General Election 2017

ender4

9 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Which polls? I don't trust them either, I feel they are becoming a bit of a 'fake news' propaganda weapon.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-election-polls-idUSKBN17W001

The YouGov poll for the Sunday Times found that 44 percent were set to back the Conservatives, down from 48 percent last weekend. Support for Labour climbed to 31 percent from 25 percent.

one can only hope, though one definitely doesn't believe that will ever happen. given her media mates will either themselves or have other close friends no doubt have various personal interests in many of those examples that the idea of scrutiny and accountability that might give them a bit of a knock is rather amibitious. 

Nope, suspect we're more likely to get ludicrous histrionics about what Corbyn would bring as leader. 

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

May was a bit of a disaster on Marr. Same time as the polls are showing huge swings to Labour. No wonder she looks panicked.

I don't trust polls though

Indeed. I think I read in the Metro last week (I know, but its free and I get bored on the train to work) that May has got the highest approval rating in a generatio

edit: Found it in the Telegraph, Make of it what you will, but like you, these polls/rating seem to massively vary by the day. After the last GE, Brexit and Trump, I'm struggling to take stock in any poll

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/26/theresa-may-popular-voters-leader-since-late-1970s/

Theresa May is more popular with voters than any leader since the late 1970s, a new poll shows as another reveals Jeremy Corbyn is more unpopular than ever.

Almost two in every three voters (61 per cent) believe Mrs May would make the most capable Prime Minister compared with about one in four (23 per cent) who said Mr Corbyn.

Mrs May’s score of 61 per cent is the highest recorded by the polling company Ipsos Mori since it started asking the question in 1979.

FWIW the polls for Hillary were pretty spot on, with the margin of error, having Hillary winning the popular vote.

Brexit polls being wrong is a myth too. On the other hand, Dutch and French polls were absolutely spot on.

Doubt I'll be voting in this election (I've voted in the last two and the referendum).

What I hate the most atm is any reasonable question directed to any Tory candidate about any number of policy issues and all you get back is "we need strong and stable leadership not a coalition of chaos."

I bet you could ask any of them what they had for Breakfast and you'd get that reply so robotically trained they all are atm. It's very Trump esque imo.

The sad thing is it will work just like it did in 2015 for them.

I also live in Sutton which is one of the safest Tory seats around.

Probably due to me getting older now but I've certainly started to get that hypocrisy bug now regarding general elections that I genuinely didn't in 2010 or 2015.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Doubt I'll be voting in this election (I've voted in the last two and the referendum).

What I hate the most atm is any reasonable question directed to any Tory candidate about any number of policy issues and all you get back is "we need strong and stable leadership not a coalition of chaos."

I bet you could ask any of them what they had for Breakfast and you'd get that reply so robotically trained they all are atm. It's very Trump esque imo.

The sad thing is it will work just like it did in 2015 for them.

I also live in Sutton which is one of the safest Tory seats around.

Probably due to me getting older now but I've certainly started to get that hypocrisy bug now regarding general elections that I genuinely didn't in 2010 or 2015.

I would encourage you to spoil your ballot. 

I think politics is the way it is because we let politicians off the hook. If everyone who didn't vote spoilt their ballot the 'spoilt' party would have a good chance of being the ruling party.

9 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

FWIW the polls for Hillary were pretty spot on, with the margin of error, having Hillary winning the popular vote.

Brexit polls being wrong is a myth too. On the other hand, Dutch and French polls were absolutely spot on.

British polls have a significantly worse track record than those in most other major democracies. 

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Progressive Alliance

Fully agree with this , although it needs to be more than just 2 seats. 

Portilo made an interesting point on This Week , this week .... it was along the lines of progressive alliances are in favour of government spending and the wealthier are invested in government bonds so actually get even wealthier on the back of it 

I'm paraphrasing (badly)  but I think that was the gist of what he said , it's on iPlayer if anyone wants to listen to it 

This is gathering pace

"Mrs May is under investigation by the Property and Ethics group of the Cabinet Office in connection with an alleged failure to declare an enormous conflict of interest on Brexit related to profits of billions of pounds"

https://skwawkbox.org/2017/04/30/theresa-may-under-investigation-re-brexit-profits/

54 minutes ago, darrenm said:

This is gathering pace

"Mrs May is under investigation by the Property and Ethics group of the Cabinet Office in connection with an alleged failure to declare an enormous conflict of interest on Brexit related to profits of billions of pounds"

https://skwawkbox.org/2017/04/30/theresa-may-under-investigation-re-brexit-profits/

I think the  bit where they say "details are sketchy " is the key bit from this  Corbyn propaganda site

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

This is gathering pace

You honestly believe that?  Really?

Anybody know any conservative policies, apart from being *robot* "strong and stable"?

Sorry, but they are making a right fudge of this campaign. They're too scared to face the public unless it's on their terms. They only want to talk about Brexit, but then they don't really want to talk about Brexit policy, they'll just say "strong and stable".

I can almost guarantee that when Labour release their manifesto that almost all floating voters will really like the policies. The policies they've talked about so far are totally what the country needs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Where did I say that?

It was a question, hence the question mark. And "gathering pace" seems to mean the same fantasist being retweeted. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

British polls have a significantly worse track record than those in most other major democracies. 

I have never told the truth in any poll regarding politics.  What do Polls actually achieve ? IMO they are counter productive and cost a lot of money and I fail to see their core purpose.  

I we to look at current polls and think what ? Change a vote based on their polls ?  

Â