Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

2 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

There was a Ukrainian drone flying above.  

I shall not describe any gruesome detail.  He is lying on his back in a grassy area.  His upper body seems fine.  His one leg is bent at a strange angle. With some difficulty he manages to shoot himself in the chest with his own rifle.  He appears dead or well beyond any help. The Ukrainian drone drops a grenade.  It explodes very close with no perceivable reaction. 

It’s 2022 for crying out loud. What the **** is going on on this god forsaken planet. 

• Like 2

• Replies 18.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

7 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I think you need to see the video referenced.  A seemingly lightly wounded commander shoots himself whilst lying alone.  I am not doubting their ability to fight together.  It’s the other things like the desire and ability to evacuate wounded. 

Yeah, I've watched it now. Sounds like we agree anyway. I was just talking about Wagner in terms of pure military effectiveness; their attitude towards wounded comrades or those that fail their missions is kinda beyond that and you're right that it doesn't seem like they're willing to risk much to help one another out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Yeah, I've watched it now. Sounds like we agree anyway. I was just talking about Wagner in terms of pure military effectiveness; their attitude towards wounded comrades or those that fail their missions is kinda beyond that and you're right that it doesn't seem like they're willing to risk much to help one another out.

Wagner are normally experienced and effective fighters.   But they haven't fought effective conventional forces.  They have maintained their brutality but that's showing in their attitude to their enemies and their own side.  

Wagner aren't going to take risks to save Chechens or vice versa.  

Although there is a healthy competition between UK forces, the Marines and the Paras would bust a gut to help one another in a real battle.  Even if it was to get the bragging rights.  

• Like 1

Russia is firing ageing cruise missiles stripped of their nuclear warheads at Ukrainian targets because Vladimir Putin’s stocks are so depleted, the Ministry of Defence has suggested.

An intelligence update from the British MoD on Saturday said the desperate improvisation by the Russian president’s struggling forces are “unlikely to achieve reliable effects”.

The evidence cited is pictures of apparently shot down AS-15 Kent air-launched cruise missiles, which were said to have been designed in the 1980s as a nuclear delivery system.

The MoD said the nuclear warheads had probably been replaced with ballast, with the Kremlin’s hope probably that the missiles will distract Ukrainian air defences.

“Although such an inert system will still produce some damage through the missile’s kinetic energy and any unspent fuel, it is unlikely to achieve reliable effects against intended targets,” a statement said.

“Whatever Russia’s intent, this improvisation highlights the level of depletion in Russia’s stock of long-range missiles.”

Guardian

• Like 2

On the subject of missiles,  as @bickstersaid above from the Guardian,  they are running out of the "good"missiles.  Their precision strikes are becoming less and less.  They are hitting roads or empty sheds with missiles earlier last week.  It's just wasting their own time moving them around and firing them.  

Other missile things:-

I beleive Ukraine just got some "Brimstone" from the UK.

I sepent a bit of time looking into these yesterday.  Depends how many but if it's 500-1000 then things change,  they are awesome.

- The missiles talk to each other in flight and decide the targets and then strike if anything changes mid flight.

- Can launch from basically anything.  Air, land and sea.

- Hit static or moving targets,  doesn't seem bothered if target is moving quckly acrross sea for example.

- These are best missiles I have seen latley,  utterly fantastically outragous and brilliant.

- I don't think you know they are coming until far far too late.

Hopefully this week:-

Take out all the remaining Russian Command and Control / Ammo / Logistics that is in range now.  Without these they have basically got a few hundred thousand troops waiting to freeze to death or from Artillary with no command or supply.  In a Ukraine winter,  the first super cold nights and they will surrender logically whilst they can still walk.  

I would hope that this will be taken this week also,  it's in range from the other side of the river and the red X is a park.  they can't defend this for much longer.  Get this and Russia needs to move again as they are in range again.

image.png.bf2c0d5ad3df4dd79243c4f1aa0b4cf7.png

• Like 1

Apparantly the newly mobilized are getting sick before deployment.  This is extrmemly suprising and good news.  I thought even Russia would get them to the front line healthy.  It appears not.

Covid,  Lice and all things nice. 

They have nowhere near enough medical equipment or Doctors for that many people.

3 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

On the subject of missiles,  as @bickstersaid above from the Guardian,  they are running out of the "good"missiles.  Their precision strikes are becoming less and less.  They are hitting roads or empty sheds with missiles earlier last week.  It's just wasting their own time moving them around and firing them.  

Other missile things:-

I beleive Ukraine just got some "Brimstone" from the UK.

I sepent a bit of time looking into these yesterday.  Depends how many but if it's 500-1000 then things change,  they are awesome.

- The missiles talk to each other in flight and decide the targets and then strike if anything changes mid flight.

- Can launch from basically anything.  Air, land and sea.

- Hit static or moving targets,  doesn't seem bothered if target is moving quckly acrross sea for example.

- These are best missiles I have seen latley,  utterly fantastically outragous and brilliant.

- I don't think you know they are coming until far far too late.

Hopefully this week:-

Take out all the remaining Russian Command and Control / Ammo / Logistics that is in range now.  Without these they have basically got a few hundred thousand troops waiting to freeze to death or from Artillary with no command or supply.  In a Ukraine winter,  the first super cold nights and they will surrender logically whilst they can still walk.  

I would hope that this will be taken this week also,  it's in range from the other side of the river and the red X is a park.  they can't defend this for much longer.  Get this and Russia needs to move again as they are in range again.

image.png.bf2c0d5ad3df4dd79243c4f1aa0b4cf7.png

To me it appears that the fall of leaf cover coupled with bad Russian discipline on keeping their dugouts tidy has made this period even more deadly for Russia. The drone operators doesn't even have to look hard to find Russians as they appear to be spreading litter around like rats around their trenches. The amount of videos released today by Ukraine of them essentially decimating squad after squad of Russians with drones and drone corrected artillery is an indicator that the winter might even be deadlier for Russia than the fall was.

The video that really showed the misery today is one where Ukraine drops one fragmentation grenade from the 70's into a trench and takes out 6 soldiers with that one grenade. Russia doesn't stand a chance.

When I was in the army we had an officer who would essentially make us run a mile if there was even a speck of material that stood out around our trenches\foxholes. The Russians appear to be going the opposite way. All their trenches look like a massive hobo camp.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 4

I see this thread is now down to page 3, is this expected due to the Winter and both sides digging in? Or as many people are thinking that people are getting war weary with news about Ukraine?....

43 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I see this thread is now down to page 3, is this expected due to the Winter and both sides digging in? Or as many people are thinking that people are getting war weary with news about Ukraine?....

November was the deadliest month so far for Russia. Ukraine are regrouping and absorbing Russian offensives.

They’re also working on consolidating their hold on Kherson, applying new logistical lines and building up. Western supplied gmlrs are hammering Russian command posts and logistics. It’s the same pattern we saw a couple of weeks before Kharkiv and Kherson was liberated. 

Also the forecast for Ukraine is due to change to a much colder weather type. It’ll make the now very wet ground freeze up and enable the superior Ukrainian armoured columns perform attack manoeuvres again.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

November was the deadliest month so far for Russia. Ukraine are regrouping and absorbing Russian offensives.

They’re also working on consolidating their hold on Kherson, applying new logistical lines and building up. Western supplied gmlrs are hammering Russian command posts and logistics. It’s the same pattern we saw a couple of weeks before Kharkiv and Kherson was liberated. 

Also the forecast for Ukraine is due to change to a much colder weather type. It’ll make the now very wet ground freeze up and enable the superior Ukrainian armoured columns perform attack manoeuvres again.

This is a nightmare for the severely under resourced Russian soldiers. 

• Like 1

Ukraine has moved the front line a significant distance further east than it was a few months ago.  That has lengthened their supply lines.   They will repair and improve those supply lines.  They will also move their newly acquired air defences into the right areas.  

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

Biden saying he is willing to meet Putin to discuss ways to end the war.

And the conversation will go like this.

Russia leaves the whole of Ukraine including Crimea and we'll relax the following sanctions.

We will then relax the following sanctions when you've agreed to pay the following reparations to Ukraine (SHould you fail to pay, they'll be reinstated)

We will relax the following sanctions when time has passed and we believe Ukraine's security isn't at risk

or similar, you get the picture

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

And the conversation will go like this.

Russia leaves the whole of Ukraine including Crimea and we'll relax the following sanctions.

We will then relax the following sanctions when you've agreed to pay the following reparations to Ukraine (SHould you fail to pay, they'll be reinstated)

We will relax the following sanctions when time has passed and we believe Ukraine's security isn't at risk

or similar, you get the picture

No chance Russia agrees to that imo.

• Like 1

Â