The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

On 22/05/2020 at 13:52, villa4europe said:

the san siro is structurally **** isn't it? like a number of old Italian stadiums, not sure if it was some ropey works for italia 90 or just old age, they will of course also be introducing top notch corporate facilities which is the new main thing

and the stadium design is down to 2 - https://www.nuovostadiomilano.com/en I think they look ok, the cathedral in particular, I think that's how new stadiums are going, use of light weight materials and glass taking natural light for the day and then using light pollution on the night, that to me is very modern

Edit - the wording from the Italian officials is harsh though! No problems with its demolition because it holds no cultural significance 

Scary to think about how many concrete bridges, stadiums and other buildings there is out there that are fatigued and are nearing their end life cycle.

That bridge collapse in Genoa a 2 years ago was scary as heck and the world is full of structures like that. Must be really hard to keep up with the maintenance and controls up.

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I feel really quite profoundly depressed about it. Like, football just isn't that important.

When they(and other clubs) start spending money on footballers after this pandemic it will feel surreal. If agents like Mino Raiola makes millions next transfer window I don't know what I'll do.

• Like 1

On 17/05/2020 at 13:47, Xela said:

I've watched a lot of football on youtube over the last couple of months... mainly mid to late 80's and early 90's. The football I grew up on. Players seemed to have far more time on the ball back then. Nowadays the footballers are far better athletes. Fitter, bigger, stronger, faster, etc. I do think the technical side has dropped though across the board. Everything just seems so rushed now, almost as if the pitch isn't big enough! 

Maybe thats what they are angling at... bigger goals and maybe bigger pitches to compensate for the fact that footballers are probably twice as athletic as they used to be? 

Yes there is far more pressing in the modern game which to an extent stops the 'flow' of a match and is more stop-start. Its just an impression but it seems like more goals come from mistakes,referring decisions or quick counter attack goals than say  20-25  years ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I feel really quite profoundly depressed about it. Like, football just isn't that important.

Football has been sinking lower and lower over the last 10-15 years. 

Its like the moment it became fashionable it was the beginning of the end. 

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

Football has been sinking lower and lower over the last 10-15 years. 

Its like the moment it became fashionable it was the beginning of the end. 

There have been many low moments, but this really is something else.

When he entered the consulate, Khashoggi was jumped by several men. He had a bag placed over his head, and was suffocated. The final words that can be heard on the audio recording of the assassination are Khashoggi pleading, 'I'm suffocating, take this bag off my head . . . I'm claustrophobic'. After he was killed - a process that may have taken up to seven minutes - the team of fifteen people dismembered his body with a bone saw. Then the consulate had an impromptu barbecue on the lawns, to disguise the smell as they burned his corpse.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

55 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

There have been many low moments, but this really is something else.

When he entered the consulate, Khashoggi was jumped by several men. He had a bag placed over his head, and was suffocated. The final words that can be heard on the audio recording of the assassination are Khashoggi pleading, 'I'm suffocating, take this bag off my head . . . I'm claustrophobic'. After he was killed - a process that may have taken up to seven minutes - the team of fifteen people dismembered his body with a bone saw. Then the consulate had an impromptu barbecue on the lawns, to disguise the smell as they burned his corpse.

Fit and proper. 

• Like 3

On 22/05/2020 at 12:52, villa4europe said:

the san siro is structurally **** isn't it? like a number of old Italian stadiums, not sure if it was some ropey works for italia 90 or just old age, they will of course also be introducing top notch corporate facilities which is the new main thing

and the stadium design is down to 2 - https://www.nuovostadiomilano.com/en I think they look ok, the cathedral in particular, I think that's how new stadiums are going, use of light weight materials and glass taking natural light for the day and then using light pollution on the night, that to me is very modern

Edit - the wording from the Italian officials is harsh though! No problems with its demolition because it holds no cultural significance 

The cathedral design does look very good, I particularly like the line that says “this is no generic stadium like Moscow or Manchester”. 

Yeah **** you man citeh! 

On 17/05/2020 at 13:47, Xela said:

I've watched a lot of football on youtube over the last couple of months... mainly mid to late 80's and early 90's. The football I grew up on. Players seemed to have far more time on the ball back then. Nowadays the footballers are far better athletes. Fitter, bigger, stronger, faster, etc. I do think the technical side has dropped though across the board. Everything just seems so rushed now, almost as if the pitch isn't big enough! 

Maybe thats what they are angling at... bigger goals and maybe bigger pitches to compensate for the fact that footballers are probably twice as athletic as they used to be? 

The standard of general defending is much better now. That's a bit of an odd statement considering there isn't as many top CBs around as say 90s but looking at some old MOTDs and some of the mistakes the top teams used to make were incredible, likes of Phil Babb treading on the ball and then giving away penalties on one round up involving a Liverpool game. Keepers would also let in much softer goals in that time.

Now players get crucified if they let someone go past them by half a yard and it leads to a goal.

Its interesting that the Milan clubs are following the Juventus lead and want a new stadium but with a lower capacity. Corporate hospitality is much more important than the plebs in the upper tiers. That appears to be the trend. Man U have gone very, very quiet on expanding Old Trafford as probably it is not worth the hundreds of millions just to bump capacity by 10,000. Ditto Celtic. Same with Barcelona the Nou Camp redevelopment has disappeared as well. It appears really only economically worth building a new ground altogether which are basically corporate super stadiums with some seats,. It not worth  clubs time in  just plonking extra seats on old stadia.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

When they(and other clubs) start spending money on footballers after this pandemic it will feel surreal. If agents like Mino Raiola makes millions next transfer window I don't know what I'll do.

I think football is going to reach a new realism soon, agents like Raiola going see the truth

Only one survive is Jorge Mendes because he seems to care about his talent 

On 23/05/2020 at 20:35, VillaChris said:

The standard of general defending is much better now. That's a bit of an odd statement considering there isn't as many top CBs around as say 90s but looking at some old MOTDs and some of the mistakes the top teams used to make were incredible, likes of Phil Babb treading on the ball and then giving away penalties on one round up involving a Liverpool game. Keepers would also let in much softer goals in that time.

That was just Phil Babb though ;)

The 90's was an era of better defenders... McGrath, Maldini and Baresi to name 3. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think football is going to reach a new realism soon, agents like Raiola going see the truth

Parasites.

They make their money by constantly unsettling players and forcing moves. Clubs are complicit though as they pay them. They just just all refuse. Agents should be payed by the player themselves only. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

That was just Phil Babb though ;)

The 90's was an era of better defenders... McGrath, Maldini and Baresi to name 3. 

Just found the game, it wasn't actually Babb who lost the ball but Steve Harkness, remember him (Collymore crippled him the next season).

Liverpool were only playing against 9 men aswell when they conceded that penalty.

Nowadays someone like Alex Arnold gets crucified on social media if he switches off for half a second and dosen't block a cross so there's certainly less tolerance of defensive errors now compared to the carefree 90s.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Just found the game, it wasn't actually Babb who lost the ball but Steve Harkness, remember him (Collymore crippled him the next season).

Liverpool were only playing against 9 men aswell when they conceded that penalty.

Nowadays someone like Alex Arnold gets crucified on social media if he switches off for half a second and dosen't block a cross so there's certainly less tolerance of defensive errors now compared to the carefree 90s.

Harkness... didn't Collymore claim he was racially abused by him? Was that the same game he tried to strangle Michael Owen as well?! :lol:  Good old Stan!

I agree about the scrutiny players are under now... but i think social media is a driver for that. A lot more hate gets spouted now from the anonymity of a keyboard. Could you imagine what social media would have made of the Beckham sending off vs Argentina in 98 or Sol Campbell's move to Arsenal in 2001. It would have been carnage! 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

On 22/05/2020 at 13:12, Jimzk5 said:

Mayby not quite games gone territory but Italian government gives permission for 1920s built San siro stadium to be demolished so a identikit bowl can be built in its place

Apparently part of the structure will be saved and implemented into a new sport complex that is to be built there. So that's nice I guess. Hope they save at least 2 of those spiral walkways.

In other news it looks like we might have some news on the Stadio della Roma that's been planned since 2012.

it sounds like Inter's main sponsor Pirelli have an executive who is proposing the move

seems beyond daft, they lose icardi as he'll make his loan deal permanent but then they have Martinez plus Esposito coming through so he's left as a near like for like back up for lukaku

the article I saw on it says cavani and werner, werner I can understand

Cavani is a much more rounded player than Icardi though. Icardi brings trouble and has obviously had a difficult relationship with Inter.

And Cavani's fitness levels are good so I don't think his age would be a huge issue. There seems to be an increasing number of strikers getting better and better into their 30s. Lewandowski has had an incredible season at 31, Cristiano Ronaldo is 35, Messi is almost 33, Suárez is 33 (although admittedly he's had injury troubles lately), etc. The recently and sadly retired Aritz Aduriz being a prime example too.

It'd also be a very high-profile signing which would generate money too. I'm far from knowledgeable on this but I think there is quite a strong Italian heritage in Uruguay?

On 24/05/2020 at 21:09, Xela said:

Parasites.

They make their money by constantly unsettling players and forcing moves. Clubs are complicit though as they pay them. They just just all refuse. Agents should be payed by the player themselves only. 

100% this. 

On 24/05/2020 at 21:09, Xela said:

Parasites.

It's up to the leagues or UEFA or fifa to stop it but they are all corrupt and greedy so nothing will be done. Agents will get their greasy hands on money and backhanders and brown envelopes will be the order of the day  

Â