General Election 2017

ender4

Am I the only one who thinks it would pretty much be a solid for Labour if they reverse their decision to back brexit? There's no harm in changing your mind, just as May changed hers about calling an election. 

They'll pick up a hell of a lot more votes doing that than they will right now. 

I'd genuinely take a broken Labour government that remains in the EU over a "together" conservative party ripping us out of the EU. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Just now, Straggler said:

I think twice about bringing up my opinion in a new group of people as I have had really hostile reactions to saying that I would like to reverse the Brexit process. 

really ?

I can only speak personally but whenever I've been anywhere and it's discussed it's always cordial ...it's usually the elephant in the room and comes up at some point even if nobody really wants to go there .... Maybe the Ghettos of Surrey are a bit different to the rest of the UK but I'm not seeing this hatred , hostility , divisions of which many of you speak . My mate who is an estate agent ( and remainer) mentioned down the pub business was slow as a result of the uncertainty , we just ribbed him that he was a crap estate agent and that was about as hostile as it got  :) ... I've certainly not had any bad words with anyone about it or how they voted

I'm seeing more hostility around conversations involving Trump than brexit if I'm honest  ... and even then it's mainly people who know absolutely nothing about America , Trump or it's politics offering an opinion that he's a mad man

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Urgh, this is just wrong.

it's been government policy since the Thatcher era , presumably your "anger" is at the whole political system in the UK rather than this isolated instance ?

• Like 1

It's wrong, cowardly, weak, full stop.

Nice try though.

And meeting with the owners of the most widely read papers in the UK, is government policy? Must have missed that.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Nice try though.

And meeting with the owners of the most widely read papers in the UK, is government policy? Must have missed that.

It's an old document now , but you get the sentiment

All together, that's 113 meetings with senior British political figures in the list detailed - some of them one-to-ones, others at official events.

edit - guess I should have put a  Dr Evil quote hands thingy around my original use of the phrase "government policy " to make the point

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Just now, tonyh29 said:

really ?

I can only speak personally but whenever I've been anywhere and it's discussed it's always cordial ...it's usually the elephant in the room and comes up at some point even if nobody really wants to go there .... Maybe the Ghettos of Surrey are a bit different to the rest of the UK but I'm not seeing this hatred , hostility , divisions of which many of you speak . My mate who is an estate agent ( and remainer) mentioned down the pub business was slow as a result of the uncertainty , we just ribbed him that he was a crap estate agent and that was about as hostile as it got  :) ... I've certainly not had any bad words with anyone about it or how they voted

I'm seeing more hostility around conversations involving Trump than brexit if I'm honest  ... and even then it's mainly people who know absolutely nothing about America , Trump or it's politics offering an opinion that he's a mad man

Really, really.  The last time was at a dinner party at a friends house in a leafy suburb of Oxford.  I knew about half of the people there and the ones I didn't know started talking about Brexit from a leave stance.  I chipped in with my 2 cents and they just turned on me.  Not a physical threat or anything like that, but they went for me like they had found a traitor in their midst with much of the rhetoric that you have seen in the press used.  I felt so bad for my host as it basically ended the evening right there as the rift in the room just wasn't going to go away.  It's just not normal.  It may be that I have been unlucky with some of the people I have met and I have had reasonable debates with leavers too, so I'm not saying it is anything like universal, but I have experienced it. 

• Like 3

Is that a policy? What about Dacre?

And as before, yes, it's wrong either way.

She's running from the public and refusing to condemn disgraceful headlines while meeting with those pushing them.

20 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

And as before, yes, it's wrong either way.

30 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

And as said multiple times, I don't have an issue with the press persuading people to a certain opinion. I do have an issue with the blatant lies and inciting hatred rhetoric that is used to fuel anger and division.

Edited by StefanAVFC

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-39628713

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn asks the prime minister why, if she is so proud of her record, she will not debate it on television.

He says that in 2010 the Conservatives promised to eradicate the deficit by 2015, and then by 2020. "Austerity has failed - do you know which year the deficit will be eradicated?"

Theresa May says it has taken Mr Corbyn a little time to get used to the idea of how PMQs works.

That's not an answer. No wonder she's scared to debate.

May is what, 20pts ahead in the polls? Much more than in personal polling vs Corbyn in terms of who people trust as PM.

She's got nothing to gain and everything to loose electorally in TV debates, so at the practical level she'd be a imbecile to do it.

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

The people of Tatton will be losing their part time MP. :)

As I just posted in the Tory thread, he's presumably realised he'll have far more influence over the future of the country in his editorial role than he ever would in Government.

Sad, but apt timing for the debate in this thread.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

are worlds apart from "Enemies of the State"

previously you've used

Enemies of the Nation

now

Enemies of the State

the headline was

Enemies of the people

I just feel that the pedantry is important seeing as your post asked they  simply report facts :)

Edited by tonyh29

15 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

As I just posted in the Tory thread, he's presumably realised he'll have far more influence over the future of the country in his editorial role than he ever would in Government.

Sad, but apt timing for the debate in this thread.

posting the same gag in 2 different threads ,  forfeits all likes surely :P

Â