• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Think back to O'Neill, we had issues when he arrived not dissimilar to those Bruce is alluding to, well O'Neill set the tone. He set the standards and people met them or they bloody knew it, he didn't offer excuses to anyone. It didn't take him 10 months before seeing 'gimpses' of improvement. Martin O'Neill had tactics, limited though they were, he had a way he wanted to play and it was effective (to a point) because everyone knew what it was and were signed to fit it. But Bruce isn't really into tactics.

I remember vividly the impact MON had on Villa when he first joined our club.  Hundreds of fans queuing outside villa park trying to get a glimpse of him, he was hailed the messiah before he began working!

The first game against Arsenal, we looked so good, we saw the effect he had on us so shortly and he set us up accordingly with our counter attacking football. The following window he brought Ashley Young, one of the finest players to ever don the claret and blue shirt of this generation. 

Those memories give me hope that there is a manager out there can have this sort of impact at this club for the short and long term. The key is finding someone to fill that void.  

MON came from Celtic to Villa, one big club to another.  Just like Newcastle,  Just like Liverpool, You have to be cut from a certain cloth to be able to manage Aston Villa and the expectation. 

Not any manager can walk into this club without already managing a big club. 

Edited by Reivax_Villa
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair, Sam is older, but he was actually one of the first to push for innovation and technology when it comes to football, and players.

I used to watch his Bolton teams mostly because of Ricardo Gardener at first.

So even if he is a "Dinosaur", he is more of an evolved one. lol

I've never disliked him, but never necessarily wanted him as manager either, such is our fall from Grace though, he might almost be a coup at this point. smh

I don't want Sam.  But I really wish I had a gif of an evolved dinosaur!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tomav84 said:

would we be even discussing dean smith if he wasn't a villa fan? they've had a poor start and wasn't overly convinced about them last season

moyes no, just no...

trouble seems to follow pearson around

little has been out of the game too long

terry inexperienced

if we cant get the chap from fulham, i say we stick with bruce

Not sure how you can't be convinced by Brentford last season, they caned us 3-0 at their place. I was there and it was an embarrassment. I was lucky enough to be with in the Directors box just behind Brian Little and Ian Taylor (Who was bigger than I thought he was), and they were not happy bunnies. 

In addition, they finished 10th and we finished 13th after selling us their top goal scorer. I guarantee they will finish above us this season.

Before moving to the US and went to watch Walsall whenever the Villa weren't playing. They were a good footballing team. Dean Smith took them to Wembley for the first time in their history on no budget, and has taken Brentford to top 10 finishes in both seasons he's been there on a limited budget.

He likes on the ground, fast paced, attacking football and is not afraid to use the yougsters. He took Ricoh Henry (Enland Youth Left Back) from Walsall to Brentford for about a million and he now starts every game. 

Imagine what he could do with Villa's resources.

5 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I remember vividly the impact MON had on Villa when he first joined our club.  Hundreds of fans queuing outside villa park trying to get a glimpse of him, he was hailed the messiah before he began working!

The first game against Arsenal, we looked so good, we saw the effect he had on us so shortly and he set us up accordingly with our counter attacking football. The following window he brought Ashley Young, one of the finest players to ever don the claret and blue shirt of this generation. 

Those memories give me hope that there is a manager out there can have this sort of impact at this club for the short and long term. The key is finding someone to fill that void.  

MON came from Celtic to Villa, one big club to another.  Just like Newcastle,  Just like Liverpool, You have to be cut from a certain cloth to be able to manage Aston Villa and the expectation. 

Not any manager can walk into this club without already managing a big club. 

Bring back O'Neill?

I for one don't think there has ever been a better time within the last 5 years to come and manage us and that is based on the owner and the squad. 

Any manager worth their salt would love to come here just to manage this squad and see what they could get out of it, its only because of Bruce's lack of modern footballing managerial intelligence that our players look like inept fools. We have an excellent squad currently, with so much potential and ways of playing. If we got someone in who just new and understood the basics, has a plan and a defined style, dynamic and adaptable tactics and showed attacking tendencies when required then we would piss this league.

I like Bruce but his time has been and gone years ago, he openly admits he doesn't know what to do with us, I mean ffs he said he "doesn't really do tactics". What the actual ****. 

I'd take Puel or Smith based just on that list but I'd want someone more successful and suitable tbh. May be too soon for Smith but what the hell, it can't be any worse than McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, Garde, Black, RDM or Bruce.

All I know is, a few days ago I was willing to give Bruce another 5 or so games, but his comments since the Cardiff game have just alienated the fanbase and probably the players too to the point where I want him gone asap. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

it can't be any worse than McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, Garde, Black, RDM or Bruce.

"It can't be any worse than..." is what we've said with every new manager since McLeish. And it almost always is worse.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

"It can't be any worse than..." is what we've said with every new manager since McLeish. And it almost always is worse.

Depends on who you ask. Lambert was better than McLeish initially. Garde was unfortunate but imo WAS an improvement over Sherwood and Bruce was better than Black & RDM. 

Circumstances are important.

My two pence:

Marcel Keizer from Ajax

Philip Cocu from PSV

Marko Van Basten - currently works for FIFA

All the above three managers know how to play with exceedingly young squads, plays attacking football and are deeply respected in Europe. 

I'd rather not have another old plonker from the UK that knows little to nothing besides hoofing the ball over our midfield every time we have it.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

My two pence:

Marcel Keizer from Ajax

Philip Cocu from PSV

Marko Van Basten - currently works for FIFA

All the above three managers know how to play with exceedingly young squads, plays attacking football and are deeply respected in Europe. 

I'd rather not have another old plonker from the UK that knows little to nothing besides hoofing the ball over our midfield every time we have it.

I think this is exactly the sort we will get. I fully expect another Steve Bruce type. 

• Like 1

Has to be Slaviša Jokanović.  It's a no brainer!

• Got Watford promoted.
  • Has turned Fulham around from relegation candidates to playoff contenders
  • Plays exciting football
  • Isn't entirely happy at Fulham
  • Has a beard

Let's stop wasting millions on has been strikers or Premier League journeymen, and instead pay whatever it takes to get him in.  I really think, with the money available to him once we're back in the top league, he could be the next great Aston Villa manager.  

Stick an offer in, turn his head... plus it'd screw Fulham over in the process and we owe them one for selling us that dud McCormack!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Claude Puel would be a great shout IMO. Not sure he'd step down to this level though.

If we got the right man who can get us out of this lge it is only 9 months and he will still be in the prem with us once we go up to really kick on and we stick with him.

Our next appointment needs to be the man who has nous and will be given 5 years to work his magic.

Puel or Benithez for him are the only pair I would give 5 years to for this 'dynasty' to take effect.

24 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Claude Puel would be a great shout IMO. Not sure he'd step down to this level though.

Thats why I put him there, he hasn't been talked about and he was very good at saints. I think he could be a excellent appointment 

21 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

If we got the right man who can get us out of this lge it is only 9 months and he will still be in the prem with us once we go up to really kick on and we stick with him.

Our next appointment needs to be the man who has nous and will be given 5 years to work his magic.

Puel or Benithez for him are the only pair I would give 5 years to for this 'dynasty' to take effect.

If Rafa leaves Newcastle I would be delighted with him here