• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

I doubt Wyness or Round would risk Moyes. He's on a downward curve and the obvious link to him would be seen as a job for an old pal rather than an imaginative, progressive appointment. All eyes are on them as we search for the next great hope. 

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

Someone said earlier that he would like Eddie Howe to be the next Villa manager. Someone else said it was an unrealistic suggestion, but is that the case in modern day football?

Eddie, would you come and manage Villa for £2 million quid a year? .... No.

Eddie, would you come and manage Villa for £5 million quid a year? .... erm, I'll have to think about it.

Eddie, would you come and manage Villa for £5 million quid a year, and a £5 million tax paid bonus if you get us promoted? .... Where do I sign?

Principles only take you so far in today's football environment, money is king!

So now lets apply this philosophy to Rafa Benithez and sorted.

He has done it all.

• Like 1

If it were to be Jokanovic he would have to be appointed immediately. His system relies on two very quick wing backs and Cairney running midfield. Frederick and Malone tore our full backs apart last season. He would need time to sign similar key players before the transfer window closes. 

Eddie Howe reminds me of Moyes, done very well with pretty much one club (ignoring Preston) where he is total control.

EH would need to move to be recognised as a great coach and put his name in the hat for England.  

Jakanovic already has that pedigree in more than one country.  The question is, would Dean Smith be a modern day John Gregory? Don't underestimate the power of being a fan, I think Dean Smith would see Villa as the high point of his career and give us everything!

Edited by macandally

6 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

If it were to be Jokanovic he would have to be appointed immediately. His system relies on two very quick wing backs and Cairney running midfield. Frederick and Malone tore our full backs apart last season. He would need time to sign similar key players before the transfer window closes. 

I'm sure he'd be able to conjure up a new system with the squad we have.

19 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

Jokanovic.   Has already worked under two crackpot regimes and has secured automatic promotion and a play-off spot in less than favourable conditions. 

Plus he doesn't sound like a happy camper at present. 

The bulk of the names in that list above are just dispiriting. 

I think we need Proven at this level now, no more unknowns.

Have we not been through enough of pray and hope = disaster, in the last 5 years?

18 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

So now lets apply this philosophy to Rafa Benithez and sorted.

He has done it all.

When we've done that, let's then work out how we pay off Bruce and his staff, pay the compensation to get him, then the £5m in wages and the money for his backroom team? Oh and he's not happy up there because he's got no dough to spend :crylaugh:

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

Someone said earlier that he would like Eddie Howe to be the next Villa manager. Someone else said it was an unrealistic suggestion, but is that the case in modern day football?

Eddie, would you come and manage Villa for £2 million quid a year? .... No.

Eddie, would you come and manage Villa for £5 million quid a year? .... erm, I'll have to think about it.

Eddie, would you come and manage Villa for £5 million quid a year, and a £5 million tax paid bonus if you get us promoted? .... Where do I sign?

Principles only take you so far in today's football environment, money is king!

maybe but Eddie Howe left Burnley after about 8 months due to homesickness

There is a big risk factor with taking the job at Villa, we can't assume some of these names being mentioned would even want it. Or that we can afford them.

We've been a bit of a managerial graveyard recently, if Bruce goes early doors, it will be the third season in a row we've binned a manager before the clocks go back! 

2+1/2 weeks of the window left, not much budget to play with (if any depending on the cost of hiring and firing). Promotion expected. 

Personally, I think we've got the players 100%, but you'd need some balls to take it. I'm not sure I'd uproot my family from abroad for it though. Mind you, there's a fair chance you'd be home by Xmas with a lovely little bonus in your back pocket. 

7 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

There is a big risk factor with taking the job at Villa, we can't assume some of these names being mentioned would even want it. Or that we can afford them.

We've been a bit of a managerial graveyard recently, if Bruce goes early doors, it will be the third season in a row we've binned a manager before the clocks go back! 

2+1/2 weeks of the window left, not much budget to play with (if any depending on the cost of hiring and firing). Promotion expected. 

That's one way of looking at it. 

Another way of looking at it is if you do fail, it is easy to spin it that you were working at a basketcase club and sure what else could be done under the circumstances. 

If you are young enough, if it is your only blemish and if you have the stones to take another big job, it doesn't have to effectively end your career. 

Conversely- if it is your only major blemish to date but you have shown such ineptitude/ naivety on the job so as to not even be considered for other similar posts - that's on you. 

Edited by HolteExile