Do You Ever Feel Like Quitting or Taking a Break from the Internet?

maqroll

I hardly use it, apart for work-related stuff.

I pop in here when I'm bored at work but other than that, I check Facebook on a weekly basis and occasionally use it to find new music or movies.

I doubt it'd make much difference to my life.

I'm a contradiction.  Like Mike, I'm an information geek, and I'll be looking stuff up as and when it comes on the TV, always looking for more info on this or that.  It never stops, and I love it because it's interesting.  Or I'll be chatting to mates or posting/reading on here or getting wound up by political or celebrity banality on twitter or facebook.

Yet despite all of that, I'm not one of these people who gets anxious if they leave their phone behind in the house, or if it's about to die.  I actually find that quite liberating.  Knowing I can't be contacted/interrupted.  It's like I'm free or I've briefly 'escaped' the suffocating clutches of the modern world.

I'll have days where I give the net a rest, save for a chat with mates, but I think in my line of work it would be genuinely difficult to avoid the internet whether I wanted to or not .

• Like 3

I only look at my phone a few times a day these days.  I look around on the train every day and there are fit birds left and right but everyone is more interested in Facebook and the like,  that cannot be good can it.  

I ditched Facebook years ago and feel so much better without it.

I think I could manage without the internet in the summer possibly.

• Like 1

Not the internet, but social media. I can spend hours lying in bed before falling asleep on facebook, twitter, instagram and youtube and half the stuff on there just winds me up. I hate myself for it, what an utter waste of time. I'd just like to find a healthy balance I think.

• Like 3

Nope. But then, I don't use facebook, and use twitter and instagram very infrequently. A half hour browse of reddit once an evening is enough of a fill of internet stupidness/quirkyness, I tend to find (although I may spend more time on some of my favourite subs).

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yes, but the disadvantages would outweigh the advantages. 

I'm an information geek. 

I'm with the Moon Man.

I do find it liberating to not be on online ALL the time, so it comes down to a case of moderating your own usage. As with everything really; booze etc.

• Like 2

The Internet might be a distraction from more concentrated and serious work but I dread to imagine what the outcome would be if I was only exposed to the mainstream media.

The Internet might be full of people who are ideologically possessed but suffering the unchallenged brainwashing of the mainstream media would be to swallow the blue pill.

• Like 2

Â