Glenn Whelan

Jareth

He's been poor in games more than he has been good in games.  He's the type of player you have in your team when you are fighting a relegation battle not trying to get 2 points a game. We need someone more dynamic in there.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, omariqy said:

He's been poor in games more than he has been good in games.  He's the type of player you have in your team when you are fighting a relegation battle not trying to get 2 points a game. We need someone more dynamic in there.

Exactly!

For all his hit and miss performances and sometimes questionable desire to be here I rather we played Onomah than Whelan in CM.

That would also make room for Grealish to play at AMC.

Whelan can come on when we need someone to chase the opponents for the last 20 mins or so.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

:crylaugh:

I just don't understand why people are finding it so difficult to fathom this.

It was a backpass to the keeper. he didn't realise the Derby player was there.

What's so hard to understand?

It's a terrible mistake, and he SHOULD have had enough awareness to see the Derby player instead of playing the pass blind. But I don't get why people are finding it so hard to understand.

I dont understand because he was so far away from the keeper he didnt need it was completely unnecessary.  He had players around him with much simpler options.

It made absolutely zero sense 

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

The trouble with this stat is you are comparing apples with bananas.

Whelan makes 5-10 yard passes usually sideways or back to the keeper. Hourihane is the more creative of the 2 so he tries forward passes and throughballs which are more likely to get intercepted. So when a Whelan pass fails it stands out more as it is a much simpler pass.

This isnt a dig at Whelan, as he isnt in the team to create chances, but if both he and Hourihane were always just passing sideways and backwards then we wouldnt get anywhere. 

These kind of stats can be easily misguided without looking at the bigger picture. If looking at stats alone, players like Westwood and Cleverly would make you believe they are the best central midfield pairing in the world due to their passing completion, but in reality they would create no chances between them.

I agree that it's not that right to compare them, I was just providing stats to contradict the claims that Whelan gives the ball away a lot - he doesn't. 

Bad mistake against Derby, mind. 

He’s a soft option player. Always looking for the safe no risk pass. He thought a pass to the keeper would be easier than trying to create some forward momentum.It blew up in his face big time. He really isn’t very good, a player well past his sell by date. God knows what Bruce was thinking when he bought him.

On 12/17/2017 at 12:47, Demitri_C said:

Because neves is 20x better than whelan than what he does thats why wolvws are where they are and we are where we are.

They dont actually play different roles either. They spend 15m on neves and we spend 12m on McCormack thats why we are stuck here wasted money on garbage like that and tishbola thats why are forced to sign poor players like whelan and watch him make stupid mistakes each week

Neves would also cost about 40 million more in the transfer market. Weird comparison

He doesnt make mistakes every week

31 minutes ago, meregreen said:

He’s a soft option player. Always looking for the safe no risk pass. He thought a pass to the keeper would be easier than trying to create some forward momentum.It blew up in his face big time. He really isn’t very good, a player well past his sell by date. God knows what Bruce was thinking when he bought him.

That is your opinion based on pure speculation as is mine....He may well be passed his sell by date, but that seems where we are at now. I think despite his game being unattractive to watch its effective and essential.....Glenn Whelan is not the problem.

can I offer an explanation too?

He is trying to find an outlet ball, but because we have very few players run intelligently OFF the ball ,who are able to give him one, He makes a monumental **** up in trying to find one.

I have said to many fans at the game.....I would hate to be the one with the ball, because I see very few giving the option.

They are ******* Lazy ( both mentally and physically)when it comes to giving the player on the ball an option.

44 minutes ago, TRO said:

That is your opinion based on pure speculation as is mine....He may well be passed his sell by date, but that seems where we are at now. I think despite his game being unattractive to watch its effective and essential.....Glenn Whelan is not the problem.

He is trying to find an outlet ball, but because we have very few players run intelligently OFF the ball ,who are able to give him one, He makes a monumental **** up in trying to find one.

I have said to many fans at the game.....I would hate to be the one with the ball, because I see very few giving the option.

They are ******* Lazy ( both mentally and physically)when it comes to giving the player on the ball an option.

But this is the exact thing the manager and his coaches should be working on week in and week out. And the thing that should have been hammered in during pre season.

14 months now and we still have no lines, patterns or system in place.

It's disgraceful, what the f**k do they do all week on the training ground?

2 minutes ago, sne said:

But this is the exact thing the manager and his coaches should be working on week in and week out. And the thing that should have been hammered in during pre season.

I agree.

but how do we know, they are not drumming this in to them, but on match day with a team to play in front of them, they fail.

We simply don't know.

I go by what i can see not what i imagine to be the case.

ps If i see Ronnie O'Sullivan playing shite, I have a tendency to blame him not his coach.

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree.

but how do we know, they are not drumming this in to them, but on match day with a team to play in front of them, they fail.

We simply don't know.

I go by what i can see not what i imagine to be the case.

ps If i see Ronnie O'Sullivan playing shite, I have a tendency to blame him not his coach.

No idea who Ronnie O'Sullivan is but I'm sure you're right about him.

I've played and watched enough football to say IMO it's more likely that the manager and his team is failing to to their job rather than 30 professional players who played since they we're kids are all failing to understand the tactics presented to them.

If they are in fact failing to understand the tactic presented to them it must be pretty darn complicated and that doesn't seem like something a manager who "doesn't really do tactics" would create.

Occam's Razor and all that.

Edit OK he plays Snooker

Edited by sne

2 hours ago, meregreen said:

Prob the same thing in some of the other shit he has brought too...

On 18/12/2017 at 20:44, sne said:

I heard all they do is this :

K8CSMi.gif

On 18/12/2017 at 19:56, TRO said:

Maybe the coaches also need questioned too as well as Bruce.

I ask myself, how many teams in the Premier league top 10 brigade would this lot get into.

My answer. None..

They are barely good enough for a team in the top 10 in the championsh.... oh, wait a minute!  :huh:

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

The most negative midfielder I've ever seen at the club, it's like he is allergic to passing the ball forward. He is utter utter crap and we will never go up with him as our cm. crap and shit

He kills our momentum. We go forward, then Whelan makes sure it goes back.

• Like 2

Â