Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

They play different positions anyway, but is there anything to suggest Jota is better than Snodgrass?

Jota scored 12 in 23 for Brentford from Jan 1st whereas Snodgrass scored 0 in 15 for West Ham. 

Time will tell but, for me, Blues did the best business in terms of the two above players.

7 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Jota scored 12 in 23 for Brentford from Jan 1st whereas Snodgrass scored 0 in 15 for West Ham. 

Time will tell but, for me, Blues did the best business in terms of the two above players.

Hogan scored 14 in 25 for Brentford up to January before joining us. Didn't count for much did it?

• Like 2

I'd of liked us to of got in some cover for left side of defence but I'm kind of happy Bruce didn't get to sign anymore players. Might as well give a youth player a chance if needed while we hover in midtable until Bruce is sacked

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Agree with this, Naz. Our support was incredible in the lower divisions, but we did not stay there long. I think if we were stuck there for 5/10 years our support would definitely diminish. I don't mean not supporting the club - just without the same enthusiasm.

I could understand if this happens.

As for myself, I am not a pureblood, being an overseas fan converted in '98. Aside from the Australian national team, Villa are the only team I can watch, even though it is soooo painful.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, thunderball said:

Hogan scored 14 in 25 for Brentford up to January before joining us. Didn't count for much did it?

The same could happen with any signing. We could get a player nobody wants and he could be a world beater. Besides, Hogan could go on to have a similar scoring record for Villa so your point could yet be proved irrelevant. 

Stevo asked for evidence to show Jota was worthy of buying and I gave an example of that.

5 hours ago, AJ said:

I could understand if this happens.

As for myself, I am not a pureblood, being an overseas fan converted in '98. Aside from the Australian national team, Villa are the only team I can watch, even though it is soooo painful.

lots of similarities watching the socceroos last night and villa every other night....   in terms of pain of course!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Agree with this, Naz. Our support was incredible in the lower divisions, but we did not stay there long. I think if we were stuck there for 5/10 years our support would definitely diminish. I don't mean not supporting the club - just without the same enthusiasm.

It was only one season last time (87-88) but it was 8 long seasons the time before that (67-68 - 74-75) and that seemed a hell of a long time to me ;).  

Attendances were not as high as they are currently back then both before and after our relegation. We had 10 gates of under 20,000 in our relegation season (66-67) and only 5 of over 20,000 during the following season in Division 2. The arrival of Tommy Docherty played a big part in boosting our attendances (our average home attendance was 34,669 for the last 9 home games of 68-69). 

I think our home attendance has held up very well given what we have paid and what we have been watching for that in recent years. Villa fans have shown that we are not fickle when it comes to turning up at Villa Park. This is now our second longest stay outside of the top flight (we came back up first time in 37-38 & 59-60). I hope our stay will not go beyond 2 seasons this time and trust that the players we now have available following this transfer window will be able to see to that.   

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Skills said:

lots of similarities watching the socceroos last night and villa every other night....   in terms of pain of course!

I know! :angry:

8 hours ago, villarocker said:

Cherry picking that period for Snodgrass is pretty convenient. 

What about the 6 months prior to that? 7 goals and 3 assists in 19 games at Premier League level?

Honestly, I don't know much about Jota. But I imagine if Leeds had bought him instead of Blues then nobody would be batting an eyelid. but because our neighbours have purchased him then everybody's wetting their pants.

Snodgrass will be a good acquisition. Blues will struggle.

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

What about the 6 months prior to that? 7 goals and 3 assists in 19 games at Premier League level?

Honestly, I don't know much about Jota. But I imagine if Leeds had bought him instead of Blues then nobody would be batting an eyelid. but because our neighbours have purchased him then everybody's wetting their pants.

Jota  may  have helped get the best from hogan but we have plenty of players now and I'm delighted with snogdrass as he is more versatile and I think will be a huge player for us .

As for blues top 8 at best - no threat to us . 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Leeds buying him would've been worse - they already look pretty strong. 

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Leeds buying him would've been worse - they already look pretty strong. 

I agree, which kind of reinforces my point.

Blues buying him is probably a good thing. because they're shit, and even if he's good it'll just make them slightly less shit.

But because it's Blues people are suddenly panicking.