General Election 2017

ender4

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Good afternoon at the beer garden?

I believe some people believe in chaos magic being based around belief and really wanting something, so I guess if you were that way inclined you might want to repeat things over and over in the belief it would come true.

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I believe some people believe in chaos magic being based around belief and really wanting something, so I guess if you were that way inclined you might want to repeat things over and over in the belief it would come true.

Only works if you're wearing red shoes.

I'm confused.

The PM told us there is consensus and unity across the land. Yet only achieves 45% in the latest polls.

At best turn out in the election will be at 70%, but could be closer to 50 or 60%. 

That means that at a time of great national unity and a 'coming together', she'll only get her manifesto endorsed by about a third of the electorate. Then happily use that as a blank cheque for the next five years.

It's almost as though she's an opportunist liar. Yet the majority of the media won't call her out on it.

• Like 4

I think 4 extra days off a year is a pretty smart populist policy that may get some floating or 'they're all the same' voters to vote Labour.

It's pretty hollow, but sod it, it's an excellent proposal, who wants less time off?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Awol said:

That's what's happening. 

I don't believe a word of it. It may be what they're sampling but as we know, polls are always/never wrong.

Ridicule this as much as you like, I honestly believe there will be a massive swing. And we'll see in 7 weeks if I'm right or not.

9 hours ago, darrenm said:

I don't believe a word of it. It may be what they're sampling but as we know, polls are always/never wrong.

Unfortunately, in the uk they consistently err towards labour and away from the tories, as was much discussed and analysed in 2015 and to an extent in the EU referendum. If they are doing so again it's going to be carnage, though it's likely perhaps they've been tweaked to correct that. It's also possible they've over-corrected.

i have no idea who will win, no one does, it's all guessing of one sort or another . Obviously the polls say tories will, but who knows?

• Like 1

https://www.schoolcuts.org.uk/#/

Useful website if anyone is interested in the current deficit within schools. My school is currently going through the same thing with 19 members of staff in danger of redundancy.

You can check the schools in your area by searching. Don't do it via the map as some schools don't appear. The estimates are rough but knowing what I know they are very close to the truth.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 2

My home town makes it on another top 10. 10 areas worst-hit by the Tories' housing benefit cut for youngsters (Figures show a 'very rough estimate' by the House of Commons Library of the number of 18-21 year olds on Housing Benefit, with no children and not on incapacity benefits or Income Support as of November 2016):

Birmingham, Ladywood (230)

Hackney North and Stoke Newington (180)

Croydon North (150)

Nottingham East (140)

Birmingham, Erdington (130)

South Swindon (130)

Plymouth, Sutton and Devonport (120)

Middlesbrough (110)

Bristol West (100)

Leeds Central (100)

If only we could get across to the younger electorate, what an opportunity they have for change, if they used their hard fought right to vote. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Are you automatically still registered to vote if you voted in the referendum last year?

As long as you haven't moved house, you should still be on the electoral register and get your polling card through the post. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

My home town makes it on another top 10. 10 areas worst-hit by the Tories' housing benefit cut for youngsters (Figures show a 'very rough estimate' by the House of Commons Library of the number of 18-21 year olds on Housing Benefit, with no children and not on incapacity benefits or Income Support as of November 2016):

Birmingham, Ladywood (230)

Hackney North and Stoke Newington (180)

Croydon North (150)

Nottingham East (140)

Birmingham, Erdington (130)

South Swindon (130)

Plymouth, Sutton and Devonport (120)

Middlesbrough (110)

Bristol West (100)

Leeds Central (100)

If only we could get across to the younger electorate, what an opportunity they have for change, if they used their hard fought right to vote. 

I hope they don't vote Labour either. The architects of many Tory policies.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

https://www.schoolcuts.org.uk/#/

Useful website if anyone is interested in the current deficit within schools. My school is currently going through the same thing with 19 members of staff in danger of redundancy.

You can check the schools in your area by searching. Don't do it via the map as some schools don't appear. The estimates are rough but knowing what I know they are very close to the truth.

Useful but sadly not that accurate.

One school I know has a budget cut of 5 teachers/15% (according to that site).
Speaking to the Head who runs it they are actually in surplus next year and need extra staff; which they can afford.

I'll try and find out the impact on the other two schools they manage/have managed.

15 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

I think 4 extra days off a year is a pretty smart populist policy that may get some floating or 'they're all the same' voters to vote Labour.

It's pretty hollow, but sod it, it's an excellent proposal, who wants less time off?

Dunno, I had a quick scoot across a BBC comments section and it was loads of "who's going to pay for it" yadda yadda. 

A lot of people are truly lost.  Conditioned to work, make money for somebody else and then die.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Dunno, I had a quick scoot across a BBC comments section and it was loads of "who's going to pay for it" yadda yadda. 

A lot of people are truly lost.  Conditioned to work, make money for somebody else and then die.

For every limited thinker there's plenty who don't comment and think it's a good idea.

Yeah it's just disheartening that for any idea put forward offering a genuinely better existence for people the Tories say it's unsustainable and people buy it.  God forbid the CEO of Deloitte might have to wait and extra week to buy his gold encrusted toilet seat.

The Germans have far more time off than us and their economy seems okay.

1 hour ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

Useful but sadly not that accurate.

One school I know has a budget cut of 5 teachers/15% (according to that site).
Speaking to the Head who runs it they are actually in surplus next year and need extra staff; which they can afford.

I'll try and find out the impact on the other two schools they manage/have managed.

As i said the estimates are rough. I'd imagine in some areas they are more accurate but the point still remains that the education budgets aren't going to cut it. Whilst they may have overestimated the budget of one school i'm sure they've underestimated many others, like mine.

20 hours ago, darrenm said:

He really isn't. He's had a fantastic few days campaigning, introduced loads of popular new policies and people are really starting to get behind him. Like I say, it's happening.

I have to say that is just about THE funniest thing I've read on here.  "It's happening," indeed, good grief. 

3 hours ago, darrenm said:

For every limited thinker there's plenty who don't comment and think it's a good idea.

are you one of them ?

I could sorta understand having a public holiday like Thatcher day  , Cromwell day , people that shaped this country for the better , something we can all celebrate and be proud of  , but St Patrick's day ...do me a favour .. we have more Poles living here than Irish ... and Indians  for that matter  ...

Â