General Election 2017

ender4

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm heading towards drawing a sailboat on my ballot paper.

When voting on the Police & Crime Commissioner for Durham, my mate spoiled his ballot by taping a picture of Boss Hogg to it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, coda said:

DBL916rXcAAn3Dm.jpg (1080×1142)

Different source and date but I'm loath to believe any of them.

Such a huge gap. Either YouGov or TNS are going to be very wrong. Seems like no-one has a clue.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Dude, you're seconding an opinion based on a complete misreading of what has happened in the Labour party since 2015. I get the impression you have no intention of trying to understand what Corbyn stands for.

Then your impression is wrong.

Just because I don't like Corbyn doesn't mean I don't understand what he stands for.

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

@dAVe80 Have you seen the news re Darlington's Tory candidate this morning? Should help to get your lady over the line:

Seems like the chaps done an Abbott.

His views have changed (and I presume his hair) so that's okay.

I'm afraid Labour will struggle to make the most of this because of Abbott however reprehensible the comments from this chap are.

Thats said, it will I'm sure have an impact on local voters.

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

@dAVe80 Have you seen the news re Darlington's Tory candidate this morning? Should help to get your lady over the line:

Yep this was the big news yesterday. I nearly posted about it. This is on top of him saying that he believes fox hunting is the most humane way to cull them. The bloke is a bit of a joke, which is why it's worrying that it's still going to be close. UKIP being third in the last election means he's likely to pick up a fair bit of their vote.  

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Have you seen the news re Darlington's Tory candidate this morning? Should help to get your lady over the line:

As soon as a politician begins an answer with any combo of the 'let me be very clear / I have been very clear...' you just know the last thing you are going to get is a clear answer to the actual question asked.

8 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Seems like the chaps done an Abbott.

His views have changed (and I presume his hair) so that's okay.

I'm afraid Labour will struggle to make the most of this because of Abbott however reprehensible the comments from this chap are.

Thats said, it will I'm sure have an impact on local voters.

He did make a joke about not having an afro, in the original article.

• Like 1

Report into funding of terrorism is suppressed

An investigation into the foreign funding of extremist Islamist groups may never be published, the Home Office has admitted.

The inquiry commissioned by David Cameron, was launched as part of a deal with the Liberal Democrats in December 2015, in exchange for the party supporting the extension of British airstrikes against Isis into Syria.

But although it was due to be published in the spring of 2016, it has not been completed and may never be made public due to its "sensitive" contents.

It is thought to focus on Saudi Arabia, which the UK recently approved £3.5bn worth of arms export licences to.

A spokesperson from the Home Office told The Independent a decision on the publication of the report would be taken “after the election by the next government”.

But in a separate interview with The Guardian, a spokesperson said the report may never be published, describing its contents were “very sensitive”.

Tom Brake, the Liberal Democrat foreign affairs spokesman, has written a letter to the Prime Minister pressing her on when the report will be published and what steps she proposes to take to address “one of the root causes of violent extremism in the UK”.

“You will agree with me that the protection of our country, of the British people, is the most important job of any government," he wrote. "Certainly, more important than potential trade deals with questionable regimes, which appear to be the only explanation for your reticence.

“When will this report be finished and published? And what steps do you propose to take to address one of the root causes of violent extremism in the UK?”

Mr Brake accused Ms May of adopting a “short-sighted approach” to the funding of violent Islamist groups in the UK and urged that those who fund them should be called out publicly.

Accusing the Conservatives of being "worried about upsetting their dodgy friends in the Middle East", he said party had "broken their pledge to investigate funding of violent Islamist groups in the UK".

He added: “That short-sighted approach needs to change. It is critical that these extreme, hard line views are confronted head on, and that those who fund them are called out publicly."

It comes after Home Secretary Amber Rudd suggested during a leadership debate, that UK arms sales to Saudi Arabia are good for industry.

The Government has recently approved £3.5bn worth of arms export licences to Saudi Arabia and a stream of British ministers have visited the kingdom to solicit trade, despite its ongoing involvement in the bombing campaign in Yemen.

Government figures compiled by Campaign Against Arms Trade (CAAT) show the UK has licenced over £4.1 billion of arms to the Middle East since the last election in May 2015, and that two thirds of UK arms exports go to the Middle East.

• Like 1

Agreed - they should do a daily section where they highlight each lie from politicians and also the papers and explain in detail why it's a lie and what the paper/politician is trying to achieve by doing so.

To be fair they'd probably need a whole programme just to get through the mail. But if enough of the TV stations did it and did it consistently then maybe it would gradually push things in the direction. 

2 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Agreed - they should do a daily section where they highlight each lie from politicians and also the papers and explain in detail why it's a lie and what the paper/politician is trying to achieve by doing so.

To be fair they'd probably need a whole programme just to get through the mail. But if enough of the TV stations did it and did it consistently then maybe it would gradually push things in the direction. 

Just get Adam Hills and his BS button as a stand alone show each day leading into the election.

Â