Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

Imagine having to tell this woman when she recovers from her injuries, that her baby has died and why all of a sudden we all have to be nice to Russian's. "Sorry love, sorry your baby died, but we want Russians to see that we are nice". 

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

43 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Oh, so in order to get all Russians onside the collective West need to embrace murderers, thieves and general scumbags. Further proof that we've gone frigging soft. 

The only way this ends, is with Russian forces getting clattered and sent home with their tails between their legs. Then they can all work out where to point the finger. 

What next.... Hug a Russian?! Good lord.  

Yeah, we need to treat them the same as we treated Germany after World War 1.  That learned them.

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, we need to treat them the same as we treated Germany after World War 1.  That learned them.

I'm sure if you like you could write to the Ukrainian Government and see if you can start a rehabilitation program and home a few Russian POW's if you fancy. Tell them how they've all been naughty boys and that the West is really nice. You could read them a bit of Tolstoy when tucking them in at night too. Just make sure you bolt that washing machine down.  

55 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Oh, so in order to get all Russians onside the collective West need to embrace murderers, thieves and general scumbags. Further proof that we've gone frigging soft. 

The only way this ends, is with Russian forces getting clattered and sent home with their tails between their legs. Then they can all work out where to point the finger. 

What next.... Hug a Russian?! Good lord.  

Do you really think.... that the majority of Russians are "murderers, thieves and general scumbags" ? 

Who's mentioned hugging anyone, only you. I'm guessing in your mind your right and everyone else is deluded.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tinker said:

Do you really think.... that the majority of Russians are "murderers, thieves and general scumbags" ? 

Who's mentioned hugging anyone, only you. I'm guessing in your mind your right and everyone else is deluded.

Read the thread. The original remark was treating Russian POW's. Not the general Russian population. 

53 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

There are a lot of Russians there... and awful lot of which have run there so they don't get conscripted. The Khazakstan president decreed that government agencies were to help Russians fleeing their country as it was a humanitarian crisis

What are they going to invade Khazakstan with? Space Hoppers, wheelbarrows and water pistols? A Lada with bald tyres for the general

Those Russian talking heads on TV are like Alex Jones was for Trump.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Let's have an Anthony fight!

Turning Russian soldiers into mince pies for Christmas? Then if you do that you're as bad as the Russian authorities.

Seriously though, this is about values and winning the peace. You have to demonstrate the values that you purport to represent. The thing that you are fighting against. Are we for freedom and democracy? Then let's walk the walk. Summary justice? That's only or the Russian regime. Torturing anyone they fancy? That's only the Russian regime. Denying people their rights because they sound funny? That's only the Russian regime. Launching missiles at civilian targets? That's only for the Russian regime. The examples I just mentioned are the kind of things they do. You did not suggest we do these things specifically.

I did not suggest that they should be shipped to the UK. Multinational means that the international community helps Ukraine with the logistics of organising the above. I did not at any point say that they should be treated like special guests. I did not suggest they be treated like VIPs. Have you thought of writing for the Daily Mail? This kind of dishonest, disingenuous crap would sit well there, I'm sure.

This is about the rule of law, and everyone being equal before the law. Innocent unless proven guilty. Those responsible for crimes will be punished, according to the law, not because we're is angry, they're tied up in a basement and we can get away with it.

Always treat POW's fairly. Treat POW's to the standard you would like your POW's to be treated, even though they may have committed horrific crimes. Do not give the arsehole Russian authorities any valid excuse to justify murdering or torturing your people.

Look... I'm not advocating treating Russian POW's as sub human(even though thousands will be). These decisions will be made by the Ukrainian government, and from what I gather most are being treated well-ish. Far better infact than Russian's are treating Ukrainian POW's. 

What I don't agree with is your idea that the world needs to be involved in looking after and rehabilitating Russian POW's so they spread the word and become, "deprogrammed" as you put it. How are you going to deprogram not just decades, but hundreds of years of oppression. With Western propaganda? Or actual news that's interpreted as propaganda in the East. 

It's all great in theory, thinking a few good meals and some stories around the fire will change a life time of indoctrination, the reality will be a little different imo. 

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

There are a lot of Russians there... and awful lot of which have run there so they don't get conscripted. The Khazakstan president decreed that government agencies were to help Russians fleeing their country as it was a humanitarian crisis

What are they going to invade Khazakstan with? Space Hoppers, wheelbarrows and water pistols? A Lada with bald tyres for the general

Those Russian talking heads on TV are like Alex Jones was for Trump.

I only posted it for laughs. 

8 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Prigozhin will be hunted down by Ukrainian secret police and likely either killed or taken to Ukraine\The Hague for sentencing. He's up there with Himmler.

Weirldy Wagner has been allowed to operate as a terrorist organisation for years without anyone giving two hoots.

Edited by magnkarl

2 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Weirldy Wagner has been allowed to operate as a terrorist organisation for years without anyone giving two hoots.

Wagner is just a workaround for Russia, a KGB they can deny work for them. 

Long term Russia needs to go the way of Iran or North Korea, isolated from the rest of the developed world. 

20 minutes ago, villa89 said:

isolated from the rest of the developed world. 

Is there any reason they should have the internet,  I am unsure if Russia as a country should have this Western invention?

Would be easy to do and things like bobming maternity wards make me think they have other things to think about.  There is no reason why it can't be throttled to .ru site @ 14.4 K ?

Stops the propoganda to an extent also.

2 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Is there any reason they should have the internet,  I am unsure if Russia as a country should have this Western invention?

Would be easy to do and things like bobming maternity wards make me think they have other things to think about.  There is no reason why it can't be throttled to .ru site @ 14.4 K ?

Stops the propoganda to an extent also.

I am no expert but I doubt Russia could have its internet removed in an easy and peaceful manner.  

But its probably not a good idea anyway.   Without the internet the population would be completely dependent upon official news sites.   

Dissident voices would find it more difficult to communicate and it would become more dangerous to spread alternative views.   

There's also a massive intelligence advantage for NATO being able to monitor Russian internet use and communications.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I am no expert but I doubt Russia could have its internet removed in an easy and peaceful manner.  

But its probably not a good idea anyway.   Without the internet the population would be completely dependent upon official news sites.   

Dissident voices would find it more difficult to communicate and it would become more dangerous to spread alternative views.   

There's also a massive intelligence advantage for NATO being able to monitor Russian internet use and communications.  

Good points,  a blackout now and again maybe ? 

Â