Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

7 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

The only reason Russia wants Crimea is for prestige, to screw with Ukraine,

Agreed,  I suspect it is an absolute pain is in the backside to supply and defend also,  it's almost undefendable given location and coastline I guess as well.

It's a Bullseye moment for Putin,  look what you could have won.  No invasion he keeps Crimea,  Invasion and he lost it all.  No even a speedboat.

If he keeps it then child killers really do prosper.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

I fear that taking Crimea by force is well outside Ukraine's ability.  Crimea has been fought over for centuries.   Its amazingly well fortified.  Even the Nazis struggled to take it at their strongest when the Red Army was at its weakest.  

The most viable option is just to isolate it and make Russia expend a huge resource keeping it supplied.  Keeping it supplied with everything from drinking water to artillery pieces is going to cost Russia dearly. 

18 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I fear that taking Crimea by force is well outside Ukraine's ability.  Crimea has been fought over for centuries.   Its amazingly well fortified.  Even the Nazis struggled to take it at their strongest when the Red Army was at its weakest.  

The most viable option is just to isolate it and make Russia expend a huge resource keeping it supplied.  Keeping it supplied with everything from drinking water to artillery pieces is going to cost Russia dearly. 

The_Trooper_song_cover.jpg.ed0732e9d3a25e381770428749fc5f77.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Might be true, but tbh I don’t think you can compare the combat in 1943, 1876 or whatever to today. If the Germans had the amount of extremely accurate mlrs’ and drones with grenades it wouldn’t have ended in the long siege.

Also the Russian armed forces of today are probably worse than the mainly Ukrainian/Tatar legions defending their home in ww2. I doubt a forcibly mobilised non-Slavic Russian is going to offer up the resistance we saw in ww2.

Edited by magnkarl

On 18/11/2022 at 13:19, villakram said:

Perhaps looking/reading beyond the perspective afforded from your little portion of that Island might help your very narrow perspective.

You're one of those drivers aren't you? (the word removed ones)

Edited by TheAuthority
Trying to find the correct word filter

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Can someone explain this please?  Are they both Russian fighters?

Neither groups are regular troops that are under the direct control of the Russian Military.  They are militia/mercenaries who have their own agendas.  They both want power, influence and the spoils of war.  They will attack allies in order to get what they want.  

• Thanks 1

On 19/11/2022 at 03:47, Panto_Villan said:

You sound ill informed. Turkey controls the Black Sea whether or not Russia controls Crimea. They control access through the straits and their fleet is much larger and more capable than the Russian one. There’s no territory that Crimea gives access to that Russia’s other Black Sea ports like Novorossiysk do not.

The only reason Russia wants Crimea is for prestige, to screw with Ukraine, and for the existing military infrastructure in Sevastopol (which could be rebuilt elsewhere if they wanted).

That's an astonishingly naive post.

Â