General Election 2017

ender4

5 minutes ago, meregreen said:

She called an election .......and then didn't turn up.

Perhaps she has learnt from the fate of Neil Kinnock, who many think, would have won the 1992 election if he hadn't turned up in Sheffield for his moment of hubristic triumphalism.  

So Tory candidate Craig MacKinlay and two other conservative members have been charged for election fraud.  Things just don't get any better for poor old May.  Hope this will be the nail in the coffin for the Tories

Edit:  It is Craig + agent and Tory strategist that is charged:

Following investigation by @channel4news, Tory MP(Thanet South) his agent and a top Tory strategist charged by CPS re election expenses 2015

Edited by supermon

22 minutes ago, supermon said:

So Tory candidate Craig MacKinlay and two other conservative members have been charged for election fraud.  Things just don't get any better for poor old May.  Hope this will be the nail in the coffin for the Tories

Just seen this, am I imagining it or wasn't it recently reported that nobody would face charges over this?

14 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Is May possibly ill or something?

I really can't understand somebody voluntarily calling an election they didn't have to and stating it is needed so she looks strong and stable and tough and bloody awkward - then going in to hiding. When she is flushed out like some scared twin setted fox, she looks awful and talks utter rubbish. All with the smile and laugh of someone proclaiming all is well, when they've clearly just done a very wet shit in their trouser suit.

Yes she is type one diabetic. She'll be there on QT with Corbyn 

Edited by PaulC

The polls this time are wildy different and it seems to be because the electorate at this moment are unpredictable.

2.5 million newly registered voters alongside the 3 million extra voters that turned up for Brexit. Potentially 5.5 million voters that don't usually vote or haven't voted before.

Who knows really. Read into what you want, I like the Labour momentum narrative and think there's something in it. There's a strong arguement for business as usual, shy Tory voting as well.

17 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes she is type one diabetic

Whilst I sympathise with this condition it does not,  as far as I know effect ones mental capabilities or decision making abilities (or in her case sub-routines and / or reboot sequence).

I don't doubt she will use this as a "Britain's got talent moment, vote for me becasue I am ill"  and we will probably find out her Nan is ill as well what with the one footed amputation and the muscle wasting disease,  last time she brought the dinner in on a tray she was anything but strong and **** stable. 

May is the Mrs Overall off politics without the Macaroon baking skills.  When everyone is laughing at you and you have been found as with Cameron and his child the sob stories will flow.  Devious words removed but amusing words removed all the same.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

2.5 million newly registered voters alongside the 3 million extra voters that turned up for Brexit. Potentially 5.5 million voters that don't usually vote or haven't voted before.

There is next to no chance of a large percentage of that 3 million from the Brexit vote coming out for the GE. Every vote counted in the referendum but that simply isn't the case in the GE.

8 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Whilst I sympathise with this condition it does not,  as far as I know effect ones mental capabilities or decision making abilities (or in her case sub-routines and / or reboot sequence).

I don't doubt she will use this as a "Britain's got talent moment, vote for me becasue I am ill"  and we will probably find out her Nan is ill as well what with the one footed amputation and the muscle wasting disease,  last time she brought the dinner in on a tray she was anything but strong and **** stable. 

May is the Mrs Overall off politics without the Macaroon baking skills.  When everyone is laughing at you and you have been found as with Cameron and his child the sob stories will flow.  Devious words removed but amusing words removed all the same.

personally I think if it is causing a problem for her, because one of the side effects of taking insulin or the condition itself is fatigue, then she should never have gone for the party leadership . I do wonder whether she is being more selection with regard to appearances because of her condition. Corbyn seems to be thriving with the extra pressure whereas she is wilting under it. Maybe he's the strong one afterall. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

she should never have gone for the party leadership

Exactly,  I have ADHD and some other amusing things so If she can become prime minister then I will have a go at air-traffic control at Schiphol or maybe give some surgery a go then becasue my concentration is ace (I will let VT know which day though for the air traffic try out :D as I know you would all like to be landing at Schiphol that day)

Sometimes you cannot always do what you want and I would respect her more if she said I am not up to it after all.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

There is next to no chance of a large percentage of that 3 million from the Brexit vote coming out for the GE. Every vote counted in the referendum but that simply isn't the case in the GE.

And how much of that 3 million, was previous non-voters coming out and voting to Leave?

As much as I didn't agree, and still don't, the Leave crowd are/were much more passionate/

Edited by StefanAVFC

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

the Leave crowd are/were much more passionate/

True but it's always easier to get excited about the unknown than the Status Quo that has not delivered for the majority + the "Grass is Greener on the other side" played a part also.

1 hour ago, PompeyVillan said:

The polls this time are wildy different and it seems to be because the electorate at this moment are unpredictable.

I gather the main difference is in methodology, and especially how they account for different rates of turnout among different parts of the public.  There's also something about whether some sampling methods have over-represented people who engage online, I think.

On the turnout, the common method seems to be to take the raw polling data and then apply a discount factor equivalent to the turnout of that age group across an average of recent elections, to allow for older people voting more consistently than younger ones.  That's a reasonable starting point, and would work if turnout rates are similar across age groups to what they have been previously.

The question for Labour will be whether efforts to get younger people to register and then to vote can produce a greater turnout in that age group than in other elections.  It will certainly have some effect, but I don't imagine either pollsters or anyone else is in a good position to say how much.

• Like 2

Â