General Election 2017

ender4

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

Do any of the Corbyn fans on this forum think Labour can win? 

No. See my post above. 

EDIT: FFS, WHY does that page break thing ALWAYS happen? <_<

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The FTPA was created simply and only to prevent the Lib Dems holding a gun to the head of the 2010-2015 coalition by threatening a vote of no confidence and flashing their knickers at Labour instead. Its creation was every bit as cynical as its death, and I for one won't miss it (while it may remain on the statute books, it died as a relevant concept today). 

Are you trying to say the Tories enacted a major constitutional change purely because it would benefit themselves in short term electioneering?

They'd never do something that cynical and foolish, surely?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jon_c said:

Are you trying to say the Tories enacted a major constitutional change purely because it would benefit themselves in short term electioneering?

They'd never do something that cynical and foolish, surely?

I agree, it is hard to believe they could be so devious. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

Corbyn is an absolute fool.  20 points behind in the polls and he is going to vote for the early election.  May can't have the election if Labour don't agree to it as a two thirds majority is needed.  The only reason May wants the election now is because Labour are such shambles that they won't put up any sort of a fight and Corbyn is nodding it through like he thinks he has a chance.  Labour need to vote against the snap election, get their house in order and put up a proper fight at the end of the fixed term.  Sadly none of these things have any chance of happening.  I can only hope that a coalition of Lib/Lab and SNP can pull together to stop the Tories.  All pipe dreams, I will apologise to my children tonight for the shambles of a Britain I will be leaving them.

Having a "dream team" of sturgeon and Corbyn sounds as wonderful as herpes 

32 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I wonder if the 20 tory MPs under criminal investigation for committing electoral offences at the last general election will be standing again? :) 

Interesting point.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Corbyn's agreeing to it because he's tired and had enough. He can't get past the backstabbers in the PLP, so he's throwing the towel in. He'll get wiped out in the election and go write his memoirs. Some Blairite will take over and New New Labour will win the next election and ensure the Tory philosophy and politics continue uninterrupted. Depressing. 

If this is the case then why now? He should have thrown the towel in a long time ago.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I wonder if the 20 tory MPs under criminal investigation for committing electoral offences at the last general election will be standing again? :) 

seems unlikely they would punish them by disqualification or such , didn't Labour just get a £20k fine for the same / similar offence of over spending ... amusingly for the Ed Stone :crylaugh:

5 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Image result for george carlin don't vote

I'd say the vast majority of MPs are decent people, even if they aren't my party of choosing and yes, even if they are in government.  I really hate that argument.

Anyway I'm surprised that she's calling for an election as I think the Lib Dems are in a decent position to take a lot of Tory seats.  Are Labour really going to lose many more than what they have?

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

And are lead by a compete clearing in the woods.

I'm intrigued by this, I mean, I have been closer to the Lib Dems than most, but Tim is one of the most decent people I know in politics. He's from a pretty humble background, actually gives a shit on a number of issues, is incredibly responsive to people that question him through twitter (despite the job, and it is personally so), voted against the coalition on a bunch of the crap stuff...

At a guess the only thing that can drive you to that conclusion is the jumping up and down stuff which, given the position of the party, you have to do to get any airtime at all. That, or some of his earlier votes on LGBT issues, a position which changed a good while before he became leader (that was the blot in my mind, and I'm relieved it's gone).

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dale said:

I'm intrigued by this, I mean, I have been closer to the Lib Dems than most, but Tim is one of the most decent people I know in politics. He's from a pretty humble background, actually gives a shit on a number of issues, is incredibly responsive to people that question him through twitter (despite the job, and it is personally so), voted against the coalition on a bunch of the crap stuff...

At a guess the only thing that can drive you to that conclusion is the jumping up and down stuff which, given the position of the party, you have to do to get any airtime at all. That, or some of his earlier votes on LGBT issues, a position which changed a good while before he became leader (that was the blot in my mind, and I'm relieved it's gone).

Yeah. I was unsure about Farron, did a bit of research and joined the Lib Dems last November time.

I think those who are against Brexit, need to swallow their pride and forgive the Lib Dems for 2010.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dale said:

His faith and it's effect on his positions on various points.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Do any of the Corbyn fans on this forum think Labour can win? 

Potentially yes. I think society and politics are completely **** up these days. Everyone is addicted to their smartphone, TV and the internet and has the attention span of just long enough to accept a tiny premise they don't have to critically think through. On the leadership debates you have live swingometers going up and down over how someone winks or smiles.

If enough of the idealists who voted Corbyn in as leader mobilise on the streets as well as social media, perceptions can change very quickly. Misconceptions brought about by dodgy reporting in the online and printed news sources, as well as everyday stances, need to be challenged as ill-considered and weakly thought out. When 

It would need the right side of the Labour to get behind the left though. I see that as the biggest obstacle. Blairites need to fathom out pretty quickly that it doesn't matter who their leader is, if they lose, they all lose.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

What Corbyn fans? 

It's Villatalk, not a union forum. 

:wave:

I like his policies and I think most opinions of him are subjective. I've yet to see anything objective. I don't care that he looks like a Geography teacher. 

• Like 2

Â