General Election 2017

ender4

12 minutes ago, djdabush said:

Current Labour are all over the place...

Probably worth pointing out that the UK hasn't voted in a non-Blair Labour government for over 40 years. Sadly if you are expecting anything other than a tory rout then I think you are going to be very disappointed.

Current Labour are where the leader puts them. The policies are Corbyn policies, and they're left libertarian. He's had 2 leadership mandates with an increased share. 

I can see a real tide turning. There's definitely going to be a few shocked people. A 140,000 strong poll puts Corbyn way ahead of May in popularity. Translating that into winning seats is more difficult but not impossible. May has severely miscalculated this one.

http://www.itv.com/thismorning/hot-topics/poll-who-do-you-want-to-be-the-next-prime-minister#_=_

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Current Labour are where the leader puts them. The policies are Corbyn policies, and they're left libertarian. He's had 2 leadership mandates with an increased share. 

I can see a real tide turning. There's definitely going to be a few shocked people. A 140,000 strong poll puts Corbyn way ahead of May in popularity. Translating that into winning seats is more difficult but not impossible. May has severely miscalculated this one.

http://www.itv.com/thismorning/hot-topics/poll-who-do-you-want-to-be-the-next-prime-minister#_=_

I'm sorry but that's pretty much the least scientific poll you can find. In fact you can find a different article on the ITV site from less than a week ago which has a poll in which he has a 14% approval rating.  I hope you are right incidentally, but I am very doubtful.

You're seeing things you want to see IMO I'm sorry to say.

May will waltz home. Everyone knows it. Labour are a mess, whether you like Corbyn or not. Vast swathes of his party has knives sharpened for him and openly on show. How can you vote for a party whose very MPs are bidding their time to overthrow their leader? Who vary from clearly hostile to cutely non-commital about the face of their party? He had the stench of death around him. He betrayed feelings on Brexit. He has troubling positions for some. He has some student politics that strike many as less than pragmatic. 

And so on. I don't dislike Corbyn and I prefer many of his policies to those of any alternative. But i can see he's not going to win here and it's clear as day. I won't deny he may take a few seats but I expect losses as well. Win? Not a chance. Never. At all. Labour will lose this election handily. And it's been clear from the second May lied again.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, djdabush said:

I'm sorry but that's pretty much the least scientific poll you can find. In fact you can find a different article on the ITV site from less than a week ago which has a poll in which he has a 14% approval rating.  I hope you are right incidentally, but I am very doubtful.

Which shows the huge surge in popularity in the last week surely? 

I know it's a crap poll. But it's not worth nothing. Tory voters can vote on it too. May is getting slaughtered on social media for her refusal to speak to the press, refusal to take part in debates, lockdown of the GSK workers, being chased out of Bolton, she's getting pelters.

Like I say, modern politics is based on the extremely short attention span of the average voter.

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

You're seeing things you want to see IMO I'm sorry to say.

May will waltz home. Everyone knows it. Labour are a mess, whether you like Corbyn or not. Vast swathes of his party has knives sharpened for him and openly on show. How can you vote for a party whose very MPs are bidding their time to overthrow their leader? Who vary from clearly hostile to cutely non-commital about the face of their party? He had the stench of death around him. He betrayed feelings on Brexit. He has troubling positions for some. He has some student politics that strike many as less than pragmatic. 

And so on. I don't dislike Corbyn and I prefer many of his policies to those of any alternative. But i can see he's not going to win here and it's clear as day. I won't deny he may take a few seats but I expect losses as well. Win? Not a chance. Never. At all. Labour will lose this election handily. And it's been clear from the second May lied again.

I'm sorry you feel that way but I completely disagree. I think you've been reading too many right wing papers. But hey, we'll see in 7 weeks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I'm sorry you feel that way but I completely disagree. I think you've been reading too many right wing papers. But hey, we'll see in 7 weeks.

That's the thing.

I don't read any.

I'd be happier with Corbyn in Number 10 than May (I'd be happier with an iguana in Downing Street). But it's mindbogglingly obvious he won't be.

I certainly wouldn't put any money on it if i were you.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I don't dislike Corbyn and I prefer many of his policies to those of any alternative. 

Maybe you should give the credit to others that you are giving yourself mate. You've looked at the candidates and you prefer many of his policies to those of the alternatives. There may be many others who have come/will come to the same conclusion.

For what it is worth I don't think Labour will win. Certainly next to no chance of them winning an overall majority. I am though hopeful that it won't be the landslide many are predicting and if the Tories were to gain less than another 30 seats they would have to consider that a miscalculation in calling the election.

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Maybe you should give the credit to others that you are giving yourself mate. You've looked at the candidates and you prefer many of his policies to those of the alternatives. There may be many others who have come/will come to the same conclusion.

For what it is worth I don't think Labour will win. Certainly next to no chance of them winning an overall majority. I am though hopeful that it won't be the landslide many are predicting and if the Tories were to gain less than another 30 seats they would have to consider that a miscalculation in calling the election.

I'm not giving myself credit. I like some of his stances, moreover May is a lying walking embodiment of despair, and Farron a clearing in the woods leading a party who are completely untrustworthy and near irrelevant anyway. It's the old choosing between STDs.

There's not enough people who will vote for Corbyn - and I'm not voting Labour either. My seat will be won by Labour, but I cant support them as discussed, and everyone else is varying degrees of wasted or soul tainting. I'm spoiling, as usual.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'm not giving myself credit. I like some of his stances, moreover May is a lying walking embodiment of despair, and Farron a clearing in the woods leading a party who are completely untrustworthy and near irrelevant anyway. It's the old choosing between STDs.

There's not enough people who will vote for Corbyn - and I'm not voting Labour either. My seat will be won by Labour, but I cant support them as discussed, and everyone else is varying degrees of wasted or soul tainting. I'm spoiling, as usual.

I don't understand. You would prefer Corbyn as PM over May therefore Labour to win but you won't vote for them. Then surely you accept that if May does stay as PM you're complicit in that.

12 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I don't understand. You would prefer Corbyn as PM over May therefore Labour to win but you won't vote for them. Then surely you accept that if May does stay as PM you're complicit in that.

I can like policies and not support someone. Corbyn has some policies I like, but as discussed his party is a basket case and wants to knife him in significant numbers for instance. I wouldn't vote for him because of that, etc. I daresay the Tories have policies I like but i wont vote for them either.

My seat is very unlikely to shift from Labour so I'll be complicit in nothing when I spoil my ballot. I don't support any of them and none of them do enough to earn my vote.

I don't understand how you can possibly believe Corbyn has anything being a snowball's chance in hell of achieving anything in this election. But i guess i cant call you 'complicit' in failure.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I don't understand why? An increased majority is an increased majority. Plus she's reset the clock by two years. 

• Like 3

Interesting to see Hammond refuse to rule out tax rises. He must still be smarting from the NI debacle. Which tax most hurts the poor? VAT? How high is that getting do we reckon...

I'm still amazed that IPT has doubled in the space of less than 2 years.

I've had an ale, but forgive me. I've got a CLP meeting tomorrow, where I'm going to have to turn up and tell my local MP I back her, and am going to campaign for her. I don't like much of anything she has had to say in the past 12 months, but I'm doing this for Jeremy. He needs her elected, so I'll help him get that done. My CLP, and the PLP has shot its self in the foot on this, so I need to convey that this is happening through gritted teeth, We're fighting fires here, and it's pretty ****ed to be honest. 

• Like 2

To expand on that newspaper clipping a page back, May is holding an election she repeatedly pledged not to hold, to perform an act she voted against, whilst claiming the country is United, but parliament isn't. And in doing so is supported by the Labour opposition.

And that leaves a choice between an abhorrent, untrustworthy, hollow, control freak or a monumentally incompetent flakey dreamer who actually helps the tories through his dim-witted bumbling ineptitude.

All the damage that the tories are doing and will do is being aided and abetted by the utter clusterplop that is the Corbyn "led" Labour party.

The only way any of it could ever be stopped would be if we had a voting system where every vote actually counted and our MPs were chosen under a PR system.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, blandy said:

To expand on that newspaper clipping a page back, May is holding an election she repeatedly pledged not to hold, to perform an act she voted against, whilst claiming the country is United, but parliament isn't. And in doing so is supported by the Labour opposition.

And that leaves a choice between an abhorrent, untrustworthy, hollow, control freak or a monumentally incompetent flakey dreamer who actually helps the tories through his dim-witted bumbling ineptitude.

All the damage that the tories are doing and will do is being aided and abetted by the utter clusterplop that is the Corbyn "led" Labour party.

The only way any of it could ever be stopped would be if we had a voting system where every vote actually counted and our MPs were chosen under a PR system.

i kinda get most of that  but didn't we have claims of an unelected PM that was running scared of getting her own mandate ....weren't labour supportiers ( tbf it may have been more remainers clutching at straws )  demanding she call an election soon as she became PM .... now she's doing just that the very same people * are accusing her of lying and  U-turning ... they are right of course but it just seems a weird stick to use when you've been given what you asked for 

i think regardless of the character assassination she has played a blinder politically ( assuming she wins of course ) , fairly sure after this election she won't suffer another potential NI defeat 

for the control freak part , aren't all leaders to a degree , i'd argue Corbyn  is one as well , you only have to look at the path he's leading labour down to see that .. my way or piss off basically .... anything else and they get seen as weak ?

* I'll qualify this by saying social media wise rather than anyone specifically on this forum 

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

Interesting to see Hammond refuse to rule out tax rises. He must still be smarting from the NI debacle. Which tax most hurts the poor? VAT? How high is that getting do we reckon...

I'm still amazed that IPT has doubled in the space of less than 2 years.

I think the no tax rise thing was a bit like the Brexit referendum, a manifesto promise when Cameron didn't think they'd win a majority.  It's foolish for anyone not to write in some wriggle room when it comes to raising taxes, as Hammond found out.

Â