• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

Not saying Allardyce is the answer but I don't believe this retired rubbish. 

He had some kind of falling out at Palace and left saying he's retired. He's still got years in him as a manager yet. He's had a few months out of the game now and I am sure would come back if offered the right job. Aston Villa would definitely fit the bill for him. 

I think now is the time to take a punt. We've tried the 'knows the league has been promoted 4 times' route, we've tried 'this guy won the champions league' route.

I want a guy who has shown real promise from an individual match perspective. Someone who knows how to nullify threats and take advantage of the oppositions shortcomings. Someone who knows how to transition up the pitch and get the ball into positions where strikers have a real chance of finishing and not feeding off scraps. Someone who will drop perpetual poor performers and give the chance to young players without being scared that they may not be ready or have the experience. Someone with B, C and D game plans. Someone who will make early changes to a game before the inevitable happens. Someone who isn't afraid to take the game to the opposition even if it means lost points here and there.

When was the last time we lost a game because we were attacking too much? We're the most passive team tactically I've ever seen in the championship. Not knowing what to do and no invention from free kicks, almost always losing the ball from throw ins because there appears to be no plan, the painfully slow build up, the easy ball out to our worst player who will carry it to the opposite corner flag unchallenged and lose it, the aimless hopeful crossing. half hearted counter attacking. We NEVER roll the dice. The players have to take some responsibility but they need a manager to snap them out if it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NottingVilla said:

These ex international managers seem to do well used to pressure. Or managers that have won stuff at perceived lesser European leagues. Expectancy/pressure.

Karanka would probably be the most likely appointment if/when the sacking happens, if I was a betting man. Not my choice, but quite a easy/ logical one for the club.

Out of interest, and REALISTICALLY bearing in kind we are a championship club, who would be your choice? You seem to have heard of/know nuno and slutsky and I'm thinking we should go down this route because **** it nothing else works.

Murat Yakin is at FC Schaffhausen in Switzerland.

I've wanted him here for years.

Has a 2.27 points per game  after 22 games with them.

Sure we could price him away from there, only has a year left on his contract from what I can see.

Would effing perfect!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sne said:

Sure we could price him away from there, only has a year left on his contract from what I can see.

Would effing perfect!

wanted Yakin for years as well and have suggested him last few times we was looking for managers but will Tony and his board room have even heard of him :)

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

A few weeks ago Wymess was talking about how Steve Round is putting in a "Villa Way" of playing and coming up with a philosophy that runs through the club. At the time when I read it I thought how can we achieve that with Bruce at the helm? If and when SB gone we need someone who is from a background where the philosophy of play is as important and has the ability to use multiple tactics during a match. Don't know much about him but this Fulham manager sounds good, plays the right way and experienced in the Championship. Alternatively don't worry about the Championshop experience and look around Europe for either a manger at a smaller successful club or maybe an assistant from some of the bigger clubs like Norwich have done with their new guy from Dortmund. Get it done Tone

16 minutes ago, sne said:

Would effing perfect!

A quick look at his wiki has me asking 1 question... why did he leave Basel and spartak Moscow?

59 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I think now is the time to take a punt. We've tried the 'knows the league has been promoted 4 times' route, we've tried 'this guy won the champions league' route.

I want a guy who has shown real promise from an individual match perspective. Someone who knows how to nullify threats and take advantage of the oppositions shortcomings. Someone who knows how to transition up the pitch and get the ball into positions where strikers have a real chance of finishing and not feeding off scraps. Someone who will drop perpetual poor performers and give the chance to young players without being scared that they may not be ready or have the experience. Someone with B, C and D game plans. Someone who will make early changes to a game before the inevitable happens. Someone who isn't afraid to take the game to the opposition even if it means lost points here and there.

When was the last time we lost a game because we were attacking too much? We're the most passive team tactically I've ever seen in the championship. Not knowing what to do and no invention from free kicks, almost always losing the ball from throw ins because there appears to be no plan, the painfully slow build up, the easy ball out to our worst player who will carry it to the opposite corner flag unchallenged and lose it, the aimless hopeful crossing. half hearted counter attacking. We NEVER roll the dice. The players have to take some responsibility but they need a manager to snap them out if it.

Such as?

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

Someone who doesn't pull every player back into the box for a corner! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

Out of interest, and REALISTICALLY bearing in kind we are a championship club, who would be your choice? You seem to have heard of/know nuno and slutsky and I'm thinking we should go down this route because **** it nothing else works.

I would have to research the availability of managers which I don't have the time to do atm.

But yes, I believe we should go with this criteria. I was alarmed with the "Championship experience" criteria set previously by the dinosaurs at the top. It's just so short-sighted. 

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think it's a big job still that people want. I also think a large portion would see it as a poisoned chalice and it's a no win situation because it's promotion or failure and if you are promoted it was expected anyway.

i think this myth that fans will give youth time is nonsense, if results stayed the same fans would be on players backs just like now. Fans would criticise the board for not spending money and kids would be disheartened more so than established players. Younger fans want to see clubs spending, want to see named players come to their club.

Integrating youngsters should be one of the club's long term objectives regardless.  I am not necessarily saying start eleven youth team players week in & out, but say about 2-4 to give us better balance and allow them to develop. Would we have been worse off yesterday if O'Hare/Green/Bree had started against Cardiff? Personally, I don't.  Open and attacking football will have the fans back at VP, even Sherwood managed to achieve that for a short period of time. We have a squad of players capable of scoring and creating, we now need a system.

It will also be important to develop our own players given the ludicrous transfer market and FFP.  Besides we have spent big money on in-coming transfers, which has left us looking more and more disjointed but overly reliant on a select few performers (Jedinak/Kodjia). And not to mention, unsuccessful (so far).

I personally think spending big is having less impact on constructing teams, look at Burnley/Huddersfield. Both clubs have embraced a modern ethos and followed it through with great success. We desperately need to get the buzz back at Villa, with Bruce or not. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Jokanovic for me, but realistically I just want someone who is going to bully this league. Rafa went on the front foot every game on the basis that whoever he was playing was not as big a club as Newcastle.  In fairness RDM has the same idea but our inability to see out a game cost him his job.  I would take Allardyce or Pardue also as we need to get up and stay up, with some form of system.

Bruce irritates me by the respect he gives any opposition, the way he bigs them up pregame and the way we are set up to grind out a result.  We are NOT Hull or Blues, we are Villa FFS!!!!

Football is not a complex game, there are kids of different systems and styles of play to score and win games, through the thirds, wingers and target man, going direct front to back and playing off the front man, having two "quicks" to put teams on the back foot.  I can genuinely say Bruce has singularly failed to decide how he wants to play and therefore, our team is a team of names rather than players to suit a system, and we are as disjointed as any team I have ever see .  It is shockingly bad and we look like a sunday league team after a wedding the night before.

Edited by macandally
  • Like 1

The FSW could be available in a few weeks...... ;) knows the league has promotion under his belt... all joking aside (sort of) Yakin would be a yes from me. Stam is my 1st choice. Left field shout of Bergkamp ? 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Someone who doesn't pull every player back into the box for a corner! 

Of all the things that villa do that annoy me. Inability to take throw ins, passing sideways etc. this is the one which really sets the tone of sitting deeper, game after game. You leave 2 up, they leave 3 back simple. 

Aston Villa are like the England national team. We've tried young managers, old, experienced, inexperienced, British, foreign everything. Yet nothing works and we are still uniformly shite.

To answer the OPs question, I dont know. I dont think it will make any difference and tbh, its genuinely hard to give a **** atm.

• Like 2