Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

His views were (sic) that he is never gunna be a prolific target man especially in a tippy-tippy type team like Le Arse but at a lower level more direct team he could thrive.  Like  Heskey was in his prime,  he is the type of player strikers love to play alongside, unselfish he creates space and holds the ball up well, is physical and could be an ideal foil for our current crop of strikers. Especially as Bruce's teams tend to play more direct football. His words not mine...

I can see his points and the fact he is on a free is an added bonus as we could bring him in for a season or two whilst developing Davies, RHM or McKirdy with only wages to cover. Sanogo, Kodija, Hogan, McCormack with the kids to supplement gives us ample options but more importantly goals. Yesterday I would of said no, today after talking to an expert I say sign him up. 

I think it definitely makes sense.  We need a big strong powerful CF who can play that Heskey/Costa type of role.  Kodjia can play up top and hold his own, but he takes a lot of knocks, we need someone who can bully defenders and create space for him and/or Hogan.

First choices would have been Tammy Abraham (not now he's gone to Newcastle) or Sam Gallagher (being quoted at £7m) but perhaps Sanogo is the shrewd option?  I know he hasn't exactly ripped up trees in his career so far, but as you say he's free plus the manager might be able to put an arm round his shoulder and get a tune out of him?  

Bruce definitely likes him going off past reports too: 2015 article on Bruce's admiration for Sanogo

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

Options are very limited for a Championship club with a small transfer budget.

Of the topscorers this season:

Chris Wood (27 goals) - Cost £3m
Glenn Murray (23 goals) - Cost £3m
Tammy Abraham (23 goals) - Loan
Dwight Gayle (23 goals) - Cost £10m
Yann Kermorgant (19 goals) - Cost £500k

The value is out there.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

The value is out there.

We don't need a striker though but I know what you mean. That list proves that this league shot all that if you attack and create. Murray and Gayle won't get 20 between them next year. We can easily improve our squad with loans and frees. To improve the team significantly we need a to spend a bit added to better coaching! 

• Like 2

I'd be very happy with Sanogo on a free to be honest especially if wages were modest. No shame in not making it at Arsenal and the loan deals he's had were poorly chosen. Milik and injuries kept him out of the Ajax team, Charlton were garbage while Palace were managed by Pardew. He does seem injury prone though.

7 hours ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

I think it definitely makes sense.  We need a big strong powerful CF who can play that Heskey/Costa type of role.  Kodjia can play up top and hold his own, but he takes a lot of knocks, we need someone who can bully defenders and create space for him and/or Hogan.

First choices would have been Tammy Abraham (not now he's gone to Newcastle) or Sam Gallagher (being quoted at £7m) but perhaps Sanogo is the shrewd option?  I know he hasn't exactly ripped up trees in his career so far, but as you say he's free plus the manager might be able to put an arm round his shoulder and get a tune out of him?  

Bruce definitely likes him going off past reports too: 2015 article on Bruce's admiration for Sanogo

Gallagher would be the option that I would go for if we are up for spending £7m on another striker. He is big, wins balls in the air for fun and he scores goals as well. It is a pity that Chelsea have loaned Abraham to Newcastle but there must be other strikers that could do a job for us on loan at top six PL clubs and offer another option if Bruce doesn't fancy Sanogo or if he doesn't fancy B6.   

Edited by John

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

No way in hell is he coming back here where we currently are as a club

Favourites to go up?  Oh I dunno* ... :)

* but seriously, I agree.  Young is way too good to be swimming in this slurry pit of a division at the moment.

18 hours ago, bobzy said:

The value is out there.

Couldn't agree more

17 hours ago, sidcow said:

If it helps my mate Martin has a house he can stay in for a while.

He maybe in a th-rush to get that.