Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

True , and the parachute payments for those relegated will be far more than we got at the time - it really is get up this season or face a long wait in my opinion .

I honestly believe that if we don't go up this season we are finished as a competitive football club.

We will just become a nobody in football as have Ipswich, Forest, Wednesday, Pompey, Leeds

After this season the money becomes even tighter due to FFP. Most of our better players will realise that we are not going up and will leave to sides that will compete for promotion, others on higher wages will have to be sold to balance the books.

God it's depressing when you think about it, but so far this season I can't see us being competitive enough in this league.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

McCormack staying according to the daily star as we want loan to a rival only permanent deal. Time to start using him brucie

Sensible decision. 

Can still contribute to this squad. Bruce needs to get over any issues from last year and get something out of him. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Seems Harry is in for Wiltshire and Alex song too 

Alex Song is potentially a very good signing for them.

It seems like he's been around forever but he's still only 29.

I would have liked us to go for him. A far better player than Glenn Whelan in my opinion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I honestly believe that if we don't go up this season we are finished as a competitive football club.

We will just become a nobody in football as have Ipswich, Forest, Wednesday, Pompey, Leeds

After this season the money becomes even tighter due to FFP. Most of our better players will realise that we are not going up and will leave to sides that will compete for promotion, others on higher wages will have to be sold to balance the books.

God it's depressing when you think about it, but so far this season I can't see us being competitive enough in this league.

I can understand the sentiment, and yes it was a disastrous time to be relegated, but I think this is a bit overdramatic.  There will still always be 3 teams that get promoted and we will always be a bigger club down here - have bigger support and have better resources for developing kids etc - so (given the right manager) we would always be in the mix to go up.  FFP constraints apply to all clubs in the division.

But I agree it's depressing seeing the cash that the 'small' clubs in the PL can now splash about.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Seems Harry is in for Wiltshire and Alex song too 

When we were linked with Wilshere recently Bruce suggested we would be interested as would most clubs but gave the impression that we had next to no chance of getting him (which is a slightly better chance than I thought we then had).

I would guess the same applies to Small Heath now but if there is a 1% chance of him signing for them I want to see us giving him the option of signing for us instead. He is too good a player to be playing on the dark side of the city for a season. 

Arsenal bidding £92m for lemar - the world has gone mad , even average players these days seem to be going for £20m plus in the premiership these days - how much would it take next summer to buy a team to compete if we do go up . 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rubberman said:

I can understand the sentiment, and yes it was a disastrous time to be relegated, but I think this is a bit overdramatic.  There will still always be 3 teams that get promoted and we will always be a bigger club down here - have bigger support and have better resources for developing kids etc - so (given the right manager) we would always be in the mix to go up.  FFP constraints apply to all clubs in the division.

But I agree it's depressing seeing the cash that the 'small' clubs in the PL can now splash about.

This is not true, when Leeds went down they were a 'big club', same with all of the clubs I mentioned previously. Unfortunately we are only just hanging onto our big club status...

We currently have bigger support but this will dwindle over the next few years should we stay down in this division. It's noticeable at Villa Park already this season, a couple of losses and people stop coming.

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Arsenal bidding £92m for lemar - the world has gone mad , even average players these days seem to be going for £20m plus in the premiership these days - how much would it take next summer to buy a team to compete if we do go up . 

If Arsenal made the signings they needed to a few years ago, they'd probably have one of the best squads for £92m in total. 

This is a good example of being cheap in the short term hurting you financially in the long term. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Eastie said:

One hit wonder.

Has he done anything since 2006?

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Which is why it is so important to create a sustainable, modern football club like Southampton did a decade ago and have forward thinking coaching staff like Wagner or Jokanović. I'm afraid that Wyness, RDM & Bruce have blown Tony's load on a feeble, outdated and ultimately ignorant approach to trying to get us promoted.

2 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I'm still waiting for some of these fun deadline day stories, like the one when Odemwingie drove down to QPR on his own intitiative to push through a deal, but then had to drive back.

Micah and Gabby - get in your cars!! 

Apparantly a West Ham player has had a medical and agreed terms at Rennes when West Ham have said he was even not for sale and had no permission  to speak to them :)

• Haha 1