January transfer window 2018

Jareth

6 hours ago, jasoncb said:

So because he didn't score in the first 6 games he's finished? Last season he bagged 17 goals so I think your evaluation of him is extremely harsh.

I agree with the fee part though, Palace would want to recoup at least the transfer fee they paid Liverpool which is beyond our means in this league.

If we go up and they go down he might be an good option to consider.

I understand some of the sentimental blind faith by some on here but he is very much another confidence player who needs molly coddled and I don't believe in players or managers returning to clubs.

For me, I feel we could spend money much better and more wisely on a striker who is worth more his fee.

Attack my opinion of the guy, but he wouldn't be anywhere near one of my teams anymore.

Many people have short memories in forgetting we were only a "stepping stone" in his career on his mafical journey to Arsenal.

• Confused 1

That 'stepping stone' comment was very early in his Villa career, and I'm sure that a year in, he would have worded it differently if he knew how it came across. Not to mention, that was when he was younger and probably had ambitions of how good he could become. I'd imagine his opinion has changed now that he's spent a few years out of 'next big thing' spotlight.

I'd definitely take him back. As long as you have a manager that can get the best out of him, then he's an incredible asset to have. How many times did he single-handedly won us a game with a moment of brilliance? Those types of players can be invaluable. I'd say Kodjia is a similar player, so imagine having two of them in the squad?

(I'd also want Milner back if we could :D)

EDIT: I was talking about the Summer transfer window, if we got promoted.

Edited by Rob182

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

He isn't finished at all, just very low on confidence. If we went back up and he came home he would have the backing of all the fans. I think that alone we would see best of tekkers.

This is not `his home'. He always thought he was too good for us.

8 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

He was too good for us. His goals kept us up for 3 seasons. But I do think he is a player that needs to be 100% fit and confident to get the best out of. 

Id have him back one day if the price was right. 

On 11/27/2017 at 02:30, TheAuthority said:

Hmmmm Czech striker with a good record in the Europa league......

Aston-Villas-Libor-Kozak-celebrates-afte

Sadly didn't go to plan :(

Thats a little unfair. Before his injuries he looked decent.  That he had 2 bad injuries while at villa was unfortunate.  Doesnt mean he couldnt have made it without them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

No he didnt, I never once saw he slate the club fans or allude to this.

The way the club was run he shouldn't have gone ages before but he still gave his all.  

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

You know he said we were a stepping stone?

He did. Must have missed that, are you referring to this?

Aston Villa star Christian Benteke declares his love for Arsenal

STRIKER Christian Benteke has dropped a bombshell on Aston Villa -- admitting a dream to play for Arsenal.

By Adrian Kajumba / Published 16th November 2012

Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke

I am not afraid of making enemies at Aston Villa by saying I love Arsenal

Christian Benteke

The Belgium star has declared his love for the Gunners and revealed he is using Villa as a stepping stone to bigger and better things in the Premier League.

The 21-year-old only joined Villa in the summer but his fine form so far has seen him picked ahead of £24m record signing Darren Bent.

That could change, though, when Villa boss Paul Lambert gets wind of Benteke’s outburst.

“Arsenal are the club I love,” said the £7m striker.

“I like their philosophy of selecting young players, and besides they had Thierry Henry in their team. For me he is the best player in the world, and he was my boyhood idol.

“I am not afraid of making enemies at Aston Villa by saying I love Arsenal. There are worse things one can say.

“I am a Villa player for now. They are the right club at the right time for me.

“I have fulfilled a dream by getting to play in the Premier League, and now it is all about staying as long as possible. Villa is just the beginning of my career in England.

This?

To be honest I have absolutely no problems with what he has said, he wants to play for Arsenal. A team better than us that were consistently in the champions league and competing at the time. 

39 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He did. Must have missed that, are you referring to this?

This?

To be honest I have absolutely no problems with what he has said, he wants to play for Arsenal. A team better than us that were consistently in the champions league and competing at the time. 

I was only disputing `his home'. That article only reinforces my point.

But we both know that for decades now players have considered us to be a stepping stone, and I have no problem with that.

5 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Thats a little unfair. Before his injuries he looked decent.  That he had 2 bad injuries while at villa was unfortunate.  Doesnt mean he couldnt have made it without them.

Can you point out where I said that? :huh:

• Like 1

On 2017-11-28 at 22:41, Adbo9 said:

Not striker related; but my mate Up Swansea reckons we’re trying to get Ki from the in January.........

I remember when we wanted to sign him two or three years ago. He wanted about 80k per week or something ridiculous. 

I don't think it matters what position the player plays in, in the fact I think it should be more about the type of person we bring in. 

Surely there is one player in the Premier League right now that isn't getting game time who would be up for a loan, has been in a team that has been promoted from the championship, is up for the fight. 

As long as it isn't another right back then we could do with another player that on experience and character alone can be useful in the run home. 

Possibly shift Thor on and in bring a proper left sided player. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I don't think it matters what position the player plays in, in the fact I think it should be more about the type of person we bring in. 

Surely there is one player in the Premier League right now that isn't getting game time who would be up for a loan, has been in a team that has been promoted from the championship, is up for the fight. 

As long as it isn't another right back then we could do with another player that on experience and character alone can be useful in the run home. 

Possibly shift Thor on and in bring a proper left sided player. 

Definitely, it is a world cup year after all. Players like Wilshire need to go out and get game time, it' just a question of if the championship fits the criteria for them.

Aston Villa transfer rumour: Club leading race for talented young winger and 'unbelievable athlete'

Reports suggest that Aston Villa are leading a pack of clubs interested in signing talented young forward

By

Steve Wollaston

Aston Villa are reportedly leading the chase for one of Irish football's brightest talents.

Nigerian born Chiedozie Ogbene plays for Limerick and has attracted the attention of a number of English clubs.

The Irish Examiner reports that Villa and Chelsea are two of the clubs leading the race for his signature.

The 20-year-old has been on trial in England at various clubs and the paper reports that Villa's interest in the winger is 'concrete'.

He is under contracted at Limerick for another year.

Dean Clarke is a team-mate of Ogbene, and explains why he is so highly-rated.

He states: "Chiedozie, give him the ball in his own half and next thing you know you’ve a free-kick on the edge of their box. He’s an unbelievable athlete.

“I think he’s going to go a long way because of his mentality and how he looks after himself. He definitely has something about him.

“He’s definitely getting there and if you’re a defender playing against him, you’re going to know all about him.”

Click

Never heard of him, anyone know anything about him?