• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

As there is not too many obvious free agents available the next manager is probably going to either be someone terrible like Pardew  or someone from leftfield.

If left field I'd like it to be someone like Jacob Michelsen, 36 year old with a similar profile to AVB/Neil Clement(never played just coached from a young age. He finished 2nd in the Danish league the season before last with absolute minnows SonderjyskE before leaving to go to Hammarby where he is disappointing this season to be fair. He does do tactics though.

Glen Riddersholm is another, won the league with Midtjylland(same owner as Brentford, brilliantly run clubs, Tony should learn from them) a couple of years ago and was one of the best managerial prospects in Europe at the time before maving to AGF and doing an average job, would be worth the risk still.

Michael O'Neill is someone I rate highly too and am amazed hasen't been snapped up by a championship club yet, would be worth interviewing.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

From the lower leagues I wouldn't mind Danny Cowley from Lincoln.

Clearly someone who has a bright future ahead of him - would it be fair to put him in charge of this juggernaut we know as Aston Villa ? 

Blimey we have ruined Lambert - I would not wish to do this to another young man so early into their career

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

In reality there is no one realistically available to us to make us jump.   Out of that list i would choose Bruce to stay on TBH!

Very much this ^^^.  I have seen Rafa Benitez suggested because he's a big enough name to handle it. I think that sums up our problems.  Bruce is part of the problem with his negative mindset, he could be part of the solution too IF he can get the players to respond against Reading.  Quick fixes aren't working so whoever is in charge needs time...

Edited by Darth Villa

The only ones i would pick would simply not come here but i would be surprised if any on that list could get us challenging again. Now there are no funds to burn either but then clearly it's more about knowledge of how to build a team capable than it is buying big money players who have done well in some other teams system at some point.

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Please may I ask why you feel this is unrealistic ?

They finished mid table in the Premier League last season, they seem to have stabilized themselves in the division. Eddie Howe clearly loves the club and has the respect of the fans. 

In the grand scheme of things we're obviously a much bigger club historically but otherwise it's hard to see why he'd leave to come to us.

Bruce has to change or we change him. He had a chance to shape the squad and playing style, he hasn't. Yesterday looked like one of our relegation performances. We fell behind early on last season and never made the gap up. I'd go for smith, purely because he can change a team mid game. This suggests that he realises football can be played in multiple ways. Unlike Bruce. 

The more I look at that list, the more I feel like a desperate man in a ropey nightclub, looking at a group of ugly birds, reluctantly trying to work out which one will be the best port in a storm. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, wazzap24 said:

The more I look at that list, the more I feel like a desperate man in a ropey nightclub, looking at a group of ugly birds, reluctantly trying to work out which one will be the best port in a storm. 

Thankfully that list is just a random selection of managerial names.

No reason we should limit ourselves to that bunch.

Looking back. it would have been nice if we had started last Summer with a young progressive manager and gave him a modest budget and a two year plan of getting us promoted he perhaps could have built something here.

The last two appointments now appear to have been rushed.  Two managers brought in for two different reason and now we are inevitably on to our third manager under one year. 

Edited by Reivax_Villa

Someone said earlier that he would like Eddie Howe to be the next Villa manager. Someone else said it was an unrealistic suggestion, but is that the case in modern day football?

Eddie, would you come and manage Villa for £2 million quid a year? .... No.

Eddie, would you come and manage Villa for £5 million quid a year? .... erm, I'll have to think about it.

Eddie, would you come and manage Villa for £5 million quid a year, and a £5 million tax paid bonus if you get us promoted? .... Where do I sign?

Principles only take you so far in today's football environment, money is king!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Thankfully that list is just a random selection of managerial names.

No reason we should limit ourselves to that bunch.

I know, it's still depressing that we are potentially here again though. 

There's not one name that's inspired me in this thread and even those that I think might be half decent (Howe, Rodgers) aren't realistically obtainable imo. 

I'm bored of it, bored of thinking the next one might be the right one, then going through the whole crappy cycle all over again. Gotta get it right one day I suppose. 

Jokanovic.   Has already worked under two crackpot regimes and has secured automatic promotion and a play-off spot in less than favourable conditions. 

Plus he doesn't sound like a happy camper at present. 

The bulk of the names in that list above are just dispiriting. 

• Like 3