The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It was neither. It was the top of his arm/shoulder. Which is a part of the body you can score with and therefore if it's offside then you are offside.

It's a shit rule, but with shit rules as they are it was technically correct. Just a farce.

It's all assuming they know the exact point that the ball left Targett's foot, which from the technology present it sounds like they didn't/don't.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It was neither. It was the top of his arm/shoulder. Which is a part of the body you can score with and therefore if it's offside then you are offside.

It's a shit rule, but with shit rules as they are it was technically correct. Just a farce.

They were measuring the difference between the bottom of Noble and Watkins sleeves, which doesn't really work unless everyone uses the same design.

Aston Villa have secured 'one of England's brightest young prospects' Matty  Cash - AVFC - Avillafan.com - Aston Villa Fansite, Blog, & Forum..

Saïd Benrahma - The First Interview | West Ham United

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’d modify that offside rule to be feet only. It would take out some of the arm, elbow, shoulder, t-shirt line debate.

I really think it's as simple to fix as doing away with the lines and eyeballing the freeze frame. It would also be way quicker and less disruptive.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I really think it's as simple to fix as doing away with the lines and eyeballing the freeze frame. It would also be way quicker and less disruptive.

The genie is out of the lamp now unfortunately. If you you’re going go look at video, and can add lines then you need to do it.

We can’t look at things with 1 eye. It’s either done as accurately as possible (maybe with some rule tweaks) or not at all

Just seen it on twitter, what the **** is the defender supposed to do there? 

At worst it's shoulder to shoulder and Greenwood crumpling when he knows he can't out muscle him but all the contact is initiated by Greenwood, leans in to him and then goes down 

21 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

They were measuring the difference between the bottom of Noble and Watkins sleeves, which doesn't really work unless everyone uses the same design.

Aston Villa have secured 'one of England's brightest young prospects' Matty  Cash - AVFC - Avillafan.com - Aston Villa Fansite, Blog, & Forum..

Saïd Benrahma - The First Interview | West Ham United

You can see regardless that the lines are drawn from a different part of the arm.

52 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Just seen it on twitter, what the **** is the defender supposed to do there? 

At worst it's shoulder to shoulder and Greenwood crumpling when he knows he can't out muscle him but all the contact is initiated by Greenwood, leans in to him and then goes down 

It's a shocking decision...can clearly see Greenwood extending through with his arm to push the defender away.

And now, apparently Liverpool have conceded a penalty even though the attacker was allegedly offside (I haven't seen it). I thought it was just in the Premier League but seems like VAR is a shambles everywhere. Really makes you think about the possibility of referees having been bought, as mentioned elsewhere.

21 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

What's even better is to call an offside only if the part of the body that you score with is offside. For example, if your head and arm are offside but you score with your feet (i.e. Watkins Vs West Ham) it's a goal.

If for example, your head is offside and you score a header, it's an offside.

This fix would get rid of a lot of debate, for example the Bamford goal where he pointed where he wants the ball. 

It would also include all the body parts in equation, meaning that the rules can still stay the same as for gaining advantage with your head or shoulders.

16 hours ago, Mic09 said:

What's even better is to call an offside only if the part of the body that you score with is offside. For example, if your head and arm are offside but you score with your feet (i.e. Watkins Vs West Ham) it's a goal.

If for example, your head is offside and you score a header, it's an offside.

This fix would get rid of a lot of debate, for example the Bamford goal where he pointed where he wants the ball. 

It would also include all the body parts in equation, meaning that the rules can still stay the same as for gaining advantage with your head or shoulders.

This idea was mentioned very recently, and I like it on principle. I think it was @Stevo985 that pointed at a problem though - what if your foot is offside but you end up shinning it in for example? Then you may talk about whole limbs, but it's just adding more time and complexity to the line drawing debacle.

I would like them to just quickly eyeball it. The linesman should have a monitor on their side of the pitch to make this decision in 5 seconds, giving them more of a job still. But as @Genie said, the lines are out now and it seems unlikely that they'll stop using them altogether.

In that case I think the best compromise would be just measuring from the front of the foot, say, always. You can't really be in a position where you're running forwards with your arms or head behind your foot, and it would get rid of the going backwards heel offside like Wesley's goal too. If you happen to be in a full length forward dive for a header when the ball is crossed, meaning that your boot is onside with your forehead that scores the goal up to about 1.8 m offside in the current rules, then so be it - 'cause it would be a **** awesome goal anyway.

Edited by fightoffyour

On 30/11/2020 at 23:01, Davkaus said:

IMO it should be used to overturn the kind of once or twice a season, absolute howlers the refs sometimes make. Think the Henry handball against Ireland, or Poll giving 3 yellow cards . Just for completely incorrectly called incidents. Missed incidents, mistaken identity, anything that'd clearly be overturned on appeal, or that the ref just didn't see.

**** the offside stuff off. If you need to freezeframe and start doodling, it's too close to matter. If I were in charge, play it a couple of times in realtime. No slow motion, not trigonometry. If it's not obvious in a realtime replay, it's onside.

the ridiculous thing is that this is how it was sold to us at the start of last season. saw an interview with the head of the refs or something who literally said just this..."we are not looking to re-referee the game, this is to cut out the referring howlers"

something changed after a few weeks and i have no idea why

• Like 1

On 08/12/2020 at 22:20, Genie said:

I’d modify that offside rule to be feet only. 

and then put little GPS trackers embedded in the football boot, and then let hawkeye do the whole offside thing automatically and instantaneously.

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

and then put little GPS trackers embedded in the football boot, and then let hawkeye do the whole offside thing automatically and instantaneously.

We’d still be left with the “interfering with play” debate.

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I am sort of enjoying how VAR is ruining football, I thought money would drive people away but its actually technology. Klopp has now come out saying he hates it after he was initially a fan

Give me Villa playing at Orascom Construction Park over institutionalised match-fixing any day.

• Like 1

It’s only encroachment if the ball is touched by the encroaching player isn’t it? A side, can’t remember who, got away with it the other week after a VAR check because the encroaching player didn’t play the ball.

But **** if I know what the rules are anymore, I’m not even sure they do.

• Like 1

Â