Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

What about Hourihane, Landsbury, Bjarnnason, Bree, Taylor, Hogan and that young 19 year old from Barcelona under 19s? Are they all equally as ignorant signings? I personally don't think they are. 

OK I was sweeping the statement because the thought of Terry makes me, I'm not sure if it's angry of just completely despondent. 

I don't buy this, everyone would want him. One, I have never rated him, he was lucky to be the token local at a club if expensive multinational talent, and was long the average player in the strong Chelsea defensive step up.

And secondly, if he was so "in demand" he would absolutely be in the Premier League next year.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jon_c said:

Putting aside an personal feelings anyone might have about signings like John Terry or Glen Whelan. How can anybody look at this current round of speculation and not worry that we still haven't sorted our scouting system and transfer policy. 

John Terry is the sort of signing I'd expect a 12 year old that's only ever watched Sky Sports to make (or Harry Redknapp).

I think it's quite normal that championship clubs looking to get promoted invest in a couple of veteran players to provide experience and leadership.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jon_c said:

OK I was sweeping the statement because the thought of Terry makes me, I'm not sure if it's angry of just completely despondent. 

I don't buy this, everyone would want him. One, I have never rated him, he was lucky to be the token local at a club if expensive multinational talent, and was long the average player in the strong Chelsea defensive step up.

And secondly, if he was so "in demand" he would absolutely be in the Premier League next year.  

Fair enough, I don't agree that he was a 'token local' though. He genuinely was an excellent central defender, in my opinion at least (whatever that's worth! Lol)

Your second point; I don't think any one has said he's in demand but I would think there would be takers at the lower end of the PL (at least, if not mid table), or china or the US... I might be wrong though. Is your reasoning with this; if he's good we couldn't get him, so if we do get him he must be rubbish? 

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

Love us join the Henry Onyekuru chase. Blues have apparently bid £7.5mil his release clause for him!!

He just wants first team football thats why he hasn't chosen West Ham or Arsenal yet

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Your second point; I don't think any one has said he's in demand but I would think there would be takers at the lower end of the PL (at least, if not mid table), or china or the US... I might be wrong though. Is your reasoning with this; if he's good we couldn't get him, so if we do get him he must be rubbish? 

I have just genuinely never rated him. Coupled with his appalling personality. I've always felt, he's been bigged up on Sky coverage beyond his talent, because he was a great "English hero" story for them. 

On the second point, I just felt people were saying he's great, everyone wants him. I was just pointing out that they don't. But no I think he'll be rubbish where ever he ends up.

11 minutes ago, jon_c said:

I have just genuinely never rated him. Coupled with his appalling personality. I've always felt, he's been bigged up on Sky coverage beyond his talent, because he was a great "English hero" story for them. 

On the second point, I just felt people were saying he's great, everyone wants him. I was just pointing out that they don't. But no I think he'll be rubbish where ever he ends up.

I think he was great at football, an awful human being, but is somewhat of an unknown quantity now... but I still think it's likely he would improve our team.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Love us join the Henry Onyekuru chase. Blues have apparently bid £7.5mil his release clause for him!!

He just wants first team football thats why he hasn't chosen West Ham or Arsenal yet

Looks like an upgraded Adama Traore, more skillful but just as selfish. Saying that I would rather take a gamble on a player like this than bring back Ashley Young for 100k a week.

• Like 1

John Terry is a massive gamble. I would prefer we signed Marc Roberts or Aden Flint. They would play plenty of games and more valuable over the years. 

Terry.. wont play more than 30 games.. and likely to be injured most the time. Probably only coming for the money too. Wont give two stuffs if we go up or not. 

Disappointing. We still seem to be signing on reputation rather than using our scouts. Likely, Bruce will revert to a back 3 as well.. which is just a shit formation. 

Edited by KSV
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KSV said:

John Terry is a massive gamble. I would prefer we signed Marc Roberts or Aden Flint. They would play plenty of games and more valuable over the years. 

Terry.. wont play more than 30 games.. and likely to be injured most the time. Probably only coming for the money too. Wont give two stuffs if we go up or not. 

Disappointing. We still seem to be signing on reputation rather than using our scouts. Likely, Bruce will revert to a back 3 as well.. which is just a shit formation. 

I'd much rather sign Terry than any Barnsley or Bristol City defender.

Why is he "likely" to be injured "most of the time"?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'd much rather sign Terry than any Barnsley or Bristol City defender.

Why is he "likely" to be injured "most of the time"?

because at 36.. your body is farked after 20 years of rigorous training etc. Look at Mile. He cant play 3 in a week. Like i said.. he would have done well to play more than 30. By the way.. would you have said no to Kodjia because he came from Bristol? 

And before any one harps on about experience.. same was said about Joe Cole.. Lescott...  Not saying he will be awful for us.. i am sure he can do a job at this level.. however we have set up a brand new scouting network. lets see the fruits of it.. go find a bargain CB somewhere who can play for the next 3-4 years for us and be able to handle the premier league once we get there. Terry is a stop gap.. and not even a good one. 

Happy to be proven wrong with people bringing up this post in a year from now with Terry holding up the Championship trophy... please do!! 

Edited by KSV
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KSV said:

Flint and Roberts are both good defenders but they haven't made the step up to the Premiership in their careers, most likely due to them not being good enough. If we are to gain promotion this season we would likely have to replace them... Meaning we are signing them for 1 season...

I would much rather sign John Terry for 1 season, a proven quality Premiership player. We have talked about having a team full of losers; we now have the chance of bringing in a winner, someone who is used to winning and has a mentality that this club has missed.

His personal life has nothing to do with his footballing ability, and on a saturday afternoon that's all I care about

• Like 1

Regardless of all the very viable for and against arguments on here, which have been said ten times better than I could say, I hope we get Terry. One year / two year so be it. 

Not my money, Tony's. Added to that thatBlues want him makes me want him more. 

Also our WAGSare probably LIDL quality compared to Chelsea's Harrods wags so the dressing room will be fine. 

36 or not, could be no worse to have in squad on big money than Richards as DC

57 minutes ago, KSV said:

because at 36.. your body is farked after 20 years of rigorous training etc. Look at Mile. He cant play 3 in a week. Like i said.. he would have done well to play more than 30. By the way.. would you have said no to Kodjia because he came from Bristol? 

And before any one harps on about experience.. same was said about Joe Cole.. Lescott...  Not saying he will be awful for us.. i am sure he can do a job at this level.. however we have set up a brand new scouting network. lets see the fruits of it.. go find a bargain CB somewhere who can play for the next 3-4 years for us and be able to handle the premier league once we get there. Terry is a stop gap.. and not even a good one. 

A] It's slightly crazy to suggest that Joleon Lescott is in the same class as John Terry.

B] Mile Jedinak played 33 games last season. If Terry is in the same shape, I'm good with that. 

C] Bristol City are a good attacking team so, naturally, not as concerned about buying their attacking players. (At the time, I thought Kodjia for £13m or whatever was way too expensive). 

• Like 1