General Election 2017

ender4

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

You are so old, it's all about live streaming on Facebook these days. Do keep up.

Facebook is only for people that believe Corbyn is going to be PM  so I assumed I wasn't allowed on it anymore 

• Like 1

On 20/04/2017 at 20:51, saturdaygig said:

Ain't no-one really in charge. The government are just there to give the illusion that there's a 'system'. Really there isn't, we just all do what we do every day. I've seen many governments come and go, if not for the news I wouldn't know the difference.

On 20/04/2017 at 21:28, a m ole said:

Absolutey everything you do every day is affected by the government and the changes they make to the law. I don't think there is any way what you said could be more wrong.

Governments do affect things I do, but only in a marginal way. They impact what I pay for petrol, but not how far I drive or where to. They have a marginal impact on what job I do or how I do it, and a marginal impact on how I spend my leisure time. They’re there to hold society together, and that’s just a confidence thing, like the stock market. As long as we believe it works, it does work.

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Depressing that since Atlee the country has only wver elected 2 labour Prime Ministers. We are a tory nation. 

As a country we talk the talk about being a world policeman, about the need for our big nuclear bombs, about the need to maintain foreign aid and a military dabbling presence in the middle east. We pride ourselves on the NHS, we all want better schools, we want to be seen to be saving 23 kids from Syria and setting up our own justice and trade distinct from the EU. We're a world stage kinda place.

Then somebody offers us the chance that we might personally save 70p and we go and vote for them. Because that 70p could be going towards our next £3.39 coffee.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I agree , on the basis by "country"  you aren't  meaning just  "Tory voters" 

Slightly different from your post but it was embarrassing to see someone actually raise the question on QT last night about our foreign aid and charity begins at home ... the Tory plant they sneaked in at the end got it right even if he wasn't answering the question , if we want to walk the world stage and be a big player then we  ought o act like one and play our part helping the poorer nations ( plus that aid works well as bribes for later when it comes to stealing their oil etc which is clearly what the aid is  actually intended to be )

Yes, I was referring to all of us.
I rarely watch QT any more. Audience is a poor spread of political plants with their loaded question and idiots that think we are ‘literally sinking’.
I’ve previously been asked to be a plant in the audience, as someone that wasn’t known as a councillor or activist I was seen as someone that would get through some basic screening on political bias. Lead me to believe Dimbleby sticks to On Topic whenever he’s on VT. 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I agree , on the basis by "country"  you aren't  meaning just  "Tory voters" 

Slightly different from your post but it was embarrassing to see someone actually raise the question on QT last night about our foreign aid and charity begins at home ... the Tory plant they sneaked in at the end got it right even if he wasn't answering the question , if we want to walk the world stage and be a big player then we  ought o act like one and play our part helping the poorer nations ( plus that aid works well as bribes for later when it comes to stealing their oil etc which is clearly what the aid is  actually intended to be )

It's always irritated me that people can't understand that we aren't going around giving out aid from the goodness of our hearts. It's all to extend power and influence. We'll help you with a few million for that infrastructure project, and I'm sure you'll remember when those contracts come up... We'll pay for that educational institute and then maybe we'll nick some of the bright young things it develops... We'll drop a few coins in the purse of this morally ambiguous supreme leader and I'm sure he'll use that iron fist to help us...We'll help those poor bastards and you words removed won't?! Well I'm sure the world will remember who the nice guys are... Etc etc.

Yet people think we're some pushover nation that can't help but put some cash in every hand reaching out to us, because we're weak and nice. No... It's about helping them, but moreover its about helping us down the line.

There's no such thing as altruism in politics.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

As a country we talk the talk about being a world policeman, about the need for our big nuclear bombs, about the need to maintain foreign aid and a military dabbling presence in the middle east. We pride ourselves on the NHS, we all want better schools, we want to be seen to be saving 23 kids from Syria and setting up our own justice and trade distinct from the EU. We're a world stage kinda place.

Then somebody offers us the chance that we might personally save 70p and we go and vote for them. Because that 70p could be going towards our next £3.39 coffee.

The difficulty with that analysis is that it's true by default. As far as I can remember the top list of things (give or take one or two items to fit prejudice/viewpoint) and the bottom thing - the cheap bribe have been offered by, basically, all party options in all elections. Sure from time to time a party might add or subtract an item from the top list, but by and large they all do it, so we're not left with a choice between utter bastards and a utopian other - we're offered a choice between a different set of bastards.

There's also the small matter of competence. As an example, when all the uprising started happening in Libya from posters on this site to the various politicians from different parties all going "we must do something, we must intervene, we need to stop these nutters doing this killing of innocent people"  - so these people wanted us to be "a world policeman", to have a military that could stop nasty men doing nasty things. Of course later on these politicians, posters, men and women in the street don't want to spend money on weapons or military, they want ot spend money on schools - There's plenty of people who want to be a world policeman when they see kids being gassed or blown up on the news and then a few months later demand something requiring diametrically opposite use of money - take it off the military, spend it on hospitals or stop spending aid on starving people abroad, spend it on British things for British people.

And so most of the politicians offer something claiming to be all things to all people - we'll cut your taxes, we'll help the 23 kids in Syria, we'll support the NHS and Schools and choice and...

It's as much a consequence of our human attention spans and whims as it is of "greed for 70p to spend on coffee". Politicians offer what we tell them we want, filtered through their own views and prejudices, by and large.

Â