General Election 2017

ender4

28 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

35028236995_af1e3a2f2b.jpg

These are the leaflets through the door so far.

Yet to receive anything from Labour, Lib Dem or UKIP (they've all put up candidates).

Now, at a local hustings, I would expect Cairns to get the hardest time due to the interests of the number of parties set against him. I'd expect kippers to give the conservative an easy ride as they think they are getting what they want by proxy.

But I'd expect all others to be against him.

That local hustings wouldn't prove a pro Labour audience bias. It would prove 50 / 60% of people are anti tory.

Unfortunately getting 39% of the vote probably wins this seat.

(I'm not suggesting the Pirate party or WEP are a force to be reckoned with, but this seat was once won by 19 votes)

I popped across the border into West Lancs before and saw my first Tory Election poster in someone's garden (actually front field is a better description) and my instant thought was, jeez I bet you regret the Standing with Theresa May slogan... it's like putting all your eggs in one basket then you find out the basket is made of soggy cardboard

Actually, it's my second Tory poster, there's one in Formby but it's been defaced so badly they'd be better off taking it down. That one doesn't have the slogan on though just the face of the female candidate whose name escapes me, Alison.. Twunt maybe

Oh and I've had election material from Labour, Labour and Labour... no one else. Used to be Tory territory this

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't particularly like Corbyn. He's growing on me this campaign but I don't have any draw towards him. he comes across as very uncharismatic to me.

However I absolutely despise May. Politically and personally (not that I know her personally, I guess I just mean as a person from what I can see)

So when you don't really like either leader I can only really go on policies, which is I guess how it should be. And from where I'm standing, Labour win that by an absolute mile.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. 

51 minutes ago, DK82 said:

@Risso / @TrentVilla, what do you hate more. What Corbyn stands for, or what the Tories stand for and are doing to the poor/young/old/disabled of this country?

That's an extremely loaded question.

The reality is that it's far more complexed than that, besides which it isn't a either or question.

Frankly I don't like either of them or quite a lot of what either of them stand for in very different ways. 

I won't be voting for either of them.

• Like 2

yep, regardless of whatever happens between now and next week, I haven't a clue what is actually going to happen, but simple caution against getting optimistic leads me to think the tories will increase their majority slightly

31 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Best thing about the whole process so far for me, is the fact that Labour have polled at 39% under Corbyn. Having sabotaged Corbyn at every step, Mandleson and co smugly went to the airwaves upon the election being called saying that whatever the result, Corbyn should 'own it'. Would love it after this election if Corbyn did a 'Red Wedding' and reselected each and every troublemaking MP - he would be well within his rights to do so now. 

Please bear in mind that one of the reasons for Labours miserable few years is because Corbyn has done exactly this. He got rid of the more centrist Labour politicians which made a lot of people quit. He needs to consolidate his party, not tear it up again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Please bear in mind that one of the reasons for Labours miserable few years is because Corbyn has done exactly this. He got rid of the more centrist Labour politicians which made a lot of people quit. He needs to consolidate his party, not tear it up again.

Yikes - hate to be fact-nerd but he hasn't got rid of a single MP, or even tried to. It is quite the opposite, the 'centrist' Labour MPs have tried twice to get rid of him. And these same MPs will be there after the election attempting to credit their success as being nothing to do with Corbyn. You may be forgiven for thinking the likes of Chuka Umuna and Ed Ball's wife have been 'disappeared' - but truth is they're sat well out of it, waiting for Corbyn to fail. I am looking forward to watching their next step.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm heading towards drawing a sailboat on my ballot paper.

That's such a half-hearted effort.

At least consider using origami skillz to make the ballot paper into a sailing boat, before complaining to the polling station staff that the slot in the box won't accommodate your masterpiece (ooh-er, missus), and demanding that it is securely conveyed to the count without being squashed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DK82 said:

@Risso / @TrentVilla, what do you hate more. What Corbyn stands for, or what the Tories stand for and are doing to the poor/young/old/disabled of this country?

Or, equally. What do you hate more. What May stands for, or what Labour now believe in, that every defeat of the state is to be desired and that 100m dead is not enough evidence that Marxism is not a viable system?

Nigel Farage is a person of interest.  I think that's stretching words unreasonably far, but, hey.

Nigel Farage is a “person of interest” in the US counter-intelligence investigation that is looking into possible collusion between the Kremlin and Donald Trump’s presidential campaign, the Guardian has been told.

Sources with knowledge of the investigation said the former Ukip leader had raised the interest of FBI investigators because of his relationships with individuals connected to both the Trump campaign and Julian Assange, the WikiLeaks founder whom Farage visited in March...

5 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Or, equally. What do you hate more. What May stands for, or what Labour now believe in, that every defeat of the state is to be desired and that 100m dead is not enough evidence that Marxism is not a viable system?

I think this is a bit of a conflation. Would be the same as saying that state supported capitalist nations have been responsible for lots of death abroad and even domestically (e.g. Pinochet in Chile).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Absolutely this.

Dude, you're seconding an opinion based on a complete misreading of what has happened in the Labour party since 2015. I get the impression you have no intention of trying to understand what Corbyn stands for.

31 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/gainloss.html

The link gives a list of seats likely to change hands.

59300513.jpg

This site is providing what looks to me like the most realistic changes. I may be slightly more bearish on the Tories in my final guess, with a majority of around 70, but I think this is basically what the Commons will look like. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Â