Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure where else to put this

Banksy has the war on the front page and in the news again, something weird about seeing a Banksy on the front page of a regional German newspaper

Fair play to him, I love a banksy

4AC95278-7CE5-40C0-9F47-1305060F90C4.jpeg.ea79a6be32702e7226dda05fd4882129.jpeg

• Like 3

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

There'll be an emergency meeting today at NATO. I'd be surprised if Poland doesn't start to push for rolling Patriots and other even more high tech in to Western Ukraine to shut down the sky totally.

It should have been done lone ago. Yesterday was another attack where 90% of everything Russia sent was shot down, while the few missiles that got through mainly hit residential buildings. If Putin and Lavrov thinks this will make anyone stop they're stupid, it'll harden support in Poland which is en route to be EU's largest land army. Idiots.

• Like 1

I’ve gone off a lot of the accounts I’ve been following on Twitter after this missile attack and the Kerch bridge attack. Quite a few people who initially seemed well informed seem more interested in confirming their biases these days.

It always seemed a distinct possibility that the missile was an errant Ukrainian S300 missile defence missile, especially when the debris images came out and it looked exactly like a S300. Lots of people claiming on Twitter that even entertaining the possibility was just fuelling Russian propaganda ironically are just giving Russian propagandists more to work with.

A lot of them are the same accounts that seemed to be convinced that the Kerch bridge attack was a result of the US giving the Ukrainians long-range ATACAMS ammo for their HIMARS (which was clearly not the case, especially in hindsight) and ridiculing anyone that thought differently.

19 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

4AC95278-7CE5-40C0-9F47-1305060F90C4.jpeg.ea79a6be32702e7226dda05fd4882129.jpeg

Yeah that's the one in the paper, being super overly analytical judo is about overcoming an aggressor and it being a child throwing an adult is Russia being a more powerful opponent than Ukraine but the child Ukraine winning

Or basic as you like somehow his stuff always just looks cool

He's done a ballerina one too and I think a rocket launcher one where its a Russian vehicle but the rocket has been replaced by a crude graffiti cock and balls

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I’ve gone off a lot of the accounts I’ve been following on Twitter after this missile attack and the Kerch bridge attack. Quite a few people who initially seemed well informed seem more interested in confirming their biases these days.

It always seemed a distinct possibility that the missile was an errant Ukrainian S300 missile defence missile, especially when the debris images came out and it looked exactly like a S300. Lots of people claiming on Twitter that even entertaining the possibility was just fuelling Russian propaganda ironically are just giving Russian propagandists more to work with.

A lot of them are the same accounts that seemed to be convinced that the Kerch bridge attack was a result of the US giving the Ukrainians long-range ATACAMS ammo for their HIMARS (which was clearly not the case, especially in hindsight) and ridiculing anyone that thought differently.

There is a weird narrative out there that Ukraine is always virtuous and can do no wrong while Russia is the incarnation of evil whilst also being incompetent. 

I get why that narrative has developed but it helps no one. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah that's the one in the paper, being super overly analytical judo is about overcoming an aggressor and it being a child throwing an adult is Russia being a more powerful opponent than Ukraine but the child Ukraine winning

Or basic as you like somehow his stuff always just looks cool

He's done a ballerina one too and I think a rocket launcher one where its a Russian vehicle but the rocket has been replaced by a crude graffiti cock and balls

It ain't subtle.

spacer.png

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Agreed. However it is extremely reckless of Russia to be sending missiles with such high failure rates towards the border with NATO regardless. It might have been AA-rockets from Ukraine, but the reason why they're in the air is because Russia keeps bombing civilians and taking out their heating during the cold months. These are war crimes. If they were in the air to shoot down Russian missiles and hit Poland it is still Russia's fault. Everything in this war is a reaction to Russian aggression and barbarian acts towards their neighbour.

29 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

It ain't subtle.

spacer.png

Judo champion of Russia. All opponents thrown around like ragdolls. 

Even better at Judo than he is at Ice Hockey and he's pretty darn elite at Ice Hockey. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

There'll be an emergency meeting today at NATO. I'd be surprised if Poland doesn't start to push for rolling Patriots and other even more high tech in to Western Ukraine to shut down the sky totally.

It should have been done lone ago. Yesterday was another attack where 90% of everything Russia sent was shot down, while the few missiles that got through mainly hit residential buildings. If Putin and Lavrov thinks this will make anyone stop they're stupid, it'll harden support in Poland which is en route to be EU's largest land army. Idiots.

Something of this nature was always inevitable. Wars are chaotic and messy. NATO will surely have "war gamed" this possibility and have a preprepared response. Even if the missile is Ukrainian I still blame the Russians. There'd be no missiles being fired of any kind if they hadn't invaded their neighbour totally unprovoked. No one can blame the Ukrainians for casualties resulting from them defending themselves.

I expect we'll see more strengthening along the NATO border and some kind of strongly worded rebuke for the Russians but nothing more. The west has shown itself to be at best risk-averse and at worst weak in the face of a 21st century dictator intent on subjugating his neighbours. The Ukrainian people are making the ultimate sacrifice to fight a war that needs to be fought but that we just don't want to. The man's a tyrant and we've seen where this road ends if he's not stopped.

The missile MAY not have been fired by Russia, but the question is why was it fired at all. 

If Russia wasn't sending their own missiles others wouldn't need to be set up to intercept them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

Agreed. However it is extremely reckless of Russia to be sending missiles with such high failure rates towards the border with NATO regardless. It might have been AA-rockets from Ukraine, but the reason why they're in the air is because Russia keeps bombing civilians and taking out their heating during the cold months. These are war crimes. If they were in the air to shoot down Russian missiles and hit Poland it is still Russia's fault. Everything in this war is a reaction to Russian aggression and barbarian acts towards their neighbour.

Oh yeah, Ukraine clearly isn’t at fault here and I’m not trying to say it is. The only reason this happened is because Russia was firing missiles at Ukraine.

It’s just a shame so many of the major info sources on Ukraine seem to have turned into clickbait.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Even better at Judo than he is at Ice Hockey and he's pretty darn elite at Ice Hockey. 

A bit like Trump and golf, he’s never lost a round, could’ve gone pro. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I'd love for Putin to meet i.e a NHL team like the Winnipeg Jets, he'd be knocked out cold in 2 seconds flat, lose his teeth and be up against the boards all game.

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

The only reason this happened is because Russia was firing missiles at Ukraine.

Agreed,  in the big scheme of this war it's not a massive thing,  it was bound to happen sooner or later.  

Russia are lucky,  if it had hit a school or hospital then we are having a different discussion or they could have crashed into a US Sub.  Its sad for the 2 people though,  they really are nothing to do with it.

Few things I have thought about.

I suspect that Putin a) doesn't have many cruise missiles left b) The west will now lock the airspace over Ukraine with whatever toys they choose now,  NATO also needs protection now and this is the route in for total sky control c) Only a very small % of Russian missiles get though,  diminishing returns and costly for Russia in every way.  d) The West (Especially the US) will play this down to control the narrative and keep a lid on things.  e) They purposely took the P*** out of the G20 but it backfired and they were too clever for their own good.  f) They have annoyed the US in a big way,  things will happen behind the scenes now.  g) Ukraine will get a support package sooner, rather than later,  this will be to control the skies,  get power back on and to chase them out of Ukraine.  
Ironically Russia just poked a bear.  This bear will now finish this by stealth,  they have really annoyed the wrong people at the wrong meeting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Was that Richards & Lescott in defence for the other team? 

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Genie said:

A bit like Trump and golf, he’s never lost a round, could’ve gone pro. 

Pfft that’s nothing… Kim Jong Il hit 11 holes in one the first time he played golf. Beat that, orange boy! 

Edited by It's Your Round
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

Pfft that’s nothing… Kim Jong Il hit 11 holes in one the first time he played golf. Beat that, orange boy! 

Going OT but I can assure you that this factoid is met with much amusement in the DPRK , where it's acknowledged that Kom Jong Il has never played a round of golf in his life   , he also didn't score a perfect 300 at bowling either and no such claims are made inside the country.

it may be a case of who cares, but equally the truth is always more valuable than made up shit 

The golf story originally came via an Australian journalist who visited the golf club and was informed of the story by a local  , the journalist himself acknowledges that he thought the local "shit himself" as there were security guys everywhere and he made the whole story up on the spot in case he inadvertently said something negative about the leader 

• Like 1

Â