Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

If you offered John Terry to ANY second division side IN THE WORLD they would snap your hand off to sign him, the only thing that would be a roadblock would be finances. That isn't a problem for us. If the move is possible it's a no brainer surely.

Regarding the £1m transfer budget and the 3-4 signings only....... Don't believe everything you read?! Surely it's not hard to see how publicly announcing that puts us in a very very strong negotiating position.

I am almost certain we won't be signing Glen Whelan, I think his old Sunderland player Colback is the only credible midfield link. I also believe the Januzaj link has legs but I'm not sure if we could tempt him here. 

27 minutes ago, skarroki said:

If you offered John Terry to ANY second division side IN THE WORLD they would snap your hand off to sign him, the only thing that would be a roadblock would be finances. That isn't a problem for us. If the move is possible it's a no brainer surely.

Regarding the £1m transfer budget and the 3-4 signings only....... Don't believe everything you read?! Surely it's not hard to see how publicly announcing that puts us in a very very strong negotiating position.

I am almost certain we won't be signing Glen Whelan, I think his old Sunderland player Colback is the only credible midfield link. I also believe the Januzaj link has legs but I'm not sure if we could tempt him here. 

If it was reported in the Sun or the Mirror then i'd agree with you.. but Wyness actually did an interview on radio WM and said this himself. You can still listen to it on the catch up service most likely. Its wishful thinking if you think they are just playing down the true budget. There's no way a championship team can spend like we did last season and not have the FFP catch up with us.

Like I said earlier - If we had the finances then i'm up for it as he'd be our 2nd top scorer, but i just don't think we do.. and if it stops us getting a couple of wingers then its actually detrimental to our promotion hopes. We cant go the whole season again with only Albert Adomah as our senior winger at the club.

Oh and we actually had a bid of £500k turned down for Whelan so its not just paper talk.

2 minutes ago, Junxs said:

If it was reported in the Sun or the Mirror then i'd agree with you.. but Wyness actually did an interview on radio WM and said this himself. You can still listen to it on the catch up service most likely. Its wishful thinking if you think they are just playing down the true budget. There's no way a championship team can spend like we did last season and not have the FFP catch up with us.

Like I said earlier - If we had the finances then i'm up for it as he'd be our 2nd top scorer, but i just don't think we do.. and if it stops us getting a couple of wingers then its actually detrimental to our promotion hopes. We cant go the whole season again with only Albert Adomah as our senior winger at the club.

Oh and we actually had a bid of £500k turned down for Whelan so its not just paper talk.

Wyness said we had a 1 million pound transfer budget? lol. NEGATIVE.

He said Bruce had 3 or 4 targets and we could easily acquire them with our budget, especially along with the outgoings.

How you have placed him confirming a 1 million transfer budget is beyond me.

I was talking about the 3-4 signings bit .. highlighted more than i should have.

I'm sure he said that Bruce knows the constraints..or words to that effect and that we will need to sell players.  i;ve tried to listen to it again but works internet thinks I'm in Germany so cant access iplayer stuff

• Like 1

Regarding Terry.

If money was his motivation, we wouldn't even be talking about him. He may not be the player he was, but his "name" is still big enough that in places like China, MLS, he could command a huge salary. 

So lets look at footballing reasons. The bloke is a winner no question, so what would be more appealing to him, hanging around midtable at a Stoke, WBA etc, or the chance to win a league, play at Wembley (playoffs)? A move to the championship would also allow the Chelsea spunkfest to continue. 

'i simply couldn't play in the PL for anyone other than Chelsea, it wouldn't feel right' :bang:

I can certainly see why a move to B6 would be attractive to him. And if he does rock up I doubt very much he would be one £100k plus. The bloke is a rocket polisher, but it would be a big coup to get him down B6. 

14 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

We're signing Alex Bruce. Having John Terry there is a just a way for Bruce to say that he tried to sign him but ultimately he wanted more than the £10k/week we offered him.

Just like the good old Doug days.

15 hours ago, Godders said:

If we sign Terry, am I right in thinking that in the last couple of summers, we'd have signed a current PL champion? 

Nice to see we've still got pulling power if true, even in the Championship. 

Yeah, because that transfer policy has gone incredibly well for us. 

9 hours ago, terrytini said:

I'm not sure our defence IS fine.

I know the stats make it look like the issue is up front but I wonder if one of the reasons for Bruce not letting guys get forward is a lack of belief that Baker can defend well when exposed ?

If Terry coming in meant less reliance on Jedi playing, or another defensive MF, and meaning Lansbury and CH having more licence to support a front three, it could be that this move DOES help us in an attacking sense.

It's "fine" for a top 10 championship finish. LOL

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Signing Terry will just be like when we signed Joe Cole, waste of money.

Linked with Colback today, another Westwood no thanks.

I might be wrong but wasn't Cole's injury record poor compared to Terry's even before we signed him? As I've said, I hate the man, but as a footballer most bottom half PL teams would take him, as would any team in the Champ. I don't really care either way though if we sign him TBH, I think we need more than one new player to make us title contenders.

Edited by alreadyexists

25 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Dr T has told a fan she will have good news next week. 

I think it's looking very likely. 

I saw that, I think she plays for Villa Ladies though rather than a fan, so it might be to do with that?

Edited by alreadyexists

Putting aside an personal feelings anyone might have about signings like John Terry or Glen Whelan. How can anybody look at this current round of speculation and not worry that we still haven't sorted our scouting system and transfer policy. 

John Terry is the sort of signing I'd expect a 12 year old that's only ever watched Sky Sports to make (or Harry Redknapp).

• Like 2

I didn't see Terry play last season but he was slowing down noticeably the season before last. I wouldn't go near him if we were in the Premier League but in the Championship I think he'd be a good addition provided we are not invested too heavily in him.

Whelan and Colback - no and no.

Edited by Michael118

His previous quality is not in question but realistically how many games is Terry going to be able to play in the Championship? When you consider that, why change an already settled centreback partnership to accommodate Terry when fit?

This signing if it happens would make no sense to me at all considering the above and his wages.

Villa need to concentrate whatever budget they have on a better DM than Jedinak, a better goalkeeper and a winger to balance the squad.

Edited by striker
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, jon_c said:

Putting aside an personal feelings anyone might have about signings like John Terry or Glen Whelan. How can anybody look at this current round of speculation and not worry that we still haven't sorted our scouting system and transfer policy. 

How can anyone read a few bits of speculation and make sweeping statements like

'we still haven't sorted our scouting system and transfer policy' 

22 minutes ago, jon_c said:

John Terry is the sort of signing I'd expect a 12 year old that's only ever watched Sky Sports to make (or Harry Redknapp).

John Terry is the sort of signing that every manager in the championship, and many in PL would love to make. 

Edited by av1

21 minutes ago, jon_c said:

What about Hourihane, Landsbury, Bjarnnason, Bree, Taylor, Hogan and that young 19 year old from Barcelona under 19s? Are they all equally as ignorant signings that a 12 year old would make? I personally don't think they are. 

Edited by alreadyexists