General Election 2017

ender4

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm surprised how close this vote was. 

i'm surprised it was a Tory mayor. The local rag was convinced Labour would win on the 2nd votes, plus haven't Labour run Brum City Council for a while? (may be mistaken)

Tories running riot across the UK, carnage for Labour and game over for UKIP. 

If the right and centre right comes together like this behind May for the GE she'll do very well indeed. 

It's happening! 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Talking of liars...

dianne Abbott on ITN 

"I think the net losses are around 50"

"they're 125"

"well last time I looked they were 100"

:lol: 

I just listened to that.

Absolute space cadet.

39 minutes ago, Xela said:

i'm surprised it was a Tory mayor. The local rag was convinced Labour would win on the 2nd votes, plus haven't Labour run Brum City Council for a while? (may be mistaken)

The local rag doesn't know its arse from its elbow, but you make a fair point about Labour running Brum council. However, I think the combined authority area is much more Tory-leaning than the area covered by Birmingham council alone. When you add in that Street spent somewhere between five and ten times more than his opponent, and that Labour are supposedly being battered from pillar to post, he really should have won by a much more comfortable margin IMO. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Talking of liars...

dianne Abbott on ITN 

"I think the net losses are around 50"

"they're 125"

"well last time I looked they were 100"

:lol: 

Why on earth do they trundle her out?  Unless it's in the forlorn hope of making Steptoe look less inept, they really couldn't pick anybody more stupid.

Androooooooo!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Xela said:

They comfortably won the vote in Birmingham and also won in Sandwell, Coventy and Wolverhampton. Lost in Solihull, Dudley and Walsall.

Diane Abbot has just made a fine piece of work of herself on TV again by not knowing how many seats labour have lost claiming it was only 50. No idea what is wrong with this lady, and how on earth labour thinks they can do anything against SNP, Plaid and the Tories with this sort of lady speaking on their behalf. At the same time Corbyn is saying that it's not all bad because he's won Manchester... -_-

HA! The new Mayor of Tees Valley, who ran his campaign on the fact he was in early talks to buy the local airport, hasn't even spoken to the current owners yet. ******* LOL! He'll make a fine Tory Mayor.

• Like 2

For those wondering why Diane of the Abbotts is still getting airtime, she one of the only ones left who really back their leader. 

A truely painful time but these things go in cycles I just hope the damage isn't too terminal because like them or not the country needs Labour. 

30% turnout in my locale. Of course we have an unwanted general election coming up, but come on. That's actually up 5% on the last local election too.

Politics are so murky that nobody can be bothered any more. How can that be right?

11 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

30% turnout in my locale. Of course we have an unwanted general election coming up, but come on. That's actually up 5% on the last local election too.

Politics are so murky that nobody can be bothered any more. How can that be right?

Yes 7 out of 10 people didn't bother voting. Many of those that did in the local council elections voted for the party that has inflicted huge cuts on those very same councils decimating services. You couldn't make it up.

It is also interesting that those who previously voted UKIP based on being anti establishment are now voting Tory. Again you couldn't make it up.

• Like 1

UKIP was never a protest vote IMO. It was a single issue vote appealing to a not insignificant element of the electorate.

Now, that issue has been won and the Tories have subsumed the rhetoric and policies associated, coupled to a dismal opposition and vast swathes of England fancying the Tories anyway. And apathy.

It'll be worse in a month.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

UKIP was never a protest vote IMO. It was a single issue vote appealing to a not insignificant element of the electorate.

Now, that issue has been won and the Tories have subsumed the rhetoric and policies associated, coupled to a dismal opposition and vast swathes of England fancying the Tories anyway. And apathy.

It'll be worse in a month.

I think you're right. Those that support the left tend to be already quite engaged and I would say more likely to vote in a local election.

The rhetoric from my local labour candidate is the tories are shit, we won't be, here's an indepth look at why the tories are shit with some facts and figures, why won't we be...er...the tories are shit

he also said 25% of the youth in the area live in poverty, that statement is almost as bad as the food bank stuff, it sounds terrible, you have an image of poverty, Kidderminster is rough but it isn't that, officially anyone who earns >£15k a year is classed as bring in poverty 

• Like 1

Ssoooo....if reports are correct, Jeremy Corbyn is at a victory thing in Manchester. Andy Burnham isn't there and the local Labour MP isn't there as she wasn't invited.

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Ssoooo....if reports are correct, Jeremy Corbyn is at a victory thing in Manchester. Andy Burnham isn't there and the local Labour MP isn't there as she wasn't invited.

Is John McDonnell bringing the Hammer & Sickle and Assad flags? Good chance for more great photo ops before the GE.

Apparently Jezbollah has said that Burnham is off, "hard at work for the people of Greater Manchester."  Definitely not in a bar celebrating, as far away from his embarrassing boss as possible.  Certainly not.

Â