinion. The game's going one way now.

"On the sideline, it's just a shouting match in terms of this decision, that decision. It's a bit of a mess to be honest."

Once again, managers are left as confused as the fans, by the decision making process and the lack of oversight or scrutiny. Managers have similar technology (you assume) and are drawing different conclusions. How can there be any trust?

He also called it criminal for how much it gets wrong. I don't blame him.

Edited by The_Steve

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Came in here to have a look at opinions on the Newcastle decision last night. Watching the game (no sound as I cannot stand most of the commentary), when it went to VAR, I presumed it was to see if there was a foul. Clearly there wasn't and I presumed the ref was being sent over to reverse his decision. Imagine my surprise when he brandishes a red card and it's a penalty.

Absolutely shocking. Absolutely shocking. How they can justify it is absolutely embarrassing.

I thought that also, but when the replay was held frozen on the frame where Andersen/Wilson both had their foot on the 18 yard box, I wasn't sure what exactly they were looking at. Then, when the ref was heading over to the monitor, the commentator mentioned "we understand the penalty will stand and it's been checked for a red card offence". WTF? This again raises the question of how was not sending the player off a clear and obvious error??

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

It sounds melodramatic but it really is killing it. That fans haven’t been in stadiums has softened the backlash had they been the reactions in stadiums would have been palpable.

I watch less football now than ever because it’s just ruining it, I always said this would happen. 

They are destroying everything good about the game, they have to act and admit the error. It should just be scrapped.

I can just imagine it now...fans chanting "f*ck VAR" and "VAR is shite" for 10 minutes, and the TV broadcast has to ironically turn off the pitchside microphones to block out the crowd noise so that the commentator isn't constantly saying "apologies for those of you who may have heard any offensive language"

• Like 1

What happened to 'getting the ball' which made Michael Oliver overturn our penalty? He is on VAR today and told Banks to check the monitor.

That's a red but he quite clearly gets the ball first. It's almost as if getting the ball isn't the point.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

What happened to 'getting the ball' which made Michael Oliver overturn our penalty? He is on VAR today and told Banks to check the monitor.

That's a red but he quite clearly gets the ball first. It's almost as if getting the ball isn't the point.

You're conflating different principles here.

Getting the player before the ball is a foul in all circumstances. Getting the ball before the man doesn't necessarily mean it isn't a foul, if the challenge is reckless or dangerous, as we saw today.

Just now, Davkaus said:

You're conflating different principles here.

Getting the player before the ball is a foul in all circumstances. Getting the ball before the man doesn't necessarily mean it isn't a foul, if the challenge is reckless or dangerous, as we saw today.

How so?

When Michael Oliver overturned our penalty, he clearly mouths 'got the ball' as his reasoning. I'm talking generally about fouls here, as clearly he decided getting the ball (or more accurately, the ball flicking off his shin) was the important factor in our game, regardless of March taking Trez out.

I am just expecting the same ref to follow his own logic.

Btw it's blatantly a red, but our pen was blatantly a pen.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

How so?

When Michael Oliver overturned our penalty, he clearly mouths 'got the ball' as his reasoning. I'm talking generally about fouls here, as clearly he decided getting the ball (or more accurately, the ball flicking off his shin) was the important factor in our game, regardless of March taking Trez out.

Not sure I understand. Are you suggesting that it should not have been a free kick but still a red? Michael Oliver is not in a position to overturn the free kick decision, but you agree that his decision that it's a red is correct?

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

How so?

If he hadn't have touched the ball (and it was only a minor touch, which is why the question was even asked), it would definitely have been given as a penalty, even though the contact with the player was fairly minimal.]

However getting the ball doesn't mean it isn't a foul if it's one deemed serious foul play for a number of reasons.

Essentially:

•  An attempt to play the ball that gets the ball first with minor contact with the player may not be a foul
  • The same attempt with the same contact with the player will always be given as a foul if they don't get the ball at all, or if they get the player and then the ball
  • Getting the ball first is completely irrelevant if the foul is sufficiently serious, as today's was

10 minutes ago, a-k said:

Not sure I understand. Are you suggesting that it should not have been a free kick but still a red? Michael Oliver is not in a position to overturn the free kick decision, but you agree that his decision that it's a red is correct?

No, it was a red, blatantly.

I am just frustrated with the inconsistent application of the rules, especially as the same ref overturned our pen on the same principle.

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If he hadn't have touched the ball (and it was only a minor touch, which is why the question was even asked), it would definitely have been given as a penalty, even though the contact with the player was fairly minimal.]

However getting the ball doesn't mean it isn't a foul if it's one deemed serious foul play for a number of reasons.

Essentially:

•  An attempt to play the ball that gets the ball first with minor contact with the player may not be a foul
  • The same attempt with the same contact with the player will always be given as a foul if they don't get the ball at all, or if they get the player and then the ball
  • Getting the ball first is completely irrelevant if the foul is sufficiently serious, as today's was

I disagree the contact was minimal, Deano himself said they heard it from the touchline.

it's just baffling inconsistency, linked to VAR, and incredibly incompetent refs.

it feels like they make it up as they go along.

Edited by StefanAVFC

13 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

No, it was a red, blatantly.

I am just frustrated with the inconsistent application of the rules, especially as the same ref overturned our pen on the same principle.

I disagree the contact was minimal, Deano himself said they heard it from the touchline.

it's just baffling inconsistency, linked to VAR, and incredibly incompetent refs.

it feels like they make it up as they go along.

It was 100% minimal mate, you can clearly see it for yourself - of course the Manager will say something like that though.

It was a dive, even if the Brighton player hadn’t touched the ball I’d have been a bit embarrassed by it - not enough to not celebrate and be happy with the point of course but I can’t in good conscience say that was a penalty, it is a contact sport afterall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It was 100% minimal mate, you can clearly see it for yourself - of course the Manager will say something like that though.

It was a dive, even if the Brighton player hadn’t touched the ball I’d have been a bit embarrassed by it - not enough to not celebrate and be happy with the point of course but I can’t in good conscience say that was a penalty, it is a contact sport afterall.

Regardless, 1) Was it a clear and obvious error? 2) The contact wasn't disputed, Oliver overturned it due to 'getting the ball' but getting the ball was totally irrelevant in this case.

Just inconsistent, and no technology will change that as the officiating level is so poor.

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Regardless, 1) Was it a clear and obvious error? 2) The contact wasn't disputed, Oliver overturned it due to 'getting the ball' but getting the ball was totally irrelevant in this case.

Just inconsistent, and no technology will change that as the officiating level is so poor.

But do you think that the contact warranted Trez’s reaction? Do you think that light brush on the shin was so painful it made him tuck both legs in the air and go to ground? 

I don’t, at all, his reaction to it was totally artificial. Honestly I’m bored of searching for the slightest bits of contact to justify cheating.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But do you think that the contact warranted Trez’s reaction? Do you think that light brush on the shin was so painful it made him tuck both legs in the air and go to ground? 

I don’t, at all, his reaction to it was totally artificial. Honestly I’m bored of searching for the slightest bits of contact to justify cheating.

totally irrelevant to the point I'm making though.

Â