Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s great timing with the G20 being together. They can make a plan but also speak directly with Xi and get him to commit to what he will or won’t do.

They fired the missiles beCause it was the G20. Great planing by Putin

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

Just now, bickster said:

They fired the missiles beCause it was the G20. Great planing by Putin

I realise he likes to put on a show when they are together, but I doubt he planned to land one or 2 in Poland.

I could be wrong, but I expect he’s shitting himself now. 

Just now, Genie said:

I realise he likes to put on a show when they are together, but I doubt he planned to land one or 2 in Poland.

I could be wrong, but I expect he’s shitting himself now. 

He probably doesn’t even know. His generals will have told him that it’s NATO making things up so they can invade Russia.

3 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

spacer.png

The full fledged response might just be an absolute gluttony of weapons delivered to the Ukrainians. It might be even more sanctions and that comment might be in retaliation for a deliberate attack.

There is just no way the Russians have just decided to target a farm in Poland. It’s a stray missile or something shot down by Ukrainians and the last thing anyone needs is huge retaliation. 

OK here was my take when the news broke:

• Likely accidental or unintentional, though did two missiles land in the same place?
  • No justification for an (official) attack on Russia.
  • This is a "justified" opportunity to take control of the skies over Ukraine. Some may have argued the justification was there already
  • Increased political and economic pressure on the Kremlin, it is almost as though Putin is not in charge anymore.

2 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

OK here was my take when the news broke:

• Likely accidental or unintentional, though did two missiles land in the same place?
  • No justification for an (official) attack on Russia.
  • This is a "justified" opportunity to take control of the skies over Ukraine. Some may have argued the justification was there already
  • Increased political and economic pressure on the Kremlin, it is almost as though Putin is not in charge anymore.

If it wasn't a missile shot down by Ukraine, then the bit in bold is incorrect.

The Black Sea Fleet would have been at the bottom of the sea pretty sharpish. It would have been justified as removing the means of delivery

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s a stray missile or something shot down by Ukrainians and the last thing anyone needs is huge retaliation.

These are two entirely different scenarios

Stray missile is 100% Russias fault

There is no sorry guv our missiles are a bit shit defence

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

If it wasn't a missile shot down by Ukraine, then the bit in bold is incorrect.

I get what you are saying, but if it were a misguided missile, I would still err on the side of a cautious response.

If Russia is intentionally taking out Polish granary equipment, I would be scratching my head for a response.

Just now, fruitvilla said:

I get what you are saying, but if it were a misguided missile, I would still err on the side of a cautious response.

If Russia is intentionally taking out Polish granary equipment, I would be scratching my head for a response.

The thing is this war is screwing up the world economy and the G20 have spent a lot of time thinking about how to sort it out. 
This presents an opportunity, with risk of course, but an opportunity nonetheless to get some kind of stability in the medium term.

I just don’t see the Nukes coming out from either side. NATO will come into play, and threaten immediate action if Russia do not retreat. Russia have pulled the tigers tail one too many times.

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

These are two entirely different scenarios

Stray missile is 100% Russias fault

There is no sorry guv our missiles are a bit shit defence

Ok, I understand it’s not a defence, but at the same time, there is a proportionate response here and I’m sure that isn’t quite WW3! 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

The thing is this war is screwing up the world economy and the G20 have spent a lot of time thinking about how to sort it out. 
This presents an opportunity, with risk of course, but an opportunity nonetheless to get some kind of stability in the medium term.

I just don’t see the Nukes coming out from either side. NATO will come into play, and threaten immediate action if Russia do not retreat. Russia have pulled the tigers tail one too many times.

I agree completely ... there is an opportunity, but as Delph says ... it has to be a proportionate response.

2 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

I agree completely ... there is an opportunity, but as Delph says ... it has to be a proportionate response.

I think a middle ground (literally) would be NATO attacking Russian troops in Ukraine, and not Russia itself.

Â